Marcella Nunez Smith MD, MHS
Associate Professor of Medicine (General Medicine) and of Epidemiology (Chronic Diseases); Core Faculty, Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program; Faculty, Global Health Leadership Institute
Healthcare workforce diversity; Cancer disparities; Patient assessment of healthcare experiences; Healthcare system strengthening to address chronic disease in low and middle resource settings; Discrimination in health care systems; Role of race in professional experiences
- National Institutes of Health: Eastern Caribbean Health Outcomes Research Network (ECHORN); Formation of a research collaborative across the Eastern Caribbean islands that will recruit and follow a community-dwelling adult cohort to examine chronic disease burden and to enhance health outcomes research and leadership capacity in the region. Role: PI.
- National Institutes of Health: Validating the Patient-reported Experiences of Discrimination in Care Tool (PreDict). This study advances preliminary work supported by YCCI and NIH to finalize and test an item bank, the Patient-Reported Experiences of Discrimination in Care Tool (PreDict), that can be used to assess the patient-centeredness of the care experience, to compare and report on hospital-level performance, and to ultimately improve the quality of care delivery within healthcare organizations. Role: PI.
- Hsieh E, Nunez-Smith M, Henrich JB. Needs and Priorities in Women's Health Training: Perspectives from an Internal Medicine Residency Program. J Womens Health. 2013 Aug;22(8):667-72.
- Macintosh T, Desai MM, Lewis TT, Jones BA, Nunez-Smith M. Socially-Assigned Race, Healthcare Discrimination and Preventive Healthcare Services. PLoS One. 2013 May 21
- Nunez-Smith M, Ciarleglio M, Sandoval-Minero T, Elumn J, Castillo-Page L, Peduzzi P, Bradley E. Medical school faculty promotion in the United States: Is there institutional variation by race/ethnicity? American Journal of Public Health. 2012 May;102(5):852-858. Epub 2012 Mar 15.
- Nunez-Smith M, Bradley EH, Herrin J, Santana C, Curry L, Normand SL, Krumholz HM. Quality of care in the US Territories. Arch Int Med. Published online June 27, 2011. doi:10.1001/archinternmed.2011.284
- Nunez-Smith M, Pilgrim N, Wynia M, Desai MM, Jones B, Bright C, Krumholz HM, Bradley EH. Race/Ethnicity and Workplace Discrimination: Results from a National Survey of Practicing Physicians. J Gen Intern Med. 2009 Sep 1: 24(11): 1198-1204. [PMID: 19727966].
- Babaria P, Abedin S, Nunez-Smith M. The Effect of Gender on the Clinical Clerkship Experiences of Female Medical Students: Results from a Qualitative Study. Acad Med. 2009 Jul; 84(7):859-866. [PMID: 19550176].
- Nunez-Smith M, Curry L, Berg D, Bigby JA, Krumholz HM, Bradley, EH. The Impact of Race on the Professional Lives of Physicians of African Descent. Ann Intern Med. 2007 Jan 2; 146(1) 45-51. [PMID: 17200221].