Health Services Research; Pain; Women's Health; Smoking Cessation; Veterans Health
Public Health Interests
Cancer screening; Health promotion-disease prevention
I am a Professor of Medicine at Yale School of Medicine and Section Chief of General Internal Medicine at the VA Connecticut Healthcare System. In this role, I oversee the academic development and clinical productivity of the hospitalists, primary care, and research faculty based at VA Connecticut. I also serve as the Director of the Pain Research Informatics, Multimorbidities & Education (PRIME) Center of Excellence at VA Connecticut, a 5-year center grant with over $3 million in infrastructure support for multidisciplinary research focusing on improving pain, and managing multiple comorbid conditions, in veterans. Much of PRIME’s work addresses T4 translation, as it focuses on organizational change to improve the care of veterans with pain and associated chronic conditions. Part of PRIME’s work involves the use of information technology to promote guideline-concordant care.
Extensive Research Description
I have extensive experience researching health behaviors among veterans, including female veterans. I was Principal Investigator (PI) and served as Medical Director of the Comprehensive Women’s Clinic at the Durham VA Medical Center, and in 2000, I received a VA/HSR&D Career Development Award to study health behavior interventions among women veterans. I have served as PI on NIH- and VA-supported grants to implement evidence-based tobacco-dependence treatment for smokers in the VA system. I have also served as co-investigator on multiple NIH (NHLBI, NIDDK, NCI) and VA patient-oriented studies focusing on health behaviors such as smoking cessation and weight loss. I have also served as Deputy Editor of the Journal of General Internal Medicine, and Lead Editor for three Supplements to this journal.
I continue to serve as a mentor for both pre-doctoral and postdoctoral fellows interested in pursuing health service research careers, and was awarded one of the first women's health fellowship grants focusing on health services research. In 2004, I took over the direction of a pre-doctoral T32 that promoted clinical research careers for medical students, which later was incorporated into Duke’s CTSA. In addition, I served as PI on the resultant CTSA TL1 pre-doctoral research training grant from 2006 to 2012, advising up to 15 medical students annually, helping them identify projects and mentors, overseeing clinical research methods coursework, and developing their presentation skills. While an Associate Dean for Career Development at the University of Connecticut, prior to my arrival at Yale this year, I developed an innovative program focused on writing K awards that includes a structured curriculum and provides salary support for junior faculty preparing their K awards. Since moving to Yale, I have received funding from the VA to start a postdoctoral fellowship in health services research. In my career, I have mentored over 30 trainees (nine pre-doctoral, twelve post-doctoral and nine faculty members), including several VA researchers who obtained VA CDAs.
- Bastian LA, Driscoll M, Heapy A, Becker WC, Goulet JL, Kerns RD, DeRycke EC, Perez E, Lynch S, Kristin Mattocks K, Kroll-Desrosiers AR, Brandt C, Skanderson M, Bathulapalli H, Haskell SG. Cigarette Smoking Status and Receipt of an Opioid Prescription among Veterans of Recent Wars. Pain Medicine. 2016; in press.
- Bastian LA, Gray K, DeRycke E, Mirza S, Gierisch J, Haskell SG, Magruder KM, Wakelee HA, Wang A, Yo GYF, LaCroix AZ. Differences in Active and Passive Smoking Exposure and Lung Cancer incidence between Veterans and non-Veterans in the WHI. The Gerontologist. 2016;56 Suppl 1:S102-S111.
- Bastian LA, Fish LJ, Gierisch JM, Stechuchak KM, Grambow SC, Keefe FJ. Impact smoking cessation on subsequent pain intensity among chronically ill Veterans enrolled in a smoking cessation trial. Journal of Pain Symptom and Management. 2015;50 (6):822-29.
- Majumder S, Gierisch J, Bastian LA. The association of smoking and acute pancreatitis: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Pancreas 2015;44:540-46.
- Bastian LA, Fish LJ, Peterson BL, Biddle AK, Garst J, Lyna P, Molner S, Bepler G, Kelley M, Keefe FJ, McBride CM. Assessment of the impact of adjunctive proactive telephone counseling to promote smoking cessation among lung cancer patients’ social networks. Am J Health Promotion 2013; 27(3):181-90.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Gray KE, Katon JG, LeBlanc ES, Woods NF, Bastian LA, Reiber GE, Weitlauf JC, Nelson KM, LaCroix AZ: Vasomotor symptom characteristics: are they risk factors for incident diabetes? Menopause. 2017 Dec 4; 2017 Dec 4. PMID: 29206771
- Rinne ST, Elwy AR, Liu CF, Wiener RS, Thayer L, Gerity A, Bastian LA: Implementation of guideline-based therapy for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Differences between men and women veterans. Chron Respir Dis. 2017 Nov; 2017 Jun 15. PMID: 28618875
- Perez MF, Bastian LA, Oncken C: COUNTERPOINT: Are Advanced Practice Professionals More Likely to Achieve Better Tobacco Cessation Results than Physicians? No. Chest. 2017 Sep; 2017 Apr 13. PMID: 28414033
- Perez MF, Bastian LA, Oncken C: Rebuttal From Dr Perez et al. Chest. 2017 Sep; 2017 Apr 13. PMID: 28414032
- Bastian LA, Brandt CA, Justice AC: Measuring Multimorbidity: A Risky Business. J Gen Intern Med. 2017 Sep. PMID: 28653231
- Green KT, Wilson SM, Dennis PA, Runnals JJ, Williams RA, Bastian LA, Beckham JC, Dedert EA, Kudler HS, Straits-Tröster K, Gierisch JM, Calhoun PS: Cigarette Smoking and Musculoskeletal Pain Severity Among Male and Female Afghanistan/Iraq Era Veterans. Pain Med. 2017 Sep 1. PMID: 28340108
- Wilson SM, Pacek LR, Dennis PA, Bastian LA, Beckham JC, Calhoun PS: Veterans Living with HIV: A High-Risk Group for Cigarette Smoking. AIDS Behav. 2017 Jul. PMID: 28194586
- Goldstein KM, Stechuchak KM, Zullig LL, Oddone EZ, Olsen MK, McCant FA, Bastian LA, Batch BC, Bosworth HB: Impact of Gender on Satisfaction and Confidence in Cholesterol Control Among Veterans at Risk for Cardiovascular Disease. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2017 Jul; 2017 Feb 13. PMID: 28192012
- Rinne ST, Elwy AR, Bastian LA, Wong ES, Wiener RS, Liu CF: Impact of Multisystem Health Care on Readmission and Follow-up Among Veterans Hospitalized for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Med Care. 2017 Jul. PMID: 28288076
- Bastian LA, Driscoll MA, Heapy AA, Becker WC, Goulet JL, Kerns RD, DeRycke EC, Perez E, Lynch SM, Mattocks K, Kroll-Desrosiers AR, Brandt CA, Skanderson M, Bathulapalli H, Haskell SG: Cigarette Smoking Status and Receipt of an Opioid Prescription Among Veterans of Recent Wars. Pain Med. 2017 Jun 1. PMID: 27659441
- Rinne ST, Hebert PL, Wong ES, Au DH, Bastian LA, Nembhard IM, Neely EL, Sulc CA, Liu CF: Organizational Practices Affecting Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Readmissions. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017 May 1. PMID: 28459333
- Goldstein KM, Oddone EZ, Bastian LA, Olsen MK, Batch BC, Washington DL: Characteristics and Health Care Preferences Associated with Cardiovascular Disease Risk among Women Veterans. Womens Health Issues. 2017 Nov - Dec; 2017 Sep 8. PMID: 28890128
- Trentalange M, Bielawski M, Murphy TE, Lessard K, Brandt C, Bean-Mayberry B, Maisel NC, Wright SM, Allore H, Skanderson M, Reyes-Harvey E, Gaetano V, Haskell S, Bastian LA: Patient Perception of Enough Time Spent With Provider Is a Mechanism for Improving Women Veterans' Experiences With VA Outpatient Health Care. Eval Health Prof. 2016 Dec; 2016 Feb 22. PMID: 26908572
- Goldstein KM, Zullig LL, Bastian LA, Bosworth HB: Statin Adherence: Does Gender Matter? Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2016 Nov. PMID: 27696318
- Calhoun PS, Wilson SM, Hicks TA, Thomas SP, Dedert EA, Hair LP, Bastian LA, Beckham JC: Racial and Sociodemographic Disparities in Internet Access and eHealth Intervention Utilization Among Veteran Smokers. J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2016 Sep 15; 2016 Sep 15. PMID: 27633267
- Rosenbaum DL, Kimerling R, Pomernacki A, Goldstein KM, Yano EM, Sadler AG, Carney D, Bastian LA, Bean-Mayberry BA, Frayne SM: Binge Eating among Women Veterans in Primary Care: Comorbidities and Treatment Priorities. Womens Health Issues. 2016 Jul-Aug; 2016 Mar 10. PMID: 26972486
- Kroll-Desrosiers AR, Skanderson M, Bastian LA, Brandt CA, Haskell S, Kerns RD, Mattocks KM: Receipt of Prescription Opioids in a National Sample of Pregnant Veterans Receiving Veterans Health Administration Care. Womens Health Issues. 2016 Mar-Apr; 2015 Nov 6. PMID: 26549242
- Patel KV, Cochrane BB, Turk DC, Bastian LA, Haskell SG, Woods NF, Zaslavsky O, Wallace RB, Kerns RD: Association of Pain With Physical Function, Depressive Symptoms, Fatigue, and Sleep Quality Among Veteran and non-Veteran Postmenopausal Women. Gerontologist. 2016 Feb. PMID: 26768395
- Bastian LA, Gray KE, DeRycke E, Mirza S, Gierisch JM, Haskell SG, Magruder KM, Wakelee HA, Wang A, Ho GY, LaCroix AZ: Differences in Active and Passive Smoking Exposures and Lung Cancer Incidence Between Veterans and Non-Veterans in the Women's Health Initiative. Gerontologist. 2016 Feb. PMID: 26768384
- Bastian LA, Hayes PM, Haskell SG, Atkins D, Reiber GE, LaCroix AZ, Yano EM: Improving Our Understanding of Health Issues in Older Women Veterans. Gerontologist. 2016 Feb. PMID: 26768383
- Volkman JE, DeRycke EC, Driscoll MA, Becker WC, Brandt CA, Mattocks KM, Haskell SG, Bathulapalli H, Goulet JL, Bastian LA: Smoking Status and Pain Intensity Among OEF/OIF/OND Veterans. Pain Med. 2015 Sep; 2015 Apr 27. PMID: 25917639
- Bastian LA, Trentalange M, Murphy TE, Brandt C, Bean-Mayberry B, Maisel NC, Wright SM, Gaetano VS, Allore H, Skanderson M, Reyes-Harvey E, Yano EM, Rose D, Haskell S: Association between women veterans' experiences with VA outpatient health care and designation as a women's health provider in primary care clinics. Womens Health Issues. 2014 Nov-Dec; 2014 Oct 28. PMID: 25442706
- Mattocks KM, Frayne S, Phibbs CS, Yano EM, Zephyrin L, Shryock H, Haskell S, Katon J, Sullivan JC, Weinreb L, Ulbricht C, Bastian LA: Five-year trends in women veterans' use of VA maternity benefits, 2008-2012. Womens Health Issues. 2014 Jan-Feb. PMID: 24439945