Lauren E Cohn MD
Associate Professor of Medicine (Pulmonary)
Chronic inflammation in asthma; Mechanisms of mucus metaplasia; Airway epithelial functions in airway diseases and host defense
Dr. Cohn's research focuses on airway inflammation. Ongoing projects in the laboratory include (1) defining inflammatory pathways that inhibit allergic airway inflammation and asthma, (2) investigations of the airway epithelium in its contribution to lung inflammation, (3) immunologic pathways that provide protection in inflammatory diseases and mycobacterial infection.
- Cohn L, Elias JA, Chupp GL. Asthma: Mechanisms of Disease Persistence and Progression. Annu. Rev Immunol. 2004. 22: 789-815.
- Niu N, Le Goff MK, Li F, Rahman M, Homer RJ, Cohn L. A novel pathway that regulates inflammatory disease in the respiratory tract. 2007. J. Immunol. 178:3846-3855.
- Caceres AI, Brackmann M, Elia MD, Bessac BF, Del Camino D, D'Amours M, Witek JS, Fanger CM, Chong JA, Hayward NJ, Homer RJ, Cohn L, Huang X, Moran MM, Jordt SE. A sensory neuronal ion channel essential for airway inflammation and hyperreactivity in asthma. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2009. 106:9099-104.
- Niu N, Laufer T, Homer RJ, Cohn L. Cutting Edge: Limiting MHC class II expression to DC alters the ability to develop Th2-dependent allergic airway inflammation. 2009. J. Immunol. 183: 1523-1527.
- Curran DR and Cohn L. Advances in Mucous CellMetaplasia: A Plug for Mucus as a Therapeutic Focus in Chronic Airway Disease, Am. J. Respir. Cell Mol. Biol. 2010. 42: 268-275.
- Wright PL, YU J, Di P, Homer RJ, Elias JA, Cohn L, Sessa,W. Epithelial reticulon-4B (Nogo-B) is an endogenous regulator of asthmatic inflammation. 2010. J Exp Med. 2010. 207:2595-2607.
- Mitchell C, Provost K, Niu N, Homer RJ, Cohn L. Interferon-gamma acts on the airway epithelium to inhibit local and systemic pathology in allergic airway disease. J. Immunol. 2011. 187:3815-20.
- Cohn L, Hawrylowicz C, Ray A Chapter 13: Biology of Lymphocytes, in Middleton's Allergy: Principles and Practice ed 8 (In Press).