Kathleen M Akgün MD, MS
Assistant Professor of Medicine (Pulmonary)
Pulmonary disease in HIV and other immunocompromised hosts,
Aging, HIV and critical illness
Palliative and end of life care in the intensive care unit (ICU),
Resident debriefing and emotional distress during training
Dr. Akgun's research is focused on critical illness in immunocompromised patients. Specifically, she is working with the Veteran's Aging Cohort Study (VACS) to investigate the risk factors for and incidence of intensive care unit (ICU) admissions in HIV-infected patients. She received funding from the American Subspecialty Physicians-American College of Chest Physicians CHEST Foundation investigating ICU admissions in older HIV-infected patients and the impact of age on ICU admission diagnosis and outcome in this patient population. She is currently funded by VISN from from the Deparment of Veteran Affairs to describe patient- and ICU-level risk factors for decrements in quality of life outcomes in ICU survivors. She is beginning to identify frequency and content of family meetings for patients admitted to the ICU using electronic health records.
- Akgün KM, Gordon K, Pisani M, Fried T, McGinnis KA, Tate JP, Butt AA, Gibert CL, Huang L, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Rimland D, Justice AC, Crothers K. Risk factors for hospitalization and medical intensive care unit (MICU) admission among HIV infected Veterans. J Acquired Immunodef Syndrome. 2013 Jan 1;62(1):52-9. PMID: 23111572.
- Akgün KM, Tate JP, Pisani M, Fried T, Butt AA, Gibert CL, Huang L, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Rimland D, Justice AC, Crothers K. Medical ICU admission diagnoses and outcomes in Human Immunodeficiency Virus-infected and Virus-uninfected Veterans in the combination antiretroviral era. Crit Care Med. 2013; 41(6): 1458-67. PMID: 23507717.
- Akgün K and Siegel MD. Using standardized family members to teach end-of-life skills to critical care trainees. Crit Care Med, 2012; 40(6):1978-80. PMID: 22610211.
- Akgün K, Crothers K, Pisani M. Epidemiology and management of common pulmonary disease in older persons. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 2012; 67(3):276-91. PMID: 22337938.
- Akgün K and Siegel MD. Stranger in a strange land: A traveler’s guide to chronic critical illness. Crit Care Med, 2012; 40 (1): 312-13. PMID: 22179354.
- Akgün K, Huang, L, Morris, A, Justice, AC, Pisani, M and Crothers, K. Critical Illness in HIV-Infected Patients in the Era of Combination Antiretroviral Therapy. Proceedings of the American Thoracic Society, 2011 June; 8(3):301-7. PMID: 21653532.
- Akgün K, Pisani, M, Crothers, K. Akgün, K, Crothers, K and Pisani, M. The Changing Epidemiology of HIV/AIDS Patients in the Intensive Care Unit. J Intensive Care Med 2011 May-June; 26(3):151-64. PMID: 21436170.
- Akgün K, Pisani M, Crothers K. Epidemiology and outcomes for HIV/AIDS patients in the intensive care unit. J Intensive Care Med, 2011;26(3):151-64.
- Akgün K, Huang L, Morris A, Justice AC, Pisani M, Crothers K. Critical illness in HIV-infected patients in the era of combination antiretroviral therapy. Proceedings of the American Thoracic Society, 2011 June; 8(3):301-7. PMID: 21653532.