Aging; Critical Care; Epidemiology; HIV; Intensive Care Units; Terminal Care; Veterans; Pulmonary Medicine; Immunocompromised Host; Palliative Medicine
Dr. Akgun's research is focused on critical illness in immunocompromised patients. Specifically, she is working with the Veteran's Aging Cohort Study (VACS) to investigate the risk factors for and incidence of intensive care unit (ICU) admissions in HIV-infected patients. She received funding from the American Subspecialty Physicians-American College of Chest Physicians CHEST Foundation investigating ICU admissions in older HIV-infected patients and the impact of age on ICU admission diagnosis and outcome in this patient population. She was also funded by VISN from from the Deparment of Veteran Affairs to describe patient- and ICU-level risk factors for decrements in quality of life outcomes in ICU survivors. She is beginning to identify frequency and content of family meetings for patients admitted to the ICU using electronic health records.
Specialized Terms: Critical care, Pulmonary disease in HIV and other immunocompromised hosts, Aging, HIV and critical illness Palliative and end of life care in the intensive care unit (ICU), Resident debriefing and emotional distress during training
- Akgün KM, Gordon K, Pisani M, Fried T, McGinnis KA, Tate JP, Butt AA, Gibert CL, Huang L, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Rimland D, Justice AC, Crothers K. Risk factors for hospitalization and medical intensive care unit (MICU) admission among HIV infected Veterans. J Acquired Immunodef Syndrome. 2013 Jan 1;62(1):52-9. PMID: 23111572.
- Akgün KM, Tate JP, Pisani M, Fried T, Butt AA, Gibert CL, Huang L, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Rimland D, Justice AC, Crothers K. Medical ICU admission diagnoses and outcomes in Human Immunodeficiency Virus-infected and Virus-uninfected Veterans in the combination antiretroviral era. Crit Care Med. 2013; 41(6): 1458-67. PMID: 23507717.
- Akgün K and Siegel MD. Using standardized family members to teach end-of-life skills to critical care trainees. Crit Care Med, 2012; 40(6):1978-80. PMID: 22610211.
- Akgün K, Crothers K, Pisani M. Epidemiology and management of common pulmonary disease in older persons. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 2012; 67(3):276-91. PMID: 22337938.
- Akgün K and Siegel MD. Stranger in a strange land: A traveler’s guide to chronic critical illness. Crit Care Med, 2012; 40 (1): 312-13. PMID: 22179354.
- Akgün K, Huang, L, Morris, A, Justice, AC, Pisani, M and Crothers, K. Critical Illness in HIV-Infected Patients in the Era of Combination Antiretroviral Therapy. Proceedings of the American Thoracic Society, 2011 June; 8(3):301-7. PMID: 21653532.
- Akgün K, Pisani, M, Crothers, K. Akgün, K, Crothers, K and Pisani, M. The Changing Epidemiology of HIV/AIDS Patients in the Intensive Care Unit. J Intensive Care Med 2011 May-June; 26(3):151-64. PMID: 21436170.
- Akgün K, Pisani M, Crothers K. Epidemiology and outcomes for HIV/AIDS patients in the intensive care unit. J Intensive Care Med, 2011;26(3):151-64.
- Akgün K, Huang L, Morris A, Justice AC, Pisani M, Crothers K. Critical illness in HIV-infected patients in the era of combination antiretroviral therapy. Proceedings of the American Thoracic Society, 2011 June; 8(3):301-7. PMID: 21653532.
- Kapo JM and Akgün KM. Integrating palliative care into the care of patients with advanced lung cancer. Cancer J 2015; 21(5): 434-9.
- Akgün KM, Kapo JM, Siegel MD. Critical care at the end of life. Semin Respir Crit Care Med 2015;36(6):921-933.
- Akgün KM, Tate J, Crothers K, Crystal S, Leaf DA, Womack J, Brown TT, Justice A, Oursler KK. Frailty-related phenotype and the VACS Index as predictors of hospitalization and mortality in HIV-infected and uninfected patients. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2014; 67(4): 397-404.
- Rentsch C, Tate JP, Akgün KM, Crystal S, Wang KH, Greyson SR, Wang EA, Bryant KJ, Fiellin D, Justice AC, Rimland D. Alcohol-related diagnoses and all-cause hospitalization among HIV-infected and uninfected patients: a longitudinal analysis of United States Veterans from 1997 to 2011. AIDS and Behavior 2015, Epub ahead of print.
- Bharakat L, Juthani-Mehta M, Allore H, Trentalange M, Tate J, Akgün, KM, Pisani M, Butt AA, Rimland D, Crothers K, Justice A, Quagliarello V. Comparing clinical outcomes of HIV-infected and uninfected older men hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia. HIV Med 2015 Aug; 16(7):421-30.
- Attia EF, McGinnis KA, Feemster LC, Akgün KA, Butt AA, Graber CJ, Fine MJ, Goetz MB, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Pisani MA, Tindle HA, Brown ST, Soo Hoo GW, Rimland D, Gibert CL, Huang L, Freiberg MS, Hough CL, Crothers K. Association of COPD with risk for pulmonary infections requiring hospitalization in HIV-infected Veterans. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2015; 70(3):280-288.