Kasia Joanna Lipska MD, MHS
Assistant Professor of Medicine (Endocrinology)
Dr. Lipska is an endocrinologist at the Yale School of Medicine and a Clinical Investigator at the Yale-New Haven Hospital Center for Outcomes Research and Evaluation (CORE). Her research program seeks to better understand the balance of benefits and harms of glucose-lowering therapy in older adults with type 2 diabetes. Her current research projects are primarily focused on severe hypoglycemia. She is investigating trends in admissions for hypoglycemia among the elderly Medicare population; race, sex, and age disparities in these admissions; using qualitative research methods to explore reasons for hypoglycemia admissions; examining key risk factors for hypoglycemia; and developing prediction models for hypoglycemia. Based on these data, she seeks to develop and implement decision support tools to help clinicians and patients make better decisions about their care. Her overall goals are to generate data that patients and clinicians need—data which currently do not exist—so that they can make better, smarter treatment decisions.
In addition, Dr. Lipska works at CORE on the development of ambulatory care quality measures for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). She is currently leading the development of an outcome measure of care quality among people with diabetes mellitus.
- Diabetes Research in India
India (2011 - 2012)
As a Fogarty International Clinical Research Fellow, Dr. Lipska studied the prevalence of undiagnosed diabetes, pre-diabetes, and levels of insulin resistance among patients with ischemic stroke in Trivandrum and New Delhi, India.
Education & Training
- Yale University (1997)
- Harvard Medical School (2003)
- Yale University School of Medicine, Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program (2011)
- Brigham and Women's Hospital, Internal Medicine (2003 - 2006)
- Yale University School of Medicine, Endocrinology (2007 - 2009)
- Veterans Administration Connecticut Healthcare System, General Endocrinology (2007 - 2011)
- Fogarty International Clinical Research, Diabetes (2011 - 2012)
- Board Certification
- Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism, Board Certified (2009)
- Board Certification
- Internal Medicine, Board Certified (2007)