Jonathan Benjamin Borak MD
Clinical Professor of Epidemiology (Environmental Health) and of Medicine (General Medicine)
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Borak’s research interests are in the areas of environmental and industrial toxicology, biological and clinical surveillance of toxic exposures, environmental and workplace exposure assessments, and risk assessment of susceptible populations. Recent research projects have focused on issues such as the assessment of occupational exposures to diesel exhaust, historical reconstructions of silica particulate exposures, respiratory sensitization by reactive monomers, and the clinical assessment of beryllium-related diseases. For further information on Dr. Borak and his research, please see www.jborak.com.
- Borak J, Salipante-Zaidel C, Slade MD, Fields CA: Mortality Disparities in Appalachia: Reassessment of Major Risk Factors. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2012; 54:146-156
- Borak J, Fields C, Andrews LS, Pemberton MA: Methyl Methacrylate and respiratory sensitization: A critical review. Critical Reviews in Toxicology 2011; 41:230-268.
- Borak J: Obesity and the work place. Occupational Medicine, 2011; 61: 220-222.
- Sirianni G, Borak J: How clean is “Clean”? Regulations and standards for workplace clothing and personal protective equipment. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2010; 52:190-196.
- Russi MB, Borak JB, Cullen MR: An examination of cancer Epidemiology studies among populations living close to toxic waste sites. Environmental Health 2008; 7:32.
- Sirianni G, Hosgood HD, Slade MD, Borak J: Particle size distribution and particle size-related silica content in granite quarry dust. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene 2008; 5:279-285.
- Borak, J. and Sirianni, G. Studies of Self-population in Diesel School Buses: Methodological Issues. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene 4: 660-666, 2007.
- Borak, J. and Hosgood, H.D. Seafood Arsenic: Implications for Human Risk Assessment. Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology 47: 204-212, 2007.
- Borak, J. The Beryllium Occupational Exposure Limit: Historical Perspectives and Current Inadequacy. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 48: 109-116, 2006.
- Borak, J., Woolf, S.H., and Fields, C.A. Use of Beryllium Lymphocyte Proliferation Testing for Screening of Asymptomatic Individuals: An Evidence-based Assessment. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 48: 937-948, 2006.