Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome; Behavioral Medicine; Community Medicine; Epidemiology; Hepatitis, Viral, Human; Social Medicine; Global Health; HIV Infections; Cognitive Therapy; AIDS-Related Opportunistic Infections; Infectious Disease Medicine; Community-Based Participatory Research; Chemicals and Drugs; Health Care
Public Health Interests
Alcoholism/Alcohol; Behavioral Health; Clinical Trials; Community health; Developing Countries (health); Disease transmission; Drug Abuse/Addition; Epidemiology Methods; Global Health; Health behavior; Health care delivery; Health Care Management; Health Disparities; Health promotion-disease prevention; Health risk behaviors; Health Services Research; HIV/AIDS; Infectious Disease; Infectious Disease Transmission; International Health; Mental Health; Needle Exchange; Patient-Physician Relations; Poverty; Public health practice; Sexually-transmitted diseases; Social determinants of health; Social inequalities; Statistical models; Substance abuse
Focus has broadly been on the interface between infectious diseases and substance use disorders, with additional interests in research in community, criminal justice and clinical care settings. As a clinical epidemiologist, health services and intervention researcher, has created novel programs for the treatment of HIV, HCV, and tuberculosis in vulnerable populations, including injection drug users and prison inmates. Specifically, has been an international leader in research related to adherence to antiretroviral therapy, particularly among HIV+ drug users, and has made considerable inroads into novel approaches using directly administered antiretroviral therapy and other structural interventions to facilitate adherence both nationally and internationally.
Dr. Altice is currently leading a number of studies that bridge the gap between the correctional and community setting, specifically on the use of directly observed antiretroviral therapy and medication-assisted therapy for the treatment of substance use disorders. Current research includes methadone and buprenorphine as primary and secondary HIV prevention, directly administered antiretroviral therapy, peer-driven interventions, secondary prevention among drug users and prisoners, medication-assisted therapies for the treatment of substance use disorders using methadone, buprenorphine and naltrexone. International research projects are currently underway in Malaysia, Indonesia, Ukraine, Russia and Argentina. Planned projects are underway in Brazil.
Specialized Terms: Interface between infectious diseases and substance abuse; HIV, HCV, and tuberculosis treatment in vulnerable populations (including injection drug users and prison inmates); Antiretroviral therapy; extended release naltrexone, buprenorphine and methadone treatment in management of co-morbid conditions; Healthcare integration; Adherence interventions; Behavioral interventions
Extensive Research Description
Frederick L. Altice is a professor of medicine, epidemiology and public health. He is a clinical epidemiologist and intervention researcher at Yale University School of Medicine. Dr. Altice's primary research examines the relationship between infectious diseases and substance use disorders. His work has also focused on the criminal justice system, examining linkages between the community and correctional settings. Specific topics include; substance use disorders including opioids, stimulants and alcohol use disorders on HIV treatment outcomes and healthcare integration strategies. He has been a pioneer in the creation and evaluation of innovative strategies to engage HIV-infected drug users in care as well as develop strategies to facilitate adherence to antiretroviral medications. He is developing and creating methods to assess health services integration as a means to promote improved health outcomes, especially for HIV, viral hepatitis, tuberculosis, mental illness and substance use disorders. Additionally, his research seeks to understand the relationship of medication-assisted therapies, such as methadone, buprenorphine and extended-release naltrexone and its role in primary and secondary HIV prevention. His research projects extend internationally in the United States, Malaysia, Peru, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and Argentina.
Dr. Altice received his M.D. at Emory University. He is a professor of medicine at the University of Malaya in Kuala Lumpur where he conducts research in collaboration with colleagues at the Centre of Excellence on Research in AIDS and the Centre of Addiction Studies. He has been the principal investigator of several projects for the National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Agency, the Health Services Resource Agency's Special Projects of National Significance and Center for Substance Abuse Treatment.
- Alcohol Pharmacotherapies Among Released Prisoners: Randomized, placebo-controlled trial of depot-naltrexone for HIV+ prisoners with alcohol dependence who are transitioning to the community. Funding: NIAAA. Principal Investigators: Altice and Springer
- HIV, Buprenorphine, and the Criminal Justice System. Placebo, RCT of buprenorphine among HIV+, opioid dependent pretrial detainees in DC. Funding: NIDA. Principal Investigator: Altice
- Naltrexone for Opioid Dependent Released HIV+ Criminal Justice Populations: Multisite, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of depot NTX among HIV+, opioid dependent released prisoners. Funding: NIDA. Principal Investigators: Altice and Springer.
- Prison Interventions and HIV Prevention Collaboration in Ukraine: To develop and test HIV prevention and treatment interventions using implementation research techniques in the criminal justice system in Ukraine and its two partners - Kazakhstan and Georgia. Funding: NIDA. Principal Investigator: Altice
- Project Harapan: 2x2 Randomized controlled trial of methadone maintenance and Holistic Health Recovery Project among HIV+ prisoners with opioid dependence in Malaysia. Funding: NIDA. Principal Investigator: Altice
- Project Connect: Randomized controlled trial of directly administered antiretroviral therapy among HIV+ prisoners with opioid dependence who are transitioning to the community. Funding: NIDA. Principal Investigator: Altice
- Transitions: This is a Special Project of National Significance to develop and evaluate evidence-based models for integrating substance abuse treatment and contingency management into a comprehensive jail-release program. The program utilizes buprenorphine treatment as a conduit to care. Funding: HRSA Principal Investigator: Altice
- Project Choices: This program builds on our previous SAMHSA work where we developed the first mobile buprenorphine induction and stabilization program in the country. In this project, we target our buprenorphine expansion for released prisoners with or at risk for HIV/AIDS. We also integrate other evidence-based interventions as part of the expansion and enhancement of services.
- Project Bridge: Methadone and buprenorphine as primary and secondary HIV prevention for HIV+ persons released from prison.
AHORA-L (Duerr, PI; Altice, Co-I) 07/01/11-06/30/16
Title: HIV Testing and Treatment to prevent onward HIV Transmission among high-risk MSM in Peru.
Description: To address the Seek, Test and Treat initiative by: 1) identifying acute and recent HIV infection and conducting a RCT of immediate versus delayed ART; and 2) conduct a RCT of newly diagnosed HIV+ MSM with alcohol use disorders to XR-NTX + counseling versus Placebo + counseling in Peru.
NIDA R01 HD075630 (Petry PI; Altice Co-I) 09/01/12 – 08/31/16
Title: ART Adherence and Secondary Prevention of HIV.
Description: To conduct a RCT using contingency management (CM) verus CM + video direct observation among HIV+ patients with problematic adherence.
NIDA R01 DA032290 (Copenhaver, PI; Altice, Co-I) 04/11/12 – 03/31/17
Title: Secondary HIV Prevention and Adherence Among Drug Users.
Description: RCT comparative effectiveness trial to test the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of an adapted, brief, version of an evidence-based intervention (EBI) called Holistic Health for HIV (3H+) vs. the original EBI -- Holistic Health Recovery Program for HIV+ drug users (HHRP+).
HRSA H97HA24963 (Altice, PI) 09/01/12-08/31/17
Title: Special Project of National Significance: mHEALTH: Medical Home Engagement and Aligning Lifestyles and Transition from Homelessness
Description: To create a new innovative model of managing complex HIV+ patients with mental illness and homelessness.
- Meyer, J. P., Wickersham, J. A., Fu, J. J., Brown, S. E., Sullivan, T. P., Springer, S. A.,
- Meyer, J. P., Qiu, J., Chen, N. E., Larkin, G. L., & Altice, F. L. (2013). Frequent emergency department use among released prisoners with human immunodeficiency virus: characterization including a novel multimorbidity index. Acad Emerg Med, 20(1), 79-88.
- Meyer, J. P., Cepeda, J., Wu, J., Trestman, R. L., Altice, F. L., & Springer, S. A. (2014). Optimization of human immunodeficiency virus treatment during incarceration: viral suppression at the prison gate. JAMA Intern Med, 174(5), 721-729.
- Ludford, K. T., Vagenas, P., Lama, J. R., Peinado, J., Gonzales, P., Leiva, R., . . . Altice, F. L. (2013). Screening for Drug and Alcohol Use Disorders and Their Association with HIV-Related Sexual Risk Behaviors among Men Who Have Sex with Men in Peru. PLoS One, 8(8), e69966.
- Lim, S. H., Bazazi, A. R., Sim, C., Choo, M., Altice, F. L., & Kamarulzaman, A. (2013). High rates of unprotected anal intercourse with regular and casual partners and associated risk factors in a sample of ethnic Malay men who have sex with men (MSM) in Penang, Malaysia. Sex Transm Infect, In Press.
- Krishnan, A., Wickersham, J. A., Chitsaz, E., Springer, S. A., Jordan, A. O., Zaller, N., & Altice, F. L. (2013). Post-release substance abuse outcomes among HIV-infected jail detainees: results from a multisite study. AIDS Behav, 17 (Suppl 2), S171-180.
- Krishnan, A., Ferro, E. G., Weikum, D., Vagenas, P., Lama, J. R., Gonzales, P., . . . Altice, F. L. (2014). Communication Technology Use and mHealth Acceptance among HIV-infected Men who have Sex with Men in Peru: Implications for HIV Prevention and Treatment. AIDS Care, In Press.
- in, H., Earnshaw, V. A., Wickersham, J. A., Kamarulzaman, A., Desai, M. M., John, J., & Altice, F. L. (2014). An assessment of health-care students' attitudes toward patients with or at high risk for HIV: implications for education and cultural competency. AIDS Care, 26(10), 1223-1228.
- Izenberg, J. M., Bachireddy, C., Wickersham, J. A., Soule, M., Kiriazova, T., Dvoriak, S., & Altice, F. L. (2014). Within-prison drug injection among HIV-infected Ukrainian prisoners: Prevalence and correlates of an extremely high-risk behaviour. Int J Drug Policy, 25(5), 845-852.
- Ing, E. C., Bae, J. W., Maru, D. S., & Altice, F. L. (2013). Medication persistence of HIV-infected drug users on directly administered antiretroviral therapy. AIDS Behav, 17(1), 113-121.
- Gibson, B. A., Morano, J. P., Walton, M. R., Marcus, R., Zelenev, A., Bruce, R. D., & Altice, F. L. (2014). Innovative program delivery and determinants of frequent visitation to a mobile medical clinic in an urban setting. J Community Health, In Press.
- Gibson, B. A., Ghosh, D., Morano, J. P., & Altice, F. L. (2014). Accessibility and utilization patterns of a mobile medical clinic among vulnerable populations. Health Place, 28, 153-166.
- Earnshaw, V. A., Jin, H., Wickersham, J., Kamarulzaman, A., John, J., & Altice, F. L. (2014). Exploring intentions to discriminate against patients living with HIV/AIDS among future healthcare providers in Malaysia. Trop Med Int Health, 19(6), 672-679.
- Chitsaz, E., Meyer, J. P., Krishnan, A., Springer, S. A., Marcus, R., Zaller, N., . . . Altice, F. L. (2013). Contribution of Substance Use Disorders on HIV Treatment Outcomes and Antiretroviral Medication Adherence Among HIV-Infected Persons Entering Jail. AIDS Behav, 17(Suppl 2), S118-127.
- Chadwick, J. J., Andrade, L. F., Altice, F. L., & Petry, N. M. (2014). Correlates of Having Never Been HIV Tested among Entrants to Substance Abuse Treatment Clinics: Empiric Findings from Real-World New England Settings. J Psychoactive Drugs, 46(3), 208-214.
- Carver, J. W., Devieux, J. G., Gaston, S. C., Altice, F. L., & Niccolai, L. M. (2014). Sexual risk behaviors among adolescents in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. AIDS Behav, 18(8), 1595-1603.
- Brown, S. E., & Altice, F. L. (2014). Self-management of buprenorphine/naloxone among online discussion board users. Subst Use Misuse, 49(8), 1017-1024.
- Bachireddy, C., Soule, M. C., Izenberg, J. M., Dvoryak, S., Dumchev, K., & Altice, F. L. (2014). Integration of health services improves multiple healthcare outcomes among HIV-infected people who inject drugs in Ukraine. Drug Alcohol Depend, 134, 106-114.
- Azbel, L., Wickersham, J. A., Grishaev, Y., Dvoryak, S., & Altice, F. L. (2014). Correlates of HIV infection and being unaware of HIV status among soon-to-be-released Ukrainian prisoners. J Int AIDS Soc, 17(1), 19005.
- Al-Darraji, H. A. A., Wickersham, J. A., Kamarulzaman, A., & Altice, F. L. (2014). Prevalence and Correlates of Positive Tuberculin Skin Test Reaction Among HIV-infected Prisoners in Malaysia: Implications for Tuberculosis Prophylaxis and Antiretroviral Therapy. AIDS Patient Care STDS, In Press.
- Al-Darraji, H. A., Wong, K. C., Yeow, D. G., Fu, J. J., Loeliger, K., Paiji, C., . . . Altice, F. L. (2014). Tuberculosis screening in a novel substance abuse treatment center in Malaysia: implications for a comprehensive approach for integrated care. J Subst Abuse Treat, 46(2), 144-149.
- Al-Darraji, H. A., Kamarulzaman, A., & Altice, F. L. (2014). Latent tuberculosis infection in a Malaysian prison: implications for a comprehensive integrated control program in prisons. BMC Public Health, 14(1), 22.
- Wickersham JA, Zahari MM, Azar MM, Kamarulzaman A, Altice FL. Methadone dose at the time of release from prison significantly influences retention in treatment: Implications from a pilot study of HIV-infected prisoners transitioning to the community in Malaysia. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013:In Press.
- Wickersham JA, Marcus R, Kamarulzaman A, Zahari MM, Altice FL. Implementing methadone maintenance treatment in prisons in Malaysia. Bull World Health Organ. 2013;91(2):124-9.
- Vagenas P, Ludford KT, Gonzales P, Peinado J, Cabezas C, Gonzales F, Sanchez J, Altice FL. Being Unaware of Being HIV-Infected is Associated with Alcohol Use Disorders and High-Risk Sexual Behaviors Among Men Who have Sex with Men in Peru. AIDS Behav. 2013:In Press.
- Morozova O, Azbel L, Grishaev Y, Dvoryak S, Wickersham JA, Altice FL. Ukrainian prisoners and community reentry challenges: implications for transitional care. Int J Prisoner Health. 2013;9(1):5-19.
- Morano JP, Walton MR, Zelenev A, Bruce RD, Altice FL. Latent Tuberculosis Infection: Screening and Treatment in an Urban Setting. J Community Health. 2013:In Press.
- Morano JP, Gibson BA, Altice FL. The burgeoning HIV/HCV syndemic in the urban Northeast: HCV, HIV, and HIV/HCV coinfection in an urban setting. PLoS One. 2013;8(5):e64321.
- Meyer JP, Zelenev A, Wickersham JA, Williams CT, Teixeira PA, Altice FL. Women Released from Jail Experience Suboptimal HIV Treatment Outcomes Compared to Men: Results from a Multi-Center Study. American Journal of Public Health. 2013: In Press.
- Meyer JP, Wickersham JA, Fu JJ, Brown SE, Sullivan TP, Springer SA, et al. Partner violence and health among HIV-infected jail detainees. International J Prisoner Health. 2013;9(3):1-18.
- Meyer JP, Qiu J, Chen NE, Larkin GL, Altice FL. Frequent emergency department use among released prisoners with human immunodeficiency virus: characterization including a novel multimorbidity index. Acad Emerg Med. 2013;20(1):79-88.
- Meyer JP, Althoff AL, Altice FL. State-of-the-Art Care for HIV-infected People Who Use Drugs: Evidence-Based Approaches to Overcoming Healthcare Disparities. Clin Infect Dis. 2013: In Press.
- Ludford KT, Vagenas P, Lama JR, Peinado J, Gonzales P, Leiva R, et al. Screening for Drug and Alcohol Use Disorders and Their Association with HIV-Related Sexual Risk Behaviors among Men Who Have Sex with Men in Peru. PLoS One. 2013;8(8):e69966.
- Lim SH, Bazazi AR, Sim C, Choo M, Altice FL, Kamarulzaman A. High rates of unprotected anal intercourse with regular and casual partners and associated risk factors in a sample of ethnic Malay men who have sex with men (MSM) in Penang, Malaysia. Sex Transm Infect. 2013: In Press.
- Izenberg JM, Bachireddy C, Soule M, Kiriazova T, Dvoryak S, Altice FL. High rates of police detention among recently released HIV-infected prisoners in Ukraine: Implications for health outcomes. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013: In Press.
- Ing EC, Bae JW, Maru DS, Altice FL. Medication persistence of HIV-infected drug users on directly administered antiretroviral therapy. AIDS Behav. 2013;17(1):113-21.
- Haddad MS, Zelenev A, Altice FL. Integrating buprenorphine maintenance therapy into federally qualified health centers: Real-world substance abuse treatment outcomes. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013;131(1-2):127-35.
- Chitsaz E, Meyer JP, Krishnan A, Springer SA, Marcus R, Zaller N, et al. Contribution of Substance Use Disorders on HIV Treatment Outcomes and Antiretroviral Medication Adherence Among HIV-Infected Persons Entering Jail. AIDS Behav. 2013:In Press.
- Bruce RD, Moody DE, Altice FL, Gourevitch MN, Friedland GH. A review of pharmacological interactions between HIV or hepatitis C virus medications and opioid agonist therapy: implications and management for clinical practice. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2013;6(3):249-69.
- Bojko MJ, Dvoriak S, Altice FL. At the crossroads: HIV prevention and treatment for people who inject drugs in Ukraine. Addiction. 2013: In Press.
- Bachireddy C, Soule MC, Izenberg JM, Dvoriak S, Dumchev K, Altice FL. Integration of Services Improves Healthcare Outcomes Among HIV-infected People Who Inject Drugs in Ukraine: Implications for Healthcare Delivery for Complex Patients. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013: In Press.
- Azbel L, Wickersham JA, Grishaev Y, Dvoryak S, Altice FL. Burden of infectious diseases, substance use disorders, and mental illness among Ukrainian prisoners transitioning to the community. PLoS One. 2013;8(3):e59643.
- Thompson MA, Mugavero MJ, Amico KR, Cargill VA, Chang LW, Gross R, Altice FL, et al. Guidelines for improving entry into and retention in care and antiretroviral adherence for persons with HIV: evidence-based recommendations from an International Association of Physicians in AIDS Care panel. Ann Intern Med. 2012;156(11):817-33.
- Springer SA, Qiu J, Saber-Tehrani AS, Altice FL. Retention on buprenorphine is associated with high levels of maximal viral suppression among HIV-infected opioid dependent released prisoners. PLoS One. 2012;7(5):e38335.
- Shenoi SV, Brooks RP, Barbour R, Altice FL, Zelterman D, Moll AP, et al. Survival from XDR-TB is associated with modifiable clinical characteristics in rural South Africa. PLoS One. 2012;7(3):e31786.
- Schwarz R, Zelenev A, Bruce RD, Altice FL. Retention on buprenorphine treatment reduces emergency department utilization, but not hospitalization, among treatment-seeking patients with opioid dependence. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. 2012;43(4):451-7.
- Saber-Tehrani AS, Springer SA, Qiu J, Herme M, Wickersham J, Altice FL. Rationale, study design and sample characteristics of a randomized controlled trial of directly administered antiretroviral therapy for HIV-infected prisoners transitioning to the community - a potential conduit to improved HIV treatment outcomes. Contemp Clin Trials. 2012;33(2):436-44.
- Meyer JP, Qiu J, Chen NE, Larkin GL, Altice FL. Emergency department use by released prisoners with HIV: an observational longitudinal study. PLoS One. 2012;7(8):e42416.
- Krishnan A, Wickersham JA, Chitsaz E, Springer SA, Jordan AO, Zaller N, Altice FL. Post-Release Substance Abuse Outcomes Among HIV-Infected Jail Detainees: Results from a Multisite Study. AIDS Behav. 2012. In Press.
- Fu JJ, Bazazi AR, Altice FL, Mohamed MN, Kamarulzaman A. Absence of antiretroviral therapy and other risk factors for morbidity and mortality in Malaysian compulsory drug detention and rehabilitation centers. PLoS One. 2012;7(9):e44249.
- Duerr A, Altice FL, Harries AD, Sohn AH. Antiretroviral treatment in resource-limited settings 2012. AIDS Res Treat. 2012;2012:346708.
- de Voux A, Spaulding AC, Beckwith C, Avery A, Williams C, Messina LC, Altice FL. Early identification of HIV: empirical support for jail-based screening. PLoS One. 2012;7(5):e37603.
- Bruce RD, Eiserman J, Acosta A, Gote C, Lim JK, Altice FL. Developing a modified directly observed therapy intervention for hepatitis C treatment in a methadone maintenance program: implications for program replication. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2012;38(3):206-12.
- Binford MC, Kahana SY, Altice FL. A systematic review of antiretroviral adherence interventions for HIV-infected people who use drugs. Curr HIV/AIDS Rep. 2012;9(4):287-312.
- Althoff AL, Zelenev A, Meyer JP, Fu J, Brown SE, Vagenas P, et al. Correlates of Retention in HIV Care After Release from Jail: Results from a Multi-site Study. AIDS Behav. 2012:In Press.
- Al-Darraji HA, Kamarulzaman A, Altice FL. Isoniazid preventive therapy in correctional facilities: a systematic review. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012;16(7):871-9.
- Zelenev, A., Marcus, R., Cruzado-Quinones, J., Spaulding, A., Desabrais, M., Lincoln, T., Altice, F.L., 2012. Patterns of Homelessness and Implications for HIV Health after Release from Jail AIDS Behav, In Press.
- Thompson, M.A., Mugavero, M.J., Amico, K.R., Cargill, V.A., Chang, L.W., Gross, R., Orrell, C., Altice, F.L., Bangsberg, D.R., Bartlett, J.G., Beckwith, C.G., Dowshen, N., Gordon, C.M., Horn, T., Kumar, P., Scott, J.D., Stirratt, M.J., Remien, R.H., Simoni, J.M., Nachega, J.B., 2012. Guidelines for Improving Entry Into and Retention in Care and Antiretroviral Adherence for Persons With HIV: Evidence-Based Recommendations From an International Association of Physicians in AIDS Care Panel. Ann Intern Med, In Press.
- Springer, S.A., Qiu, J., Saber-Tehrani, A.S., Altice, F.L., 2012. Retention on Buprenorphine Is Associated with High Levels of Maximal Viral Suppression among HIV-Infected Opioid Dependent Released Prisoners. PLoS One 7, e38335.
- Schwarz, R., Zelenev, A., Bruce, R.D., Altice, F.L., 2012. Retention on buprenorphine treatment reduces emergency department utilization, but not hospitalization, among treatment-seeking patients with opioid dependence. J Subst Abuse Treat, In Press.
- Saber-Tehrani, A.S., Springer, S.A., Qiu, J., Herme, M., Wickersham, J., Altice, F.L., 2012. Rationale, study design and sample characteristics of a randomized controlled trial of directly administered antiretroviral therapy for HIV-infected prisoners transitioning to the community - A potential conduit to improved HIV treatment outcomes. Contemp Clin Trials 33, 436-444.
- Lincoln, T., Simon-Levin, D., Smith, J., Donenberg, G., Springer, S.A., Zaller, N., Altice, F.L., Moore, K., Jordan, A.O., Draine, J., Desabrais, M., 2012. Prevalence and Predictors of Psychiatric Distress Among HIV+ Jail Detainees at Enrollment in an Observational Stud. AIDS Behav, In Press.
- de Voux, A., Spaulding, A.C., Beckwith, C., Avery, A., Williams, C., Messina, L.C., Sarah Ball, S., Altice, F.L., 2012. Early Identification of HIV: Empirical Support for Jail-Based Screening. PLoS ONE 7, e37603.
- Bruce, R.D., Eiserman, J., Acosta, A., Gote, C., Lim, J.K., Altice, F.L., 2012. Developing a modified directly observed therapy intervention for hepatitis C treatment in a methadone maintenance program: implications for program replication. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 38, 206-212.
- Althoff, A., Zelenev, A., Meyer, J.P., Fu, J.J., Brown, S.E., Vagenas, P., Avery, A., Cruzado, J., Spaulding, A., Altice, F.L., 2012. Correlates of Retention in HIV Care after Release from Jail: Results from a Multi-site Study. AIDS Behav, In Press.
- Al-Darraji, H.A.A., Kamarulzaman, A., Altice, F.L., 2012. Isoniazid Preventive Therapy in Correctional Facilities: A Systematic Review. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis, In Press.
- Weiss L., Netherland J., Egan J.E., Flanigan T.P., Fiellin D.A., Finkelstein R., Altice F.L., Collaborative B. (2011) Integration of buprenorphine/naloxone treatment into HIV clinical care: lessons from the BHIVES collaborative. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 56 Suppl 1:S68-75.
- Altice, F. L., Bruce, R. D., Lucas, G. M., Lum, P. J., Korthuis, P. T., Flanigan, T. P., et al. (2011). HIV treatment outcomes among HIV-infected, opioid-dependent patients receiving buprenorphine/naloxone treatment within HIV clinical care settings: results from a multisite study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr, 56 Suppl 1, S22-32.
- Fisher J.D., Amico K.R., Fisher W.A., Cornman D.H., Shuper P.A., Trayling C., Redding C., Barta W., Lemieux A.F., Altice F.L., Dieckhaus K., Friedland G. (2011) Computer-Based Intervention in HIV Clinical Care Setting Improves Antiretroviral Adherence: The LifeWindows Project. AIDS Behav:In Press.
- Copenhaver M.M., Lee I.C., Margolin A., Bruce R.D., Altice F.L. (2011) Testing an Optimized Community-Based Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Risk Reduction and Antiretroviral Adherence Intervention for HIV-Infected Injection Drug Users. Subst Abus 32:16-26.
- Bae J.W., Guyer W., Grimm K., Altice F.L. (2011) Medication persistence in the treatment of HIV infection: a review of the literature and implications for future clinical care and research. AIDS 25:279-90.
- Bachireddy C., Bazazi A.R., Kavasery R., Govindasamy S., Kamarulzaman A., Altice F.L. (2011) Attitudes toward opioid substitution therapy and pre-incarceration HIV transmission behaviors among HIV-infected prisoners in Malaysia: Implications for secondary prevention. Drug Alcohol Depend 116 151-7.
- Altice FL, Kamarulzaman A, Soriano V, Schechter M, Friedland GH. Medical, Psychiatric and Substance Use Co-Morbidities Among HIV-Infected Drug Users: Optimizing Treatment and Clinical Outcomes. Lancet. 2010;376(9738):367-87. PMID: 20650518.
- Bae, J. W., Guyer, W., Grimm, K., & Altice, F. L. (2011). Medication persistence in the treatment of HIV infection: a review of the literature and implications for future clinical care and research. AIDS, 25 (3), 279-290.
- Choi P, Kavasery R, Desai MM, Govindasamy S, Kamarulzaman A, Altice FL. Prevalence and Correlates of Community Re-Entry Challenges Faced by HIV-Infected Male Prisoners in Malaysia. Int J STD AIDS 2010; 21(3): 416-423. PMID: 20606222
- Simon MD, Altice FL, Moll AP, Shange M, Friedland GF. Preparing for highly active antiretroviral therapy rollout in rural South Africa: an assessment using the information, motivation, and behavioral skills model. AIDS Care, 2010; 22(4):462-74. PMID: 20204909
- Zahari MM, Bae HW, Zainal NZ, Habil H, Kamarulzaman A, Altice FL. Psychiatric and Substance Abuse Co-Morbidity Among HIV Seropositive and HIV Seronegative Prisoners in Malaysia. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 2010; 36:31–38.
- Altice FL, Springer SA. Directly Administered Antiretroviral Therapy for HIV Infected Patients: Studying Subjects Not at Risk for Non-Adherence and Using Untested Interventions. Archives Internal Medicine, 2010;170(1):109-10. PMC2825565
- Springer SA, MD, Chen S, Altice FL. Improved HIV and Substance Abuse Treatment Outcomes For Released HIV-Infected Prisoners: The Impact of Buprenorphine Treatment. J Urb Health. 2010; 87(4):592-602. PMID: 20177974
- Fu J, Bazazi A, Altice FL. Preserving Human Rights in the Era of 'Test and Treat' for HIV Prevention. (letter response) American Journal of Public Health Ref # AJPH-2010606. Published online ahead of print December 13, 2010.
- Flanigan TP, Zaller N, Beckwith CG, Bazerman LB, Rana A, Gardner A, Wohl DA, Altice FL. Testing for HIV, Sexually Transmitted Infections and Viral Hepatitis in Jails: Still A Missed Opportunity for Public Health and HIV Prevention. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2010;55:S78–S83.
- Anand P, Springer SA, Copenhaver MM, Altice FL. Neurocognitive Impairment and HIV Risk Factors: A Reciprocal Relationship. 2010. AIDS and Behavior:14(6):1213. PMID: 20232242
- Bruce RD, Altice FL, Moody DE, Morse G, Andrews L, Lin SN, Fang WB, Ma Q, Friedland GH. Pharmacokinetic Interactions Between Buprenorphine/Naloxone and Once-Daily Lopinavir/Ritonavir. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2010;54(5):511-4. PMID: 20672450
- Bachireddy C, Bazazi AR, Kavasery R, Govindasamy S, Kamarulzaman A, Altice FL. Attitudes towards opioid substitution therapy and pre-incarceration HIV transmission behaviors among HIV-infected prisoners in Malaysia: Implications for secondary prevention. DAD. Published online ahead of print: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2010.12.001DOI: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2010.12.001
- Azar MM, Springer SA, Meyer JP, Altice FL. A Systematic Review of the Impact of Alcohol Use Disorders on HIV Treatment Outcomes, Adherence to Antiretroviral Therapy and Health Care Utilization. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 112 (2011) 178–193. PMID: 20705402.
- Izenberg J, Altice FL. Next Steps for Ukraine – Abolition of HIV Registries, Implementation of Routine HIV Testing and Expansion of Services. Addiction. 2010;105(3):569-70. PMID: 20403006
- Copenhaver M, Chowdhury S, Altice FL. Adaptation of an evidence based intervention targeting HIV-infected prisoners transitioning to the community: The process and outcome of formative research for the Positive Living Using Safety (PLUS) intervention. AIDS Patient Care and STDs, 2009;23(4):277-87. PMCID: PMC2770798
- Bruce RD, Govindasamy S, Sylla L, Kamarulzaman A, Altice FL. Lack of Reduction in Buprenorphine Injection After Introduction of Co-Formulated Buprenorphine/Naloxone to the Malaysian Market. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 2009; 35 (2):86-72.
- Maru DSR, Bruce RD, Walton M, Springer SA, Altice FL. Persistence of Virological Benefits Following Directly Administered Antiretroviral Therapy among Drug Users: Results from a Randomized, Controlled Trial. AIDS, 2009; 50(2), 176-181. PMCID: PMC2670996
- Gupta S, Altice FL. Hepatitis B Virus Infection in US Correctional Facilities: A Review of Diagnosis, Management, and Public Health Implications. Journal of Urban Health, 2009; 86(2): 263-279. PMCID: PMC2648882
- Springer SA, Chen S, Altice FL. Depression and Symptomatic Response from a Randomized Controlled Trial of Directly Administered Antiretroviral Therapy among active drug users. AIDS Care, 2009;21(8):976-983. PMID: 20024753.
- Tabarsi P, Tehrani AS, Baghaei P, Padyab M, Amiri M, Mansouri D, Masjedi MR, Altice FL. Early initiation of antiretroviral therapy results in decreased morbidity and mortality among patients with TB and HIV. Journal of the International AIDS Society 2009, 12:14-19
- Kavasery R, Maru DS-R, Sylla LN, Smith D, Altice FL (2009) A Prospective Controlled Trial of Routine Opt-Out HIV Testing in a Men’s Jail. PLoS ONE 4(11):e8056. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0008056
- Kavasery R, Maru DS-R, Cornman-Homonoff J, Sylla LN, Smith D, Altice FL. (2009) Routine Opt-Out HIV Testing Strategies in a Female Jail Setting: A Prospective Controlled Trial. PLoS ONE 4(11): e7648. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0007648
- Altice FL. Special Considerations and Clinical Management of the HIV-Infected Drug User. Eron J, Smith K, Squires K, eds CCO HIV in Practice. Clinical Care Options, Inc. Brooklyn, NY. 2009. Available online. http://www.clinicaloptions.com/inPractice/HIV/Management%20of%20Specific%20Populations/ch23_Drug_Users.aspxhttp://www.clinicaloptions.com/inPractice/HIV/
- Schwarz RK, Bruce RD, Ball S, Herme M, Altice FL. Comparison of Tuberculin Skin Testing Reactivity in Opioid-Dependent Patients Seeking Treatment with Methadone versus Buprenorphine: Policy Implications for Tuberculosis Screening. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 35(6), November 2009.
- Bruce RD, Altice FL, Moody DE, Lin SN, Fang WB, SaboJP, Wruck JM, Piliero PJ, Conner C, Andrews L, Friedland GH. Pharmacokinetic interactions between buprenorphine/naloxone and tipranavir/ritonavir in HIV-negative subjects chronically receiving buprenorphine/naloxone.Drug Alcohol Depend. (2009), 105(3):234-9. PMID: 19726139
- Bruce RD, Govindasamy S, Sylla LN, Haddad MS, Kamarulzaman A, Altice FL. Case Series of Buprenorphine Injectors in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 2008; 34(4), 511-517. PMID: 18584580
- WHO, UNODC, UNAIDS. Policy. Altice FL, Chair of Guidelines Committee. Policy Guidelines for Collaborative TB and HIV Services for Injecting and Other Drug Users: An Integrated Approach. 2008. http://www.who.int/tb/publications/2008/en/index.html
- Smith-Rohrberg Maru D, Bruce RD, Basu S, Altice, FL. Clinical Outcomes of Hepatitis C Treatment in a Prison Setting: Feasibility and Effectiveness for Challenging Treatment Populations. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 2008; 47(7):952-61. PMID: 18715156
- Altice FL, Mostashari F, Checko P, Singh R, Tanguay S, Blanchette EP, Selwyn PA. Predictors of HIV Infection Among Newly-Sentenced Male Prisoners. JAIDS 1998 18: 444-453.
- Altice FL, Friedland GH. The Era of Adherence with HIV therapy. Ann Int Med, 1998 129 (6): 503-505.
- Altice FL, Mostashari F, Friedland GH. Trust and the Acceptance of and Adherence To Antiretroviral Therapy. JAIDS, 200128(1):47-58.
- Lazzarini Z, Altice FL. A Review of the Legal and Ethical Issues for the Conduct of HIV-Related Research in Prisons. AIDS & Public Policy Journal. 2001 15(3):103-125.
- Pollack H, Khoshnood K, Blankenship K, Altice FL. The Impact of Needle Exchange-Based Health Services on Emergency Department Use. JGIM. 2002 17(5):341-348.
- Broadhead R, Heckathorn D, Altice FL, van Hulst Y, Carbone M, Friedland G, O’Connor PG, Selwyn P. Increasing Drug Users’ Adherence to HIV Therapeutics: Results of a Peer-driven Intervention Feasibility Study. Social Science & Medicine. 2002 55(2) 235-246.
- Altice FL, Selwyn P, Watson RE, eds. Reaching In, Reaching Out: A Guide For The Correctional Professional. Book commissioned by the Kaiser Foundation and the National Commission on Correctional Health Care. 2002
- Altice FL, Springer S, Buitrago M, Hunt DP, Friedland GH. Pilot study to enhance HIV care using needle exchange based health services for out-of-treatment injecting drug users. J. Urban Health, 2003. 80(3):416-27.
- Altice FL, Bruce RD. Hepatitis C Virus Infection In U.S. Correctional Institutions. Curr Hep Rep, 2004 3:112-118.
- Altice FL, Mezger JA, Hodges J, Bruce RD, Marinovich A, Walton M, Springer S, Friedland GH. Developing a Directly Administered Antiretroviral Therapy Intervention for HIV Infected Drug Users: Implications for Program Replication. Clin Infect Dis 2004 38:S376-87.
- Smith-Rohrberg D, Bruce RD, Altice FL. Review of Corrections Based Therapy for Opiate-Dependent Patients: Implications for Buprenorphine Treatment Among Correctional Populations. J.Drug Issues, 2004 34(2):451-480.
- Springer S, Pesanti E, Hodges J, Macura T, Altice FL. Effectiveness of Antiretroviral Therapy among HIV Infected Prisoners and the Lack of Sustained Benefit after Release to the Community. Clin Infect Dis, 2004 38(12):1754-60.
- Altice FL, Marinovich A, Khoshnood K, Blankenship KM, Springer SA, Selwyn PA. Correlates of HIV Infection Among Incarcerated Women: Improving Detection of HIV Infection. J Urban Health, 2005 82(2), 312-326.
- Resch SL, Altice FL, Paltiel AD. Cost effectiveness of HIV screening for incarcerated pregnant women. JAIDS. 200538(2) 163-73.
- Altice FL, Bruce RD, Walton M, Buitrago M. Adherence to Hepatitis B Virus Vaccination At Syringe Exchange Sites. J of Urban Health. 200582(2):312-26.
- Basu S, Smith-Rohrberg D, Hank S, Altice FL. HIV Testing in Correctional Institutions: Evaluating Existing Strategies, Setting New Standards. AIDS & Public Policy Journal. 2005 20(1-2):3-24.
- Altice FL, Sullivan LS, Rohrberg-Smith D, Basu S, Stancliff S, Eldred L. The Potential Role of Buprenorphine in the Treatment of Opioid Dependence in HIV-Infected Individuals and in HIV infection prevention. Clin Infect Dis, 2006 43 (S4): 178-83.
- Smith-Rohrberg D, Mezger J, Walton M, Bruce RD, Altice FL. Impact of Enhanced Services on Virological Outcomes in a Directly Administered Antiretroviral Therapy Trial for HIV+ Drug Users. JAIDS, 2006. 43 (S1): 48-53.
- Basu S, Smith-Rohrberg D, Bruce RD, Altice FL. Models for Integrating Buprenorphine Therapy into HIV Care. Clin Infect Dis 2006 42:716-721.
- Bruce RD, Altice FL, Gourevitch MN, and Friedland GH. Pharmacokinetic Drug Interactions Between Opioid Agonist Therapy and Antiretroviral Medications: Implications and Management for Clinical Practice. JAIDS 2006 41(5): 563-572.
- Ravi A, Blankenship K, Altice FL. The Association between History of Violence and HIV Risk: A Cross-Sectional Study of Female Prisoners in Connecticut. Journal of Women's Health Issues 2007,(17)1049-3867.
- Bruce RD, Altice FL. Clinical Care of the HIV-Infected Drug User. Infectious Diseases Clinics of North America, 2007. 21: 149-179. PMCID: 2128697.
- Bruce RD, Dvoryak S, Sylla LN, Altice FL. HIV treatment access and scale up for delivery for Injection Drug Users in Ukraine for Opiate Substitution Therapy with Buprenorphine: Program Description and Policy Implications. International Journal of Drug Policy, 200718: 328-8. PMCID: PMC2084072.
- Sylla LN, Bruce RD, Kamarulzaman A, Altice FL. Integration and Co-Location of HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Substance Abuse Treatment Services: Paradigms for Complex Patient Populations. International Journal of Drug Policy, 2007 18: 306-12.
- Altice FL, Smith-Rohrberg D, Bruce RD, Springer SA, Friedland G. Superiority of Directly Administered Antiretroviral Therapy Compared to Self-Administered Therapy among HIV-Infected Drug Users Enrolled in a Six-Month Prospective, Randomized Controlled Trial. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 200745.
- Springer S, Friedland GH, Doros G, Pesanti E, Altice FL. Antiretroviral Treatment Regimen Outcomes Among HIV-infected Prisoners. HIV Clin Trials. 2007 Jul-Aug8(4):205-12.
- Maru DSR, Kozal MJ, Bruce RD, Springer SA, Shield DS, Altice FL. Directly Administered Antiretroviral Therapy for HIV-Infected Drug Users Does Not Have an Impact on Antiretroviral Resistance: Results From a Randomized Controlled Trial. JAIDS. 200746(5):555-63.
- Safren SA, Wingood G, Altice FL. Strategies for Primary HIV Prevention That Target Behavioral Change. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2007 45:S300-S307.
- Copenhaver MM, Bruce RD, Altice FL. Behavioral counseling content for optimizing the use of buprenorphine for opioid dependence in community-based settings: A review of the empirical evidence. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse. 2007 33(5):643-54.
- Maru DS, Bruce RD, Walton M, Mezger JA, Springer SA, Shield D, Altice FL. Initiation, Adherence, and Retention in a Randomized Controlled Trial of Directly Administered Antiretroviral Therapy. AIDS & Behavior, 2007 11(7):946-57.
- Bruce, RD, Altice FL. Case Series of the Safe Use of Buprenorphine/Naloxone in Individuals with Acute Hepatitis C Infection and Abnormal Hepatic Liver Transaminases. The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 2007; 33(6):869-874.