David A. Fiellin MD
Professor of Medicine (General Medicine), of Faculty of Arts and Sciences and of Public Health (Health Policy); Professor, Investigative Medicine; Director, Community Research and Implementation Core, Center for Interdisciplinary Research on AIDS (CIRA)
Substance abuse treatment in primary care; Emergency department and HIV specialty settings opioid agonist treatment with buprenorphine; Pharmacologic treatment of alcohol
Dr. Fiellin has focused his scholarly work on the interface between primary care and substance abuse. He conducts research on the transfer of treatment strategies, including opioid agonist treatment with buprenorphine and alcohol pharmacotherapies, from specialized settings to office-based, primary care, emergency department and HIV specialty settings.
- Fiellin DA, Reid MC, O'Connor, PG. Screening for alcohol problems in primary care: A systematic review. Archives of Internal Medicine 2000; 160:1977-1989. PMID:10888972.
- Fiellin DA, O'Connor PG, Chawarski M, Pakes JP, Pantalon MV, Schottenfeld RS. Methadone maintenance in primary care: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2001;286:1724-1731. PMID:11594897.
- Fiellin DA, O'Connor PG. New federal initiatives to enhance the medical treatment of opioid dependence. Annals of Internal Medicine 2002;137:688-692. PMID:12379070.
- Fiellin DA, Pantalon MV, Chawarski MC Moore BA, Sullivan LE, O’Connor PG, Schottenfeld RS. Counseling plus buprenorphine-naloxone maintenance treatment in primary care. New England Journal of Medicine. 2006;355(4):365-374.
- Fiellin DA, O'Connor PG. Office-based treatment of opioid dependent patients. New England Journal of Medicine 2002;347(11):817-823. PMID:12510051.
- Sullivan LE, Fiellin DA. Buprenorphine: its role in preventing HIV transmission and improving the care of HIV infected patients with opioid dependence. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2005;41(6):891-6. PMID:16107991.
- Mehra R, Moore BA, Crothers K, Tetrault J, Fiellin DA. The association between marijuana smoking and lung cancer: A systematic review. Archives of Internal Medicine 2006;166:1359-1367. PMID:16832000.
- Tetrault JM, Crothers K, Moore B, Mehra R, Concato J, Fiellin DA. Effects of marijuana smoking on pulmonary function and respiratory complications: A systematic review. Archives of Internal Medicine 2007;167:221-228. PMID:17296876 ; PMCID: PMC2720277.
- Martell BA, O’Connor PG, Kerns RD, Becker WC, Morales KH, Kosten TR, Fiellin DA. Systematic Review: Opioid treatment for chronic back pain: prevalence, efficacy, and association with addiction. Annals of Internal Medicine 2007 146:116-127.
- Sullivan LE, Fiellin DA. Buprenorphine for opioid dependent patients in office practice. Annals of Internal Medicine 2008 148-662-670.