Sarwat I Chaudhry MD
Associate Professor of Medicine (General Medicine)
Heart failure; Geriatric Conditions; Functional Disability; Quality of Life; Remote Monitoring; End of Life Issues
Dr. Chaudhry’s research is directed toward improving outcomes in older patients with heart failure. She is currently funded by the NIH to conduct studies to determine the prognostic importance of geriatric conditions in patients with heart failure. She also has an interest in remote monitoring systems in heart failure.
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Chaudhry’s research is directed toward improving outcomes in older
patients with heart failure. She is currently funded by NIH/NIA to examine the prognostic importance of geriatric
impairments (including those in cognition, vision, hearing, muscle
strength, and physical capacity) in heart failure. She is complementing
secondary analysis of data from the Cardiovascular Health Study with an
ongoing prospective study of hospitalized patients. She is also
Director of Science for a multi-center clinical trial examining remote
symptom and body weight monitoring for patients recently hospitalized
for heart failure.
- Sacco-Gibson N. Chaudhry S. Brock A. Sickles AB. Patel B. Hegstad R. et al. Cadmium Effects on Bone Metabolism: Accelerated Resorption in Ovariectomized, Aged Beagles. Toxicology & Applied Pharmacology. 1992; 113:274-83.
- Chaudhry SI, Olofinboba KA, Krumholz HM. Detection of Errors by Attending Physicians on a General Medicine Service. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2003; 18:595-600.
- Chaudhry SI, Foody JM, Krumholz HM. Management of Systolic Hypertension in Older Adults. JAMA. 2004; 292; 1074-1080.
- Chaudhry SI, Friedkin RF, Horwitz RI, Inouye SK. Educational Disadvantage Impairs Functional Recovery After Hospitalization in Older Persons. American Journal of Medicine. 2004; 117; 650-656.
- Chaudhry SI, Berlowitz DR, Concato J. Do Age and Comorbidity Affect Intensity of Therapy for Poorly Controlled Diabetes Mellitus? Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2005; 53(7):1214-6.
- Foody JM, Chaudhry SI, Krumholz HM. Systolic Hypertension in Older Persons: Complexities in Clinical Decision Making. American Journal of Geriatric Cardiology. 2005; 14(6):325-30.
- Chaudhry SI, Phillips CO, Riegel B, Jerant AF, Stewart S, Krumholz HM. Telemonitoring in Patients with Heart Failure: A Systematic Review. Journal of Cardiac Failure. 2007; 13 (1):56-62.
- Chaudhry SI, Wang Y, Concato J, Gill TM, Krumholz HM. Patterns of Weight Change Preceding Hospitalization for Heart Failure. Circulation; 2007; 116 (4): 1549-1554.
- Chaudhry SI, Barton B, Mattera J, Spertus J, Krumholz, HM. Randomized Trial of Telemonitoring to Improved Heart Failure Outcomes (Tele-HF): Study Design. Journal of Cardiac Failure. 2007; 13(9):709-714.
- Chaudhry SI, Wang Y, Gill TM, Krumholz HM. Geriatric Conditions and Subsequent Mortality in Older Persons with Heart Failure. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. In Press.