Anti-Infective Agents; Bacterial Infections and Mycoses; Bronchiolitis, Viral; Influenza, Human; Public Health; RNA Virus Infections; Virus Diseases; Infection Control
Public Health Interests
Infectious Disease Transmission; Influenza
Molecular Virology: Virology laboratories
Dr. Martinello's research interests include the molecular epidemiology and transmission of respiratory viruses, specifically respiratory syncytial virus and influenza. In addition, Dr. Martinello investigates the epidemiology, impact and transmission of healthcare associated infections including methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus, Clostridium difficile and ventilator associated pneumonia.
Extensive Research Description
- Development of molecular tools to investigate influenza transmission
- Molecular epidemiology and evolution of respiratory syncytial virus
- Development of informatics tools to identify healthcare associated infections due to methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus
- The intended and unintended effects of large-scale adverse event notifications. Wagner TH, Taylor TT, Cowgill E, Asch SM, Su P, Bokhour BG, Durfee JM, Martinello RA, Maguire EM, Elwy AR. The intended and unintended effects of large-scale adverse event notifications. British Medical Journal Quality & Safety 2015;24:295-302.
- Healthcare worker influenza declination form program. LaVela SL, Hill JN, Smith BM, Evans CT, Goldstein B, Martinello RA. Healthcare worker influenza declination form program. American Journal of Infection Control. 2015;43(6):624-8.
- Comprehensive survey of hand hygiene measurement and improvement practices in the Veterans Health Administration. Schacht-Reisinger H, Yin J, Radonovich L, Knighton VT, Martinello RA, Hodgson MJ, Perencevich E. American Journal of Infection Control 2013;41:989-993.
- MRSA nasal carriage patterns and subsequent risk of conversion between patterns, infection and death. Gupta K, Martinello RA, Young M, Strymish J, Cho K, Lawler E. PLoS ONE 2013;8(1):e53674.
- Effectiveness of common healthcare disinfectants against H1N1 influenza virus on reusable elastomeric respirators. Subhash SS, Cavaiuolo M, Radonovich LJ jr., Eagan A, Lee ML, Campbell S, Martinello RA. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2014;35(7):894-897.
- Improving Healthcare Systems’ Large Scale Adverse Event Disclosures: A Department of Veterans Affairs Leadership, Research, Operations and Stakeholder Partnership. Elwy AR, Bokhour BG, Maguire EM, Wagner TH, Asch SM, Gifford AL, Gallagher TH, Durfee JM, Martinello RA, Schiffner S, Jesse RL. Journal of General Internal Medicine 2014;29 (4):895-903.
- Building Strong Research Partnerships Between Public Health and Researchers: A VA Case Study. Midboe AM, Elwy AR, Durfee JM, Gifford AL, Yakovchenko V, Martinello RA, Ross D, Czarnogorski M, Goetz MB, Asch SM. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2014;29(4):831-834.
- STI diagnosis and HIV testing among OEF/OIF/OND Veterans. Goulet JL, Martinello RA, Bathulapalli H, Higgins D, Driscoll MA, Brandt CA, Womack JA. Medical Care 2014;52 (12):1064-1067
- Expanded HIV Testing in the US Department of Veterans Affairs, 2009–2011. Czarnogorski M, Halloran J, Pedati C, Dursa EK, Durfee J, Martinello R, Davey VJ, Ross D. American Journal of Public Health 2013;103(12):e40-e45