Peter S. Marshall MD, MPH
Assistant Professor of Medicine (Pulmonary); Medical Director, Medical Step-Down Unit YSC Yale-New Haven Hospital; Medical Director, Respiratory Care - Yale-New Haven Hospital
I attended Yale College from 1987 - 1991 and then completed medical school at the University of Connecticut in 1995. I returned to New Haven in 1995 to begin an internship in Internal Medicine at Yale-New Haven Hospital and completed residency training in 1998.
After leaving Yale-New Haven Hospital I spent four years at the Hospital of Saint Raphael teaching in the Internal Medicine program as one of the Medical Directors. I returned to Yale in 2002 to begin fellowship training in Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine. During my fellowship I completed a Master of Public Health with a focus in chronic disease epidemiology. My research interest during the fellowship and masters degree was in pulmonary embolism, specifically risk stratification.
Upon completion of my fellowship training at Yale in 2005 I joined a large pulmonary and critical care practice affiliated with Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown, Pennsylvania where the focus of my time was teaching internal medicine trainees and critical care medicine.
I returned to the Yale School of Medicine in February of 2008 to join the Pulmonary & Critical Care faculty in the Department of Medicine. My current research areas are in pulmonary embolism, therapeutic hypothermia, and critical care outcomes.
I am currently formulating a multi-disciniplinary team to improve the care of patients with venous thromboembolic disease (that includes an outpatient clinic) and create a structure for research into new treatments for major pulmonary embolism. In addition, I have partnered with YNHH in the piloting of the Tele-ICU (integrated information technology with two-way video and audio technology) to assist with the monitoring and care of ICU patients at distant locations. The goal of the Tele-ICU is to improve the care and safety of critically ill patients across the Yale-New Haven Heatlh Network
Education & Training
- Yale University (1991)
- University of Connecticut School of Medicine (1995)
- Yale School of Public Health (2005)
- Yale-New Haven Hospital, Internal Medicine (1995 - 1996)
- Yale - New Haven Hospital, Internal Medicine (1996 - 1998)
- Clinical Fellow
- Yale School of Medicine, Section of Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine (2002 - 2005)
- Board Certification
- Pulmonary Disease, Board Certified (2005)
- Board Certification
- Critical Care Medicine (Internal Medicine), Board Certified (2007)
- I co-direct the committee that ensures the safety and quality of therapeutic hypothermia provided at YNHH, Yale School of Medicine / Yale - New Haven Hospital (09/01/2008 - 08/01/2012)
- Member, presenter , speaker, American College of Chest Physicians (06/30/2005)
- Board Member, NAMDRC (03/26/2014)