Dr. Juthani is primarily interested in infectious diseases in the aging population. Specifically, she is investigating diagnostic, management, and prevention strategies for urinary tract infections and pneumonia in nursing home residents.
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Juthani has focused her investigative efforts on improving the diagnosis, management, and prevention of infections in older adults. Her federally funded research program has conducted studies on improving the diagnosis and management of UTI in nursing home residents. Currently, she is the Principal Investigator for a clinical trial of cranberry capsules vs placebo for the reduction of UTI in nursing home women. In addition, she was an investigator on a cluster randomized controlled trial to prevent pneumonia in nursing home elders. These avenues of investigation have led to her current interests in the role of antibiotic therapy at the end of life. Her overlying research interests include hospital epidemiology, hospital acquired infections, and multi drug resistant organisms.
- The PRIDE Study Juthani-Mehta M, Van Ness PH, McGloin J, Argraves S, Chen S, Charpentier P, Miller L, Williams K, Wall D, Baker D, Tinetti M, Peduzzi P, Quagliarello VJ. A Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial of a Multicomponent Intervention Protocol for Pneumonia Prevention among Nursing Home Elders. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 2015 Mar 15;60(6):849-57.
- Juthani-Mehta M. Changing Healthcare Providers’ Behavior: To Order or Not to Order a Urine Culture (invited commentary). JAMA Internal Medicine. 2015;175(7):1127-1129.
- Mody L, Juthani-Mehta M. Urinary Tract Infections in Older Women: A Clinical Review. JAMA. 2014;311(8):844-854.
- Juthani-Mehta M, Datunashvili A, Tinetti M. Asymptomatic Bacteriuria in an Older Patient. JAMA 2014;312(16):1687-1688.
- Juthani-Mehta M. Should antibiotic prophylaxis after urinary catheter removal be standard practice? BMJ 2013;346:f3938 (editorial).
- Juthani-Mehta M, De Rekeneire N, Allore H, Chen S, O’Leary JR, Bauer DC, Harris TB, Newman AB, Yende S, Weyant RJ, Kritchevsky S, Quagliarello VJ. Modifiable Risk Factors for Pneumonia Requiring Hospitalization among Community-Dwelling Older Adults: The Health, Aging, and Body Composition Study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2013;61(7):1111-8.
- Das R, Towle V, Van Ness PH, Juthani-Mehta M. Adverse Outcomes in Nursing Home Residents with Increased Episodes of Observed Bacteriuria. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2011;32(1):84-6.
- Juthani-Mehta M, Tinetti M, Perrelli E, Towle V, Van Ness P, Quagliarlelo V. Clinical Features to Identify UTI in Nursing Home Residents: A Cohort Study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 57:963-970, 2009 (with editorial).
- Quagliarello V, Juthani-Mehta M, Ginter S, Towle V, Allore H, Tinetti M. Pilot Testing of Intervention Strategies to Reduce Pneumonia among Nursing Home Residents. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 2009;57(7):1226-31.