Dr. Juthani is primarily interested in infectious diseases in the aging population. Specifically, she is investigating diagnostic, management, and prevention strategies for urinary tract infections and pneumonia in nursing home residents.
Extensive Research Description
- Current projects include two randomized clinical trials conducted in CT nursing homes entitled CRANberry capsules for prevention of UTI in Nursing homes at Yale (CRANNY) and Pneumonia Reduction In Disabled Elders (PRIDE)
- Vaginal microbiome of pre- and post-menopausal women with and without a history of recurrent UTI
- Modifiable risk factors for sepsis among older adults admitted to the MICU
- Mody L, Juthani-Mehta M. Urinary Tract Infections in Older Women: A Clinical Review. JAMA. 2014;311(8):844-854.
- Juthani-Mehta M. Should antibiotic prophylaxis after urinary catheter removal be standard practice? BMJ 2013;346:f3938 (editorial).
- Juthani-Mehta M, De Rekeneire N, Allore H, Chen S, O’Leary JR, Bauer DC, Harris TB, Newman AB, Yende S, Weyant RJ, Kritchevsky S, Quagliarello VJ. Modifiable Risk Factors for Pneumonia Requiring Hospitalization among Community-Dwelling Older Adults: The
- Das R, Towle V, Van Ness PH, Juthani-Mehta M. Adverse Outcomes in Nursing Home Residents with Increased Episodes of Observed Bacteriuria. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2011;32(1):84-6.
- Juthani-Mehta M, Quagliarello V. Infectious Diseases in the Nursing Home Setting: Challenges and Opportunities for Clinical Investigation. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2010; 51(8):931–936.
- Juthani-Mehta M, Tinetti M, Perrelli E, Towle V, Van Ness P, Quagliarlelo V. Clinical Features to Identify UTI in Nursing Home Residents: A Cohort Study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 57:963-970, 2009 (with editorial).
- Quagliarello V, Juthani-Mehta M, Ginter S, Towle V, Allore H, Tinetti M. Pilot Testing of Intervention Strategies to Reduce Pneumonia among Nursing Home Residents. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 2009;57(7):1226-31.