Arrhythmias, Cardiac; Atrial Flutter; Cardiology; Heart Arrest; Quality of Health Care; Ventricular Fibrillation; Defibrillators, Implantable; Health Care Quality, Access, and Evaluation
Public Health Interests
Cardiovascular Disease; Health Care Quality; Heart Disease
I am a clinical cardiac electrophysiologist, and I study the comparative effectiveness, cost-effectiveness and clinical outcomes associated with cardiac arrhythmias and their treatments. , cardiac electrophysiology and exercise physiology. I have an NIH funded career development award (K23) to study the comparative effectiveness of ablation for atrial fibrillation compared with medical therapy for the prevention of long term adverse outcomes such as death and ischemic stroke. I am also conducting research sponsored by the American Heart Association and industry focused on ICD therapy, heart failure, and atrial fibrillation.
Specialized Terms: Arrhythmias; atrial fibrillation; atrial flutter; ventricular tachycardia; ventricular fibrillation; implantable cardioverter-defibrillator; cardiac ablation; outcomes research; cost-effectiveness
Extensive Research Description
1) Comparative effectiveness of catheter ablation vs medical therapy for atrial fibrillation
2) Symptoms associated with atrial fibrillation in patients in the Outcomes Registry for Better Informed Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation (ORBIT-AF)
3) Contemporary comparative effectiveness of implantable cardioverter-defibrillators vs medical therapy for decreasing mortality
The relation between hospital procedure volume and complications of cardioverter-defibrillator implantation from the implantable cardioverter-defibrillator registry.
Freeman JV,Wang Y, Curtis J, Heidenreich PA, Hlatky MA. (2010) The relation between hospital procedure volume and complications of cardioverter-defibrillator implantation from the implantable cardioverter-defibrillator registry.
Cost-effectiveness of dabigatran compared with warfarin for stroke prevention in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation
Freeman JV, Zhu RP, Hutton D, Owens DK, Garber A,Go AS, Wang PJ, Turakhia M. Cost-effectiveness of dabigatran compared with warfarin for stroke prevention in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Ann Intern Med. 2011 Jan 4;154(1):1-11. Epub 2010 Nov 1.
Physician Procedure Volume and Complications of Cardioverter-Defibrillator Implantation
Freeman JV, Wang Y, Curtis JP, Heidenreich PA, Hlatky MA. Physician Procedure Volume and Complications of Cardioverter-Defibrillator Implantation. Circulation. 2011 Nov 17;125: 57-64.
Procedural Complications, Re-hospitalization, and Repeat Procedures After Catheter Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation
Shah RU*, Freeman JV* (* Co-first authors), Shilane D, Wang PJ, Go AS, Hlatky MA. Procedural Complications, Re-hospitalization, and Repeat Procedures After Catheter Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012 Jan 10;59(2): 143-9.
Effectiveness and Safety of Digoxin Among Contemporary Adults With Incident Systolic Heart Failure
Freeman JV, Yang J, Sung SH, Hlatky MA, Go AS. Effectiveness and Safety of Digoxin Among Contemporary Adults With Incident Systolic Heart Failure. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2013 Sep 10. [Epub ahead of print]
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Black-Maier E, Kim S, Steinberg BA, Fonarow GC, Freeman JV, Kowey PR, Ansell J, Gersh BJ, Mahaffey KW, Naccarelli G, Hylek EM, Go AS, Peterson ED, Piccini JP, Outcomes Registry for Better Informed Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation (ORBIT-AF) Investigators.: Oral anticoagulation management in patients with atrial fibrillation undergoing cardiac implantable electronic device implantation. Clin Cardiol. 2017 Sep; 2017 May 19. PMID: 28543401
- Ross JS, Bates J, Parzynski CS, Akar JG, Curtis JP, Desai NR, Freeman JV, Gamble GM, Kuntz R, Li SX, Marinac-Dabic D, Masoudi FA, Normand ST, Ranasinghe I, Shaw RE, Krumholz HM: Can machine learning complement traditional medical device surveillance? A case study of dual-chamber implantable cardioverter-defibrillators. Med Devices (Auckl). 2017; 2017 Aug 16. PMID: 28860874
- Kaufman BG, Kim S, Pieper K, Allen LA, Gersh BJ, Naccarelli GV, Ezekowitz MD, Fonarow GC, Mahaffey KW, Singer DE, Chan PS, Freeman JV, Ansell J, Kowey PR, Rieffel JA, Piccini J, Peterson E, O'Brien EC: Disease understanding in patients newly diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. Heart. 2017 Aug 8; 2017 Aug 8. PMID: 28790169
- Hess PL, Kim S, Fonarow GC, Thomas L, Singer DE, Freeman JV, Gersh BJ, Ansell J, Kowey PR, Mahaffey KW, Chan PS, Steinberg BA, Peterson ED, Piccini JP, Outcomes Registry for Better Informed Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation (ORBIT-AF) Patients and Investigators.: Absence of Oral Anticoagulation and Subsequent Outcomes Among Outpatients with Atrial Fibrillation. Am J Med. 2017 Apr; 2016 Nov 23. PMID: 27888051
- Freeman JV, Wang Y, Akar J, Desai N, Krumholz H: National Trends in Atrial Fibrillation Hospitalization, Readmission, and Mortality for Medicare Beneficiaries, 1999-2013. Circulation. 2017 Mar 28; 2017 Feb 1. PMID: 28148599
- Freeman JV, Hutton DW, Barnes GD, Zhu RP, Owens DK, Garber AM, Go AS, Hlatky MA, Heidenreich PA, Wang PJ, Al-Ahmad A, Turakhia MP: Cost-Effectiveness of Percutaneous Closure of the Left Atrial Appendage in Atrial Fibrillation Based on Results From PROTECT AF Versus PREVAIL. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2016 Jun. PMID: 27307517
- Freeman JV, Simon DN, Go AS, Spertus J, Fonarow GC, Gersh BJ, Hylek EM, Kowey PR, Mahaffey KW, Thomas LE, Chang P, Peterson ED, Piccini JP, Outcomes Registry for Better Informed Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation (ORBIT-AF) Investigators and Patients.: Association Between Atrial Fibrillation Symptoms, Quality of Life, and Patient Outcomes: Results From the Outcomes Registry for Better Informed Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation (ORBIT-AF). Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2015 Jul; 2015 Jun 9. PMID: 26058720
- Freeman JV, Saxon L: Remote Monitoring and Outcomes in Pacemaker and Defibrillator Patients: Big Data Saving Lives? J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015 Jun 23; 2015 May 13. PMID: 25983010
- Holmqvist F, Kim S, Steinberg BA, Reiffel JA, Mahaffey KW, Gersh BJ, Fonarow GC, Naccarelli GV, Chang P, Freeman JV, Kowey PR, Thomas L, Peterson ED, Piccini JP, ORBIT-AF Investigators.: Heart rate is associated with progression of atrial fibrillation, independent of rhythm. Heart. 2015 Jun; 2015 Mar 2. PMID: 25732748
- Holmqvist F, Guan N, Zhu Z, Kowey PR, Allen LA, Fonarow GC, Hylek EM, Mahaffey KW, Freeman JV, Chang P, Holmes DN, Peterson ED, Piccini JP, Gersh BJ, ORBIT-AF Investigators.: Impact of obstructive sleep apnea and continuous positive airway pressure therapy on outcomes in patients with atrial fibrillation-Results from the Outcomes Registry for Better Informed Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation (ORBIT-AF). Am Heart J. 2015 May; 2015 Feb 7. PMID: 25965712
- Turakhia MP, Ullal AJ, Hoang DD, Than CT, Miller JD, Friday KJ, Perez MV, Freeman JV, Wang PJ, Heidenreich PA: Feasibility of extended ambulatory electrocardiogram monitoring to identify silent atrial fibrillation in high-risk patients: the Screening Study for Undiagnosed Atrial Fibrillation (STUDY-AF). Clin Cardiol. 2015 May; 2015 Apr 14. PMID: 25873476
- Freeman JV, Reynolds K, Fang M, Udaltsova N, Steimle A, Pomernacki NK, Borowsky LH, Harrison TN, Singer DE, Go AS: Digoxin and risk of death in adults with atrial fibrillation: the ATRIA-CVRN study. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2015 Feb; 2014 Nov 20. PMID: 25414270