Aging; Geriatrics; Statistics as Topic; Frail Elderly; Mathematical Concepts; Biostatistics
Public Health Interests
Aging; Biostatistics; Epidemiology Methods
Dr. Allore's research is focused on issues related to the design and analysis of studies of multi-component interventions and the design and analysis of observational studies of multifactorial geriatric health conditions. Other areas of her applied research include developing strategies for handling missing data that frequently occurs in studies of older persons, applying extended Cox models for state transitions in geriatrics, such as frailty and disability that consist of multiple discrete states in which both onset and recovery are possible, and determining the mechanisms of action of an effective multi-component intervention. She has collaborated on several projects in immunology and is introducing new analytic methods to account for correlations among elements of the innate immune system. She developed a subdiscipline of biostatistics within the American Statistical Association that focuses on training and methodological development in Aging Research called "Gerontologic Biostatistics." This discipline trains biostatisticians for conducting collaborative clinical research with geriatricians and gerontologists in elderly populations and provide the basis for the development new statistical methodology. She served on the NIH Aging Systems and Geriatrics study section, VA Human Rights Committee, and CDC Special Emphasis study section. She has served as a reviewer and editorial board member for a variety of medical journals.
Specialized Terms: State transition models; Experimental design; Longitudinal methods; Missing data Methods; Marginal structural models; Latent class models; Trajectory models; Dynamic stochastic models; Joint models
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Allore's current research includes functional and mobility disability in the elderly, differences in immune system function of between young and older persons, age–related macular degeneration, multiple morbidity analysis, and falls in the elderly. She is also developing a subdiscipline of biostatistics within the American Statistical Association that focuses on training and methodological development in geriatrics called “gerontologic biostatistics.” This discipline would train biostatisticians for conducting collaborative clinical research with geriatricians and gerontologists in elderly populations and provide the basis for the development new statistical methodology.
- Xu X, Liang J, Bennett JM, Botoseneanu A, Allore HG. Socioeconomic Stratification and Multidimensional Health Trajectories: Evidence of Convergence in Later Old Age Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2014 Aug 26. pii: gbu095. [Epub ahead of print] PMIC:25161216 EDITOR'S CHOICE
- Gill TM, Gahbauer EA, Han L, Allore HG. The Role of Intervening Hospitalizations on Trajectories of Disability in the Last Year of Life: Prospective Cohort Study of Older Persons. British Medical Journal 2015; 350 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.h2361
- Allore HG, Zhan Y, Tinetti M, Trentalange M, McAvay G. Longitudinal Average Attributable Fraction As A Method For Studying Time-Varying Conditions And Treatments On Recurrent Self-rate Health: The Case Of Medications In Older Adults With Multiple Chronic Conditions. Annals of Epidemiology. 2015. S1047-2797(15)00158-1. doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2015.03.022. NIHMS689077
- Lin H, Han L, Peduzzi PN, Murphy TE, Gill TM, Allore HG. A dynamic trajectory class model for intensive longitudinal categorical outcome. Stat Med. 2014; 33(15):2645-64. doi: 10.1002/sim.6109. PMID:24519416
- Panda A, Chen S, Shaw AC, Allore HG. Statistical Approaches for Analyzing Immunologic Data of Repeated Observations: A Practical Guide Journal of Immunological Methods. J Immunological Methods. 2013; 398-9:19-26 PMID: 24055129 PMC3840087
- Buurman BM, Trentalange M, Nicholson N, McGloin JM, Gahbauer EA, Allore HG, Gill TM. Residential Relocations Among Older People Over The Course Of More Than 10 Years. J Am Med Dir Assoc.. 2014 doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2014.03.013.
- Bruvik FK, Allore HG, Ranhoff AH, Engedal K. The Effect of Psychosocial Support Intervention on Depression in Patients with Dementia and Their Family Caregivers: An Assessor-Blinded Randomized Controlled Trial Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord Extra 2013;3(1):386-397. PMID:24348500 PMC3843914
- Han L, Allore H, Murphy T, Gill T, Peduzzi P, Lin H. Dynamics of functional aging based on latent-class trajectories of activities of daily living. Ann Epidemiol. 2013; 23(2):87-92. PMID: 23305692
- Gill TM, Murphy TE, Gahbauer EA, Allore HG. The Course of Disability Before and After a Serious Fall Injury. JAMA Intern Med. 2013
- Chaudhry SI, Murphy TE, Gahbauer E, Sussman LS, Allore HG, Gill TM. Restricting Symptoms in the Last Year of Life: A Prospective Cohort Study. JAMA Intern Med. 2013 173(16):1534-40. PMID:23836056
- Ning Y, McAvay G, Chaudhry S, Arnold A, Allore HG. Results Differ by Applying Distinctive Multiple Imputation Approaches on the Longitudinal Cardiovascular Health Study Data. Exp Aging Res. 2013; 39:(1):27-43
- Allore HG, Ning Y, Brandt C, Goulet J. Accounting for Hierarchical Structure in Veteran Health Administration Data: Differences in Healthcare Utilization between Men and Women Veterans. International J Statistics Med Res. 2013; 2:94-103.
- Gill TM; Murphy TE; Gahbauer EA; Allore HG. Association of Injurious Falls With Disability Outcomes and Nursing Home Admissions in Community-Living Older Persons. Am J Epid. 2013; 178(3):418-25.
- Tinetti ME, McAvary GJ, Murphy TE, Gross CP, Lin H, Allore HG. Contribution Of Individual Diseases To Death In Older Adults With Multiple Diseases. 2012. J Am Geriatr Soc. 60(8):1448-56.
- Murphy TE, McAvay G, Carriero NJ, Gross CP, Tinetti ME, Allore HG, Lin H. Deaths Observed in Medicare Beneficiaries: Average Attributable Fraction and its Longitudinal Extension for Many Diseases. 2012. Statistics in Medicine. PMIC: 22415597
- Lin H, Allore HG, McAvay G, Tinetti ME, Gill TM, Gross CP, Murphy TE. A Method for Partitioning the Attributable Fraction of Multiple Time-Dependent Co-existing Risk Factors for an Adverse Health Outcome. Amer J Public Health. 2012 PMID:22515873
- Murphy TE, Allore HG, Leo-Summers L, Carlin BP. Bayesian hierarchical modeling for a non-randomized, longitudinal fall prevention trial with spatially correlated observations. Statistics In Medicine, 2011 Feb 28;30(5):522-30. PMID:21294148
- Gill TM, Han L, Gahbauer E, Allore HG. Trajectories in the Last Year of Life. N Engl J Med. 2010. 362(13):1173-80. PMID: 20357280 PMCID: PMC2877372
- Botoseneanu A, Allore HG, Gahbauer EA, Gill TM. Long-term Trajectories of Lower Extremity Function in Older Adults: Estimating Gender Differences While Accounting for Potential Mortality Bias. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2012; 68(7):861-8. PMID:23160367
- Gill TM, Allore HG, Gahbauer E, Murphy TE. Change in Disability after Hospitalization or Restricted Activity in Older Persons. JAMA. 2010 Nov 3;304(17):1919-28.PMID: 21045098.
- Murphy TE, Han L, Allore HG, Peduzzi PN, Gill TM, Lin H. Treatment of Death in the Analysis of Longitudinal Studies of Gerontologic Outcomes. Journal of Gerontology: A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011 Jan;66(1):109-14. PMID: 21030467
- Van Ness PH, Charpentier PA, Ip EH, Leng X, Murphy TE, Tooze JA, Allore HG. Gerontologic Biostatistics: The Statistical Challenges of Clinical Research with Older Study Participants 2010 J Am Geriatr Soc. PMID: 20533963
- Tinetti ME, Baker DI, King M, Gottschalk M, Murphy TE, Acampora D, Carlin BP, Leo-Summers L, Allore HG. Effect of dissemination of evidence in reducing injuries from falls. N Engl J Med. 2008 359(3):252-61.
- Lin H, Guo Z, Peduzzi PN, Gill TM, Allore HG: A semiparametric transition model with latent traits for longitudinal multistate data. Biometrics. 2008 64(4):1032-42.
- Hardy SE, Allore H, Studenski SA. Missing Data: A Special Challenge in Aging Research. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009
- Allore HG, Murphy TE. An Examination of Effect Estimation in Factorial and Standardly-Tailored Designs. Clin Trials 2008 5:121-130.
- Allore HG, Tinetti ME, Gill TM, Peduzzi PN. Experimental Designs for Multicomponent Interventions Among Persons With Multifactorial Geriatric Syndromes . Clin Trials 2005 2:13–21.
- Peduzzi P, Guo Z, Marottoli RA, Gill TM, Araujo K, Allore HG. Improved self–confidence was a mechanism of action in two geriatric trials evaluating multi–component physical interventions. J Clin Epid. 2007 60(1):94–102 .
- Van Ness PH, Murphy TE, Araujo KLB, Pisani MA, Allore HG. The use of missingness screens in clinical epidemiologic research has implications for regression modeling. J Clin Epidemiol. 2007 Dec60(12):1239-45.
- Allore HG, Tinetti ME, Araujo KL, Hardy S, Peduzzi PN. A case study found that a regression tree outperformed multiple linear regression in predicting the relationship between impairments and social and productive activities scores. J Clin Epid. 2005 58(2):154–161.
- Gill TM, Baker DI, Gottschalk M, Peduzzi PN, Allore HG, Byers A. A program to prevent functional decline in physically frail, elderly persons who live at home. N Engl J Med. 2002 347:1068–1074.
- Fried TR, Bradley EH, Towle VR, Allore HG. Understanding seriously ill patients’ preferences for treatments and their outcomes. N Engl J Med. 2001 346:1061–1066.
- J Gerontol: Med Sci 2016; 71(8):1113-1116. doi: 10.1093/gerona/glv223
- 134. Allore H, McAvay G, Vaz Fragoso CA, Murphy TE. Individualized Absolute Risk Calculations for Persons with Multiple Chronic Conditions: Embracing Heterogeneity, Causality, and Competing Events. Int J Stat Med Res. 2016. 5(1):48-55. http://dx.doi.org/10.6000/1929-6029.2016.05.01.5 PMC4827855
- 130. Tinetti ME, McAvay G, Trentalange M, Cohen AB, Allore HG. Association between guideline-recommended medications and death in older adults with multiple chronic conditions: Population-based Cohort Study. Brit Med J. 2015. 351:h4984 PMC4591503 (with Editorial). 131. Han L, Gill TM, Jones BL, Allore HG. Cognitive Aging Trajectories and Burdens of Disability, Hospitalization and Nursing Home Admission among Community-Living Older Persons. J Gerontol: Med Sci. 2016; 71(6):766-771.