Heart; Liver; Metabolic Diseases; Muscle Contraction; Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy; Exercise; Metabolic Networks and Pathways
My research focuses on the development of novel Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (MRS) techniques to investigate muscle and liver metabolism in vivo. MRS is a unique tool because it enables a variety of parameters of metabolism to be investigated, including metabolite concentrations, cellular oxygenation, and the rates of different metabolic reactions. At present, I am interested in the regulation of muscle mitochondrial function versus capacity, and how this is affected by conditions known to modulate metabolism - e.g., endurance training, aging, and diabetes. To investigate this effectively requires the development of robust MRS biomarkers of mitochondrial metabolism, which is the current target of my research.
- Assessment of in vivo mitochondrial metabolism by magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Befroy DE, Falk Petersen K, Rothman DL, Shulman GI. Methods Enzymol. 2009;457:373-93. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3077057/?tool=pubmed
- Magnetic resonance spectroscopy studies of human metabolism. Befroy DE, Shulman GI. Diabetes. 2011 May;60(5):1361-9. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21525507
- DE Befroy, KF Petersen, S Dufour, GF Mason, DL Rothman and GI Shulman. Increased Substrate Oxidation and Mitochondrial Uncoupling in Skeletal Muscle of Endurance Trained Individuals. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105:16701-16706, 2008. PMID: 18936488. http://www
- DE Befroy, CS Choi, R Codella, S Kim, RM Reznick, YJ Hwang, ZX Liu, HY Lee, A Distefano, VT Samuel, D Zhang, GW Cline, C Handschin, J Lin, KF Petersen, BM Spiegelman, GI Shulman. Paradoxical Effects of Increased Expression of PGC-1 on Muscle Mitochondrial
- DE Befroy, KF Petersen, S Dufour, GF Mason, RA de Graaf, DL Rothman and GI Shulman. Impaired Mitochondrial Substrate Oxidation in Muscle of Insulin-Resistant Offspring of Type 2 Diabetic Patients. Diabetes 56:1376-1381, 2007. PMID: 17287462. http://www.nc
- KF Petersen, D Befroy, S Dufour, J Dzuira, C Ariyan, DL Rothman, L DiPietro, GW Cline and GI Shulman. Mitochondrial dysfunction in the elderly: possible role in insulin resistance. Science. 300:1140-1142, 2003. PMID: 12750520.
- KF Petersen, S Dufour, D Befroy, Rina Reyes and GI Shulman. Impaired mitochondrial activity in insulin-resistant offspring of Type 2 diabetics. N. Engl. J. Med. 350: 664-671, 2004. PMID: 14960743.