David A. Fiellin MD
Professor of Medicine (General Medicine), of Faculty of Arts and Sciences and of Public Health (Health Policy); Professor, Investigative Medicine; Director, Community Research and Implementation Core, Center for Interdisciplinary Research on AIDS (CIRA)
Substance abuse treatment in primary care; Emergency department and HIV specialty settings opioid agonist treatment with buprenorphine; Pharmacologic treatment of alcohol
Dr. Fiellin has focused his scholarly work on the interface between primary care and substance abuse. He conducts research on the transfer of treatment strategies, including opioid agonist treatment with buprenorphine and alcohol pharmacotherapies, from specialized settings to office-based, primary care, emergency department and HIV specialty settings.
- Fiellin DA, Schottenfeld RS, Cutter CJ, Moore BA, Barry DT, O’Connor PG. Primary care–based buprenorphine taper vs maintenance therapy for prescription opioid dependence a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Internal Medicine 2014; 174(12): 1947-1954. PMID: 25330017
- Becker WC, Fiellin DA. Federal plan for prescriber education on opioids misses opportunities. Annals of Internal Medicine 2012 Aug 7;157(3):205-6.
- Becker WC, Tobin DG, Fiellin DA. Nonmedical use of opioid analgesics obtained directly from physicians: prevalence and correlates. Archives of Internal Medicine 2011 Jun 13;171(11):1034-6.
- Fiellin DA, Weiss L, Botsko M, Egan JE, Altice FL, Bazerman LB, Chaudhry AA, Cunningham C, Gourevitch MN, Lum PJ, Sullivan LE, Schottenfeld RS, O'Connor PG. Drug treatment outcomes among HIV-infected, opioid-dependent patients receiving buprenorphine/naloxone. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2011; 56 Suppl 1:S33-S38. PMID 21317592; PMCID:PMC3863630.
- Sullivan LE, Fiellin DA. Buprenorphine for opioid dependent patients in office practice. Annals of Internal Medicine 2008 148-662-670.
- Martell BA, O’Connor PG, Kerns RD, Becker WC, Morales KH, Kosten TR, Fiellin DA. Systematic Review: Opioid treatment for chronic back pain: prevalence, efficacy, and association with addiction. Annals of Internal Medicine 2007 146:116-127.
- Tetrault JM, Crothers K, Moore B, Mehra R, Concato J, Fiellin DA. Effects of marijuana smoking on pulmonary function and respiratory complications: A systematic review. Archives of Internal Medicine 2007;167:221-228. PMID:17296876 ; PMCID: PMC2720277.
- Fiellin DA, Pantalon MV, Chawarski MC Moore BA, Sullivan LE, O’Connor PG, Schottenfeld RS. Counseling plus buprenorphine-naloxone maintenance treatment in primary care. New England Journal of Medicine. 2006;355(4):365-374.
- Mehra R, Moore BA, Crothers K, Tetrault J, Fiellin DA. The association between marijuana smoking and lung cancer: A systematic review. Archives of Internal Medicine 2006;166:1359-1367. PMID:16832000.
- Sullivan LE, Fiellin DA. Buprenorphine: its role in preventing HIV transmission and improving the care of HIV infected patients with opioid dependence. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2005;41(6):891-6. PMID:16107991.