Ali Khaled Abu-Alfa MD, FASN
Assistant Professor (Adjunct) of Medicine (Nephrology)
Delivery and methods of peritoneal dialysis; Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis and Gadolinium Containing Contrast Agents;(epidemiology, mechanism of disease, policy and risk reduction); Chronic kidney disease care optimization (anemia management and treatment of CKD-Mineral Bone Disorders); Caner-related renal disorders
- Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis: Epidemiology, risk factors and risk estimation
- Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis: Therapy
- Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis and Imaging: Risk reduction and management
- Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis and Imaging: Screening for at-risk patients in MRI
- Anemia management in CKD and hospitalized patients
- Peritoenal Dialysis Physiologic studies
My primary research interests are:
- The delivery and methods of peritoneal dialysis as well as patient choice in renal replacement therapy.
- Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis and Gadolinium Containing Contrast Agents. focusing on epidemiology, mechanism of disease, policy and risk reduction.
- Optimizing the care of patients with chronic kidney disease with particular focus on anemia management and treatment of CKD-Mineral Bone Disorders.
Extensive Research Description
I am primarily interested in improving the delivery and methods of peritoneal dialysis, especially Automated Peritoneal Dialysis and new dialysate solutions. I am also interested in optimizing the care of patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) with particular focus on anemia management and CKD-MBD, and on the transition to the renal replacement therapy phase.
A recent and active interest has been Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis and its association with Gadolinium-based Contrast Agents, focusing on risk reduction and policy. An annual mutli-disciplinary international conference has been held at Yale for the past 3 years, devoted to the issue with the fourth meeting being held in May 2010 in collaboration with the New York Academy of Sciences.
Cancer-related kidney diseases and complications are also within my areas of interest.