Combat Disorders; Depression; Internal Medicine; Menopause; Stress Disorders, Post-Traumatic; Women's Health; Veterans Health; Chronic Pain
Women’s health including women veteran’s health, chronic pain, menopause, hormone therapy, and women’s health education. Specific interests include gender specific outcomes after combat exposure in male and female veterans. A current project, the Women Veteran’s Cohort Study, is examining gender differences in outcomes of PTSD, depression, chronic pain, military sexual trauma, cost of care, and utilization after combat exposure in the national cohort of veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. A recent study has been completed that surveyed more than 1000 women veterans about their experiences with menopause and hormone therapy. Another recently completed study surveyed women veterans about their experiences with chronic pain and associations with sexual trauma history.
Speciailzed Terms: Women's health; Women veteran's health; Chronic pain; Menopause; Hormone therapy; Women's health education
Discontinuing postmenopausal hormone therapy: an observational study of tapering versus quitting cold turkey: is there a difference in recurrence of menopausal symptoms?
Haskell SG, Bean-Mayberry BA, Gordon K. Discontinuing post-menopausal hormone therapy. An observational study of tapering versus quitting cold turkey: Is there a difference in recurrence of menopausal symptoms? In Press, Menopause 2008.
The Association of Pain with Sexual Trauma in a sample of women veterans receiving primary care.
Haskell SG, Papas R, Heapy A, Reid MC, Kerns R. The Association of Pain with Sexual Trauma in a sample of women veterans receiving primary care. Pain Medicine 2008.
Determinants of hormone therapy discontinuation among female veterans nationally.
Haskell SG, Bean-Mayberry BA, Goulet J, Skanderson M, Justice A. Determinants of hormone therapy discontinuation among female veterans nationally. Mil Med. 2008 Jan: 173(1) 91-6.
The prevalence and age-related characteristics of pain in a sample of women veterans receiving primary care.
Haskell SG, Heapy A, Reid MC, Papas R, Kerns R. The prevalence and age-related characteristics of pain in a sample of women veterans receiving primary care. J Women’s Health (Larchmt). 2006 Sept: 15(7): 862-9.
A novel program to increase the number of women patients seen by residents in a VA hospital.
Haskell SG, Reisman AB, A novel program to increase the number of women patients seen by residents in a VA hospital. Academic Medicine 200479:9:851-54.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Hamilton AB, Farmer MM, Moin T, Finley EP, Lang AJ, Oishi SM, Huynh AK, Zuchowski J, Haskell SG, Bean-Mayberry B: Enhancing Mental and Physical Health of Women through Engagement and Retention (EMPOWER): a protocol for a program of research. Implement Sci. 2017 Nov 7; 2017 Nov 7. PMID: 29116022
- Haskell SG, Brandt C, Burg M, Bastian L, Driscoll M, Goulet J, Mattocks K, Dziura J: Incident Cardiovascular Risk Factors Among Men and Women Veterans After Return From Deployment. Med Care. 2017 Nov. PMID: 28984707
- Gerber MR, King MW, Iverson KM, Pineles SL, Haskell SG: Association Between Mental Health Burden and Coronary Artery Disease in U.S. Women Veterans Over 45: A National Cross-Sectional Study. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2017 Oct 5; 2017 Oct 5. PMID: 28981382
- Driscoll MA, Higgins D, Shamaskin-Garroway A, Burger A, Buta E, Goulet JL, Heapy A, Kerns RD, Brandt CA, Haskell SG: Examining Gender as a Correlate of Self-Reported Pain Treatment Use Among Recent Service Veterans with Deployment-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders. Pain Med. 2017 Sep 1. PMID: 28379576
- Bastian LA, Driscoll MA, Heapy AA, Becker WC, Goulet JL, Kerns RD, DeRycke EC, Perez E, Lynch SM, Mattocks K, Kroll-Desrosiers AR, Brandt CA, Skanderson M, Bathulapalli H, Haskell SG: Cigarette Smoking Status and Receipt of an Opioid Prescription Among Veterans of Recent Wars. Pain Med. 2017 Jun 1. PMID: 27659441
- Higgins DM, Fenton BT, Driscoll MA, Heapy AA, Kerns RD, Bair MJ, Carroll C, Brennan PL, Burgess DJ, Piette JD, Haskell SG, Brandt CA, Goulet JL: Gender Differences in Demographic and Clinical Correlates among Veterans with Musculoskeletal Disorders. Womens Health Issues. 2017 Jul - Aug; 2017 Mar 18. PMID: 28325585
- Patel KV, Cochrane BB, Turk DC, Bastian LA, Haskell SG, Woods NF, Zaslavsky O, Wallace RB, Kerns RD: Association of Pain With Physical Function, Depressive Symptoms, Fatigue, and Sleep Quality Among Veteran and non-Veteran Postmenopausal Women. Gerontologist. 2016 Feb. PMID: 26768395
- Bastian LA, Gray KE, DeRycke E, Mirza S, Gierisch JM, Haskell SG, Magruder KM, Wakelee HA, Wang A, Ho GY, LaCroix AZ: Differences in Active and Passive Smoking Exposures and Lung Cancer Incidence Between Veterans and Non-Veterans in the Women's Health Initiative. Gerontologist. 2016 Feb. PMID: 26768384
- Bastian LA, Hayes PM, Haskell SG, Atkins D, Reiber GE, LaCroix AZ, Yano EM: Improving Our Understanding of Health Issues in Older Women Veterans. Gerontologist. 2016 Feb. PMID: 26768383
- Volkman JE, DeRycke EC, Driscoll MA, Becker WC, Brandt CA, Mattocks KM, Haskell SG, Bathulapalli H, Goulet JL, Bastian LA: Smoking Status and Pain Intensity Among OEF/OIF/OND Veterans. Pain Med. 2015 Sep; 2015 Apr 27. PMID: 25917639
- Safdar B, Dziura J, Bathulapalli H, Leslie DL, Skanderson M, Brandt C, Haskell SG: Chest pain syndromes are associated with high rates of recidivism and costs in young United States Veterans. BMC Fam Pract. 2015 Jul 23; 2015 Jul 23. PMID: 26202799
- Driscoll MA, Higgins DM, Seng EK, Buta E, Goulet JL, Heapy AA, Kerns RD, Brandt CA, Haskell SG: Trauma, social support, family conflict, and chronic pain in recent service veterans: does gender matter? Pain Med. 2015 Jun; 2015 Apr 30. PMID: 25930005
- Whitehead AM, Czarnogorski M, Wright SM, Hayes PM, Haskell SG: Improving trends in gender disparities in the Department of Veterans Affairs: 2008-2013. Am J Public Health. 2014 Sep. PMID: 25100416
- Haskell SG, Bathulapalli H, Pham T, Goulet J, Skanderson M, Driscoll M, Brandt C, Dziura J: Sex differences in patient and provider response to elevated low-density lipoprotein cholesterol. Womens Health Issues. 2014 Sep-Oct. PMID: 25213750
- Seng EK, Driscoll MA, Brandt CA, Bathulapalli H, Goulet J, Silliker N, Kerns RD, Haskell SG: Prescription headache medication in OEF/OIF veterans: results from the Women Veterans Cohort Study. Headache. 2013 Sep; 2013 Jun 28. PMID: 23808756
- Womack JA, Scotch M, Leung SN, Skanderson M, Bathulapalli H, Haskell SG, Brandt CA: Use of structured and unstructured data to identify contraceptive use in women veterans. Perspect Health Inf Manag. 2013; 2013 Jul 1. PMID: 23861675
- Blackstock OJ, Haskell SG, Brandt CA, Desai RA: Gender and the use of Veterans Health Administration homeless services programs among Iraq/Afghanistan veterans. Med Care. 2012 Apr. PMID: 22422055
- Duggal M, Goulet JL, Womack J, Gordon K, Mattocks K, Haskell SG, Justice AC, Brandt CA: Comparison of outpatient health care utilization among returning women and men veterans from Afghanistan and Iraq. BMC Health Serv Res. 2010 Jun 22; 2010 Jun 22. PMID: 20565985
- Haskell SG, Papas RK, Heapy A, Reid MC, Kerns RD: The association of sexual trauma with persistent pain in a sample of women veterans receiving primary care. Pain Med. 2008 Sep; 2008 Jun 28. PMID: 18565005
- Haskell SG, Richardson ED: The effect of raloxifene on cognitive function in postmenopausal women: a randomized clinical trial. Conn Med. 2004 Jun-Jul. PMID: 15266884
- Haskell SG: After the Women's Health Initiative: Postmenopausal women's experiences with discontinuing estrogen replacement therapy. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2004 May. PMID: 15186661
- Haskell SG: Selective estrogen receptor modulators. South Med J. 2003 May. PMID: 12911186