Occupational Groups; Occupational Medicine; Veterans; Occupational Exposure; Low Back Pain; Environmental Medicine
Public Health Interests
Dr Sakr conducted research on workers with specific exposures and tried to evaluate whether their occupational exposures resulted in adverse health effects. She studied a group of employees who were exposed to biopersistant chemicals and evaluated the effects of their exposure on health parameters (lipids, liver enzymes, etc) and other endpoints such as ischemic heart disease and mortality. She also evaluated a cluster of adverse pregancy outcomes among a group of Aluminum Smelter workers.
Currently she is evaluating low back pain in a cohort of Veterans who were deployed in the Gulf War.
She is also working on multiple initiatives to improve health and safety of healthcare workers at VA CT (improving flu immunization among employees, decreasing rates of work-related injuries, etc).
Specialized Terms: Health and safety of Healthcare workers; Low back pain in OEF/OIF Veterans
- Sakr C, Oyebode T, Galusha D, Slade M, Fiellin M, Bayer F, Savitz D, Cullen M. Reproductive outcomes among male and female workers at an aluminum smelter. J Occup Environ Med. 2010;52:137-43
- Sakr CJ, Symons JM, Kreckmann Kh, Leonard RC. Ischemic heart disease mortality study among workers with occupational exposure to ammonium perfluorooctanoate. Occup Environ Med. 2009;66:699-703. Epub 2009 Jun 23
- Sakr CJ, Leonard RC, Kreckmann KH, Green JW, Gillies PJ, Reynolds JR. Cross-sectional study of lipids and liver enzymes related to a serum biomarker of exposure (ammonium perfluorooctonoate or APFO) in a cohort of occupationally exposed workers. J Occup Environ Med. 2007;49:1086-1096
- Sakr CJ, Leonard RC, Kreckmann KH, Slade MD, Cullen MR. Longitudinal study of serum lipids and liver enzymes in workers with occupational exposure to ammonium perfluorooctanoate (APFO). J Occup Environ Med. 2007;49:872-879. Erratum in: J Occup Environ Med. 2007;49:1294
- Leonard RC, Kreckmann KH, Sakr CJ, Symons JM. Retrospective cohort mortality study of workers in a polymer production plant including a reference population of regional workers. Ann Epidemiol. 2008; 18:15-22
- Kreckmann KH, Sakr CJ, Leonard RC, Dawson BJ. Estimation and validation of biomarker-based exposures for historical ammonium perfluorooctanoate. J Occup Environ Hyg. 2009;6:511-6