Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome; Epidemiologic Methods; HIV; Prisoners; Women's Health; Substance-Related Disorders; Biostatistics
Public Health Interests
Biostatistics; Epidemiology Methods; HIV/AIDS
School of Nursing
Dr. Meyer's research focuses on HIV prevention and treatment for justice-involved women.
Specialized Terms: HIV; women's health; prisoners; substance use disorders; criminal justice system; partner violence
Optimization of HIV Treatment during Incarceration: Viral Suppression at the Prison Gate.
Meyer J, Cepeda J, Wu J, Trestman R, Altice F, Springer S. Optimization of HIV Treatment during Incarceration: Viral Suppression at the Prison Gate. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2014 May;174(5):721-9. PMID: 24687044 PMCID: PMC4074594
Gender disparities in HIV treatment outcomes following release from jail: results from a multicenter study.
Meyer J, Zelenev A, Wickersham J, Williams C, Teixiera P, Altice F.Gender disparities in HIV treatment outcomes following release from jail: results from a multicenter study. Am J Public Health. 2014 Mar;104(3):434-41
Gender Differences in Baseline Health, Needs at Release, and Predictors of Care Engagement among HIV-positive Clients Leaving Jail.
Williams C, Kim S, Meyer J, Spaulding A, Teixeira P, Avery A, Moore K, Altice F, Simon D, Wickersham J, Murphy-Swallow D, Ouellet L. Gender Differences in Baseline Health, Needs at Release, and Predictors of Care Engagement among HIV-positive Clients Leaving Jail. AIDS and Behavior 2013 Oct;17 Suppl 2:195-202 PMID: 23314801 PMCID: PMC3758427
Partner Violence and Health among HIV-Infected Jail Detainees.
Meyer J, Wickersham J, Fu J, Brown S, Sullivan T, Springer S, Altice F. Partner Violence and Health among HIV-Infected Jail Detainees. International Journal of Prisoner Health 2013; 9(3): 124-141. DOI: 10.1108/IJPH-03-2013-0011.
Contribution of substance use disorders on HIV treatment outcomes and antiretroviral medication adherence among HIV-infected persons entering jail.
Chitsaz E, Meyer JP, Krishnan A, Springer SA, Marcus R, Zaller N, Jordan AO, Lincoln T, Flanigan TP, Porterfield J, Altice FL. Contribution of substance use disorders on HIV treatment outcomes and antiretroviral medication adherence among HIV-infected persons entering jail. AIDS Behav. 2013 Oct;17 Suppl 2:S118-27.
Optimizing Care for People with HIV who Use Drugs: Evidence-Based Strategies for Overcoming Healthcare Disparities.
Meyer J, Althoff A, Altice F. Optimizing Care for People with HIV who Use Drugs: Evidence-Based Strategies for Overcoming Healthcare Disparities. Clinical Infectious Disease (2013): Epub ahead of print. PMID: 23797288 DOI: 10.1093/cid/cit427.
Emergency Department Use by Released Prisoners with HIV: An Observational Longitudinal Study.
Meyer J, Qiu J, Chen N, Larkin G, Altice F. Emergency Department Use by Released Prisoners with HIV: An Observational Longitudinal Study. PLoS ONE 2012; 7(8): e42416. PMID: 22879972 PMCID: 3411742
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Wickersham JA, Gibson BA, Bazazi AR, Pillai V, Pedersen CJ, Meyer JP, El-Bassel N, Mayer KH, Kamarulzaman A, Altice FL: Prevalence of Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Sexually Transmitted Infections Among Cisgender and Transgender Women Sex Workers in Greater Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Results From a Respondent-Driven Sampling Study. Sex Transm Dis. 2017 Jun 20; 2017 Jun 20. PMID: 28708696
- Meyer JP, Muthulingam D, El-Bassel N, Altice FL: Leveraging the U.S. Criminal Justice System to Access Women for HIV Interventions. AIDS Behav. 2017 May 22; 2017 May 22. PMID: 28534199
- Peasant C, Sullivan TP, Ritchwood TD, Parra GR, Weiss NH, Meyer JP, Murphy JG: Words can hurt: The effects of physical and psychological partner violence on condom negotiation and condom use among young women. Women Health. 2017 Apr 12; 2017 Apr 12. PMID: 28402194
- Peasant C, Sullivan TP, Weiss NH, Martinez I, Meyer JP: Beyond the syndemic: condom negotiation and use among women experiencing partner violence. AIDS Care. 2017 Apr; 2016 Sep 2. PMID: 27590004
- Shrestha R, Karki P, Altice FL, Huedo-Medina TB, Meyer JP, Madden L, Copenhaver M: Correlates of willingness to initiate pre-exposure prophylaxis and anticipation of practicing safer drug- and sex-related behaviors among high-risk drug users on methadone treatment. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2017 Apr 1; 2017 Feb 2. PMID: 28214391
- Peasant C, Montanaro EA, Kershaw TS, Parra GR, Weiss NH, Meyer JP, Murphy JG, Ritchwood TD, Sullivan TP: An event-level examination of successful condom negotiation strategies among young women. J Health Psychol. 2017 Jan 1; 2017 Jan 1. PMID: 28810400
- Meyer JP, Womack JA, Gibson B: Beyond the Pap Smear: Gender-responsive HIV Care for Women. Yale J Biol Med. 2016 Jun; 2016 Jun 27. PMID: 27354845
- Meyer JP, Moghimi Y, Marcus R, Lim JK, Litwin AH, Altice FL: Evidence-based interventions to enhance assessment, treatment, and adherence in the chronic Hepatitis C care continuum. Int J Drug Policy. 2015 Oct; 2015 May 17. PMID: 26077144
- Meyer JP, Cepeda J, Taxman FS, Altice FL: Sex-Related Disparities in Criminal Justice and HIV Treatment Outcomes: A Retrospective Cohort Study of HIV-Infected Inmates. Am J Public Health. 2015 Sep; 2015 Jul 16. PMID: 26180958
- Boyd AT, Song DL, Meyer JP, Altice FL: Emergency department use among HIV-infected released jail detainees. J Urban Health. 2015 Feb. PMID: 25331820
- Meyer JP, Cepeda J, Springer SA, Wu J, Trestman RL, Altice FL: HIV in people reincarcerated in Connecticut prisons and jails: an observational cohort study. Lancet HIV. 2014 Nov 1. PMID: 25473651
- Meyer JP: Capsule Commentary on Pyra et al., sexual minority status and violence among HIV infected and at-risk women. J Gen Intern Med. 2014 Aug. PMID: 24793727
- Meyer JP, Cepeda J, Wu J, Trestman RL, Altice FL, Springer SA: Optimization of human immunodeficiency virus treatment during incarceration: viral suppression at the prison gate. JAMA Intern Med. 2014 May. PMID: 24687044
- Meyer JP, Zelenev A, Wickersham JA, Williams CT, Teixeira PA, Altice FL: Gender disparities in HIV treatment outcomes following release from jail: results from a multicenter study. Am J Public Health. 2014 Mar; 2014 Jan 16. PMID: 24432878
- Meyer JP, Althoff AL, Altice FL: Optimizing care for HIV-infected people who use drugs: evidence-based approaches to overcoming healthcare disparities. Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Nov; 2013 Jun 23. PMID: 23797288
- Chitsaz E, Meyer JP, Krishnan A, Springer SA, Marcus R, Zaller N, Jordan AO, Lincoln T, Flanigan TP, Porterfield J, Altice FL: Contribution of substance use disorders on HIV treatment outcomes and antiretroviral medication adherence among HIV-infected persons entering jail. AIDS Behav. 2013 Oct. PMID: 23673792
- Althoff AL, Zelenev A, Meyer JP, Fu J, Brown SE, Vagenas P, Avery AK, Cruzado-Quiñones J, Spaulding AC, Altice FL: Correlates of retention in HIV care after release from jail: results from a multi-site study. AIDS Behav. 2013 Oct. PMID: 23161210
- Meyer JP, Qiu J, Chen NE, Larkin GL, Altice FL: Frequent emergency department use among released prisoners with human immunodeficiency virus: characterization including a novel multimorbidity index. Acad Emerg Med. 2013 Jan. PMID: 23570481
- Meyer JP, Qiu J, Chen NE, Larkin GL, Altice FL: Emergency department use by released prisoners with HIV: an observational longitudinal study. PLoS One. 2012; 2012 Aug 3. PMID: 22879972
- Springer SA, Spaulding AC, Meyer JP, Altice FL: Public health implications for adequate transitional care for HIV-infected prisoners: five essential components. Clin Infect Dis. 2011 Sep. PMID: 21844030
- Meyer JP, Springer SA, Altice FL: Substance abuse, violence, and HIV in women: a literature review of the syndemic. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2011 Jul; 2011 Jun 13. PMID: 21668380
- Meyer JP, Chen NE, Springer SA: HIV Treatment in the Criminal Justice System: Critical Knowledge and Intervention Gaps. AIDS Res Treat. 2011; 2011 Jul 12. PMID: 21776379
- Chen NE, Meyer JP, Springer SA: Advances in the prevention of heterosexual transmission of HIV/AIDS among women in the United States. Infect Dis Rep. 2011 Jan 1. PMID: 23745166
- Azar MM, Springer SA, Meyer JP, Altice FL: A systematic review of the impact of alcohol use disorders on HIV treatment outcomes, adherence to antiretroviral therapy and health care utilization. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2010 Dec 1; 2010 Aug 11. PMID: 20705402