The Yale-Mulago Medical Fellowship Corporationwas founded through the generosity of Dr. Jock Lawrason’s family. His mother, Elaine Lawrason, has now established the fellowship in memory of his father, Dr. F. Douglas Lawrason. (1919-2009)
Dr. F. Douglas Lawrason did his residency training in internal medicine and hematology at Yale-New Haven Hospital in the mid 1940’s. After serving as an Instructor in Medicine at Yale he went on the National Academy of Sciences in Washington, D.C. During his long professional life he served in many leadership roles in academic medicine and in the research field through several pharmaceutical corporations. After the National Academy of Sciences he went on to the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, where he served as Assistant Dean. He then went on the University of Arkansas where he served as Provost of the university and Dean of the medical school. After several years there he moved on and was appointed Executive Director and Vice President for Medical Research at the Merck Sharpe and Dome Pharmaceutical Corporation. The academic community lured him back to Texas where he was Dean of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School for several years. He eventually moved back into the pharmaceutical industry where he became President of the Research Division at Schering Plough. He finished his career as President of Invitron, a biotechnology corporation. Over his career, he served on several boards, including a position as Chairman of the Board of Morristown Hospital, a major teaching hospital in the Atlantic Health System in New Jersey, and also on the board of trustees of the Seeing Eye Foundation in Morristown, New Jersey.
The Yale-Mulago Medical Fellowship Corporation is also supported by other donors and its primary mission is to build human capacity for health with under-resourced partners. The Corporation has worked to provide opportunities to physicians from Uganda and now Indonesia for further training at Yale and its affiliated hospitals. Since 2007, we have trained fifteen faculty and consultants from Makerere College of Health Sciences and its major teaching hospital, the Mulago Hospital, in the subspecialties of internal medicine. Over the past three years, two Indonesian physicians from a rural clinic have come for observerships with us.
As a 501(c) corporation, we welcome your tax exempt donations.