William Clark Becker MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine (General Medicine)
My research broadly pertains to improving quality of care of patients with chronic non-cancer pain in primary care. Specific areas of interest include improving:
efficacy and safety of opioid analgesics
provider-patient communication in chronic pain treatment
resident/medical student education in management of chronic pain.
- Becker, WC; Fiellin, DA. Federal plan for prescriber education on opioids misses opportunities. Annals of Internal Medicine. Online First. 2012: May 8.
- Becker, WC; Tobin, DG; Fiellin, DA. Non-medical use of opioid analgesics obtained directly from physicians: prevalence and correlates. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2011: 171(11); 1034-1036.
- Becker, WC; Starrels, JL; Heo, M; Li, X; Weiner, MG; Turner, BJ. Racial differences in primary care opioid risk reduction strategies. Annals of Family Medicine. 2011. 9(3): 219-225.
- Becker, WC; O’Connor, PG. Safety of Opioid Analgesics in the Elderly. New Data Raise New Concerns. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2010: 170(22); 1986-1988.
- Starrels, JL; Becker, WC; Alford, DP; Kapoor, A; Williams, AR; Turner, BJ. Treatment agreements and urine drug testing to reduce opioid misuse in patients with chronic pain: A systematic review. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2010: 152(11); 712-720.
- Becker WC, Fiellin DA, Gallagher RM, Barth KS, Ross JT, Oslin DW. Chronic pain and its association with prescription drug abuse in veterans. Pain Medicine. 2009: 10(3); 531-536
- Becker WC, Tetrault JM, Desai RA, Sullivan LE, Fiellin DA. Non-medical use, abuse and dependence on prescription opioids among U.S. adults: Psychiatric, medical and substance abuse correlates. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2008: 94(1-3); 38-44.
- Martell BA, O’Connor PG, Kerns RD, Becker WC, Morales KH, Kosten TR, Fiellin DA. Opioid treatment for chronic back pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis of their prevalence, efficacy and association with addiction. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2007: 146; 116-127