Geriatrics; Heart Failure; Internal Medicine; Quality Assurance, Health Care; Quality of Health Care; Diseases; Health Care
Dr. Chaudhry’s research is directed toward improving outcomes in older patients with heart failure. She is currently funded by the NIH to conduct studies to determine the prognostic importance of geriatric conditions in patients with heart failure. She also has an interest in remote monitoring systems in heart failure.
Research Organizations include Center for OUtcomes Research & Evaluation (CORE), and the Center for Health Care Innovation, Redesign, and Learning (CHIRAL).
Extensive Research Description
In addition to her role as Director of the Academic Hospitalist Program at the Yale University School of Medicine and Yale New Haven Hospital, Dr. Sarwat Chaudhry is an accomplished outcomes researcher who has earned National and University honors, and authored numerous peer-reviewed publications. She is Principle Investigator for NIH-funded, large-scale studies focused on improving outcomes in hospitalized patients, and is one of the few investigators in the country to focus her research on older patients hospitalized for cardiovascular disease.
In 2012, she was awarded R01 funding from NIH / NHLBI to develop and validate risk stratification models for older patients hospitalized with acute myocardial infarction (“SILVER-AMI”). This study is currently underway, and integrates principles from both geriatrics and cardiology to develop post-AMI risk models specifically designed for patients 75 years of age and older. Her team established a recruitment network of nearly 100 cardiology practices across the country, consisting primarily of community based groups, who will enroll 3000 participants.
Her PRosPECt-HF trial (“PRimary PalliativE Care for Heart Failure), recently funded by the National Palliative Care Research Center, seeks to integrate palliative care into heart failure management. This study was inspired by her previous research where she served as Director of Science in the largest clinical trial to date of remote symptom monitoring for patients with heart failure. “Telemonitoring in Patients with Heart Failure,” tracked symptoms and weight of patients recently discharged after hospitalization for heart failure to determine the value of daily symptom monitoring to avert readmissions. Results delivered a clear verdict that telemonitoring during this transition-of-care period did not, in fact, improve readmission or mortality. This work also initiated a much-needed investigation into the high burden of symptoms suffered by heart failure patients following hospitalization.
In September 2014, Dr. Chaudhry initiated the Yale Center for Healthcare Innovation, Redesign, and Learning (CHIRAL) which is designed to study and improve care transitions of patients moving into, within, and out of the hospital setting. CHIRAL, which has support from Yale New Haven Hospital (YNHH) and Yale University, was formed under a P30 award from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). The Center’s aim is to use innovative, flexible methodology to understand and remediate deviations from safe, high quality care. Key members of the CHIRAL team include co-Investigators Drs. Carol Barsky, Marc Auerbach, Grace Jenq, Steven Bernstein, Stephanie Sudikoff, and Project Director, Beth Hodshon. This multi-disciplinary group and a team of experts in human factors, engineering, communication, as well as outcomes research, health care policy and administration will collaborate to carry out this important mission.
Dr. Chaudhry’s expertise in clinical study design and patient interventions, and her experience with establishing nation-wide recruitment networks, makes her an excellent teacher. She has mentored numerous junior faculty members, Internal Medicine residents, as well as students from the School of Medicine and Nursing interested in exploring clinical research.
National Trends in Recurrent AMI Hospitalizations after Acute Myocardial Infarction in Medicare Beneficiaries: 1999 to 2010
Chaudhry, SI. Khan R, Wang Y, Masoudi F, Dodson JA, Dhamarajan K, Chen J, Krumholz HM National Trends in Recurrent AMI Hospitalizations after Acute Myocardial Infarction in Medicare Beneficiaries: 1999 to 2010. JAHA: Journal of the American Heart Association. 2014 Sep 23;3(5). pii:e001197. PMID: 25249298 [PubMed-in process]
Restricting Symptoms During the Last Year of Life in Older Persons
Chaudhry SI, Murphy TE, Gahbauer E, Sussman LS, Allore HG, Gill, TM. Restricting Symptoms During the Last Year of Life in Older Persons. JAMA Internal Medicine, 2013; 173: 1534-1540, PMID: 23836056.
Cognitive Impairment in Older Adults with Heart Failure: Prevalence, Documentation, and Impact on Outcomes
Dodson JA, Truong TN, Towle VR, Kerins G, Chaudhry SI. Cognitive Impairment in Older Adults with Heart Failure: Prevalence, Documentation, and Impact on Outcomes. American Journal of Medicine, 2013; 126: 120-126, PMID: 23331439; PMCID: PMC3553506.
Risk Factors for Hospitalization Among Older Persons Newly Diagnosed with Heart Failure: The Cardiovascular Health Study
Chaudhry SI, McAvay G, Chen S, Whitson H, Newman AB, Krumholz HM, Gill TM. Risk Factors for Hospitalization Among Older Persons Newly Diagnosed with Heart Failure: The Cardiovascular Health Study. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2013; 65: 635-642, PMID: 23391194.
Geriatric Conditions in Heart Failure. Current Cardiovascular Risk Reports
Dodson JA, Chaudhry SI. Geriatric Conditions in Heart Failure. Current Cardiovascular Risk Reports, 2012; 6: 404-410, PMID: 23997843; PMCID: PMC3755463
Geriatric Assessment to Improve Risk Stratification in Older Patients Undergoing Coronary Revascularization. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes
Chaudhry SI, Gill TM. Geriatric Assessment to Improve Risk Stratification in Older Patients Undergoing Coronary Revascularization. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes, 2011; 4: 491-492. PMID: 21934078.
Telemonitoring in Patients with Heart Failure: Tele-HF Randomized Controlled Trial
Chaudhry SI, Mattera JA, Curtis JP, Spertus JA, Herrin J, Lin Z, Phillips CO, Hodshon BV, Cooper LS, Krumholz HM. Telemonitoring in Patients with Heart Failure: Tele-HF Randomized Controlled Trial. New England Journal of Medicine. 2010, 363: 2301-2309, PMID:21080835; PMCID: PMC3237394.
Geriatric Conditions and Subsequent Mortality in Older Persons with Heart Failure
Chaudhry SI, Wang Y, Gill TM, Krumholz HM. Geriatric Conditions and Subsequent Mortality in Older Persons with Heart Failure. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2010, 55: 271-414, PMID: 20117435; PMCID: PMC2832791.
Patterns of Weight Change Preceding Hospitalization for Heart Failure
Chaudhry SI, Wang Y, Concato J, Gill TM, Krumholz HM. Patterns of Weight Change Preceding Hospitalization for Heart Failure. Circulation. 2007, 116: 1549-1554, PMID: 17846286; PMCID: PMC2892745.
Detection of Errors by Attending Physicians on a General Medicine Service
Chaudhry SI, Olofinboba KA, Krumholz HM. Detection of Errors by Attending Physicians on a General Medicine Service. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2003, 18:595-600, PMID: 12911640; PMCID: PMC1494901.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Murphy TE, Chaudhry SI: Benefit of Warfarin in Older Persons with Atrial Fibrillation. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Nov 12; 2016 Nov 12. PMID: 27858955
- Sankey CB, McAvay G, Siner JM, Barsky CL, Chaudhry SI: "Deterioration to Door Time": An Exploratory Analysis of Delays in Escalation of Care for Hospitalized Patients. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Aug; 2016 Mar 11. PMID: 26969311
- Cheraghlou S, Gahbauer EA, Leo-Summers L, Stabenau HF, Chaudhry SI, Gill TM: Restricting Symptoms Before and After Admission to Hospice. Am J Med. 2016 Jul; 2016 Mar 8. PMID: 26968471
- Feder SL, Schulman-Green D, Dodson JA, Geda M, Williams K, Nanna MG, Allore HG, Murphy TE, Tinetti ME, Gill TM, Chaudhry SI: Risk Stratification in Older Patients With Acute Myocardial Infarction: Physicians' Perspectives. J Aging Health. 2016 Apr; 2015 Jun 22. PMID: 26100619
- Dodson JA, Arnold SV, Gosch KL, Gill TM, Spertus JA, Krumholz HM, Rich MW, Chaudhry SI, Forman DE, Masoudi FA, Alexander KP: Slow Gait Speed and Risk of Mortality or Hospital Readmission After Myocardial Infarction in the Translational Research Investigating Underlying Disparities in Recovery from Acute Myocardial Infarction: Patients' Health Status Registry. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Mar; 2016 Mar 1. PMID: 26926309
- Dharmarajan K, Chaudhry SI: New Approaches to Reduce Readmissions in Patients With Heart Failure. JAMA Intern Med. 2016 Mar. PMID: 26857025
- Hajduk AM, Chaudhry SI: Sedentary Behavior and Cardiovascular Risk in Older Adults: a Scoping Review. Curr Cardiovasc Risk Rep. 2016 Jan; 2016 Jan 29. PMID: 27375828
- Krumholz HM, Chaudhry SI, Spertus JA, Mattera JA, Hodshon B, Herrin J: Do Non-Clinical Factors Improve Prediction of Readmission Risk?: Results From the Tele-HF Study. JACC Heart Fail. 2016 Jan; 2015 Dec 2. PMID: 26656140
- Spatz ES, Curry LA, Masoudi FA, Zhou S, Strait KM, Gross CP, Curtis JP, Lansky AJ, Soares Barreto-Filho JA, Lampropulos JF, Bueno H, Chaudhry SI, D'Onofrio G, Safdar B, Dreyer RP, Murugiah K, Spertus JA, Krumholz HM: The Variation in Recovery: Role of Gender on Outcomes of Young AMI Patients (VIRGO) Classification System: A Taxonomy for Young Women With Acute Myocardial Infarction. Circulation. 2015 Nov 3; 2015 Sep 8. PMID: 26350057
- Khan RF, Feder S, Goldstein NE, Chaudhry SI: Symptom Burden Among Patients Who Were Hospitalized for Heart Failure. JAMA Intern Med. 2015 Oct. PMID: 26280896
- Feder SL, Schulman-Green D, Geda M, Williams K, Dodson JA, Nanna MG, Allore HG, Murphy TE, Tinetti ME, Gill TM, Chaudhry SI: Physicians' perceptions of the Thrombolysis in Myocardial Infarction (TIMI) risk score in older adults with acute myocardial infarction. Heart Lung. 2015 Sep-Oct; 2015 Jul 9. PMID: 26164651
- Murad K, Goff DC Jr, Morgan TM, Burke GL, Bartz TM, Kizer JR, Chaudhry SI, Gottdiener JS, Kitzman DW: Burden of Comorbidities and Functional and Cognitive Impairments in Elderly Patients at the Initial Diagnosis of Heart Failure and Their Impact on Total Mortality: The Cardiovascular Health Study. JACC Heart Fail. 2015 Jul. PMID: 26160370
- Qian F, Parzynski CS, Chaudhry SI, Hannan EL, Shaw BA, Spertus JA, Krumholz HM: Racial Differences in Heart Failure Outcomes: Evidence From the Tele-HF Trial (Telemonitoring to Improve Heart Failure Outcomes). JACC Heart Fail. 2015 Jul. PMID: 26160368
- Wang Y, Lichtman JH, Dharmarajan K, Masoudi FA, Ross JS, Dodson JA, Chen J, Spertus JA, Chaudhry SI, Nallamothu BK, Krumholz HM: National trends in stroke after acute myocardial infarction among Medicare patients in the United States: 1999 to 2010. Am Heart J. 2015 Jan; 2014 Jun 14. PMID: 25497251
- Hsu JC, Varosy PD, Parzynski CS, Chaudhry SI, Dewland TA, Curtis JP, Marcus GM: Procedure timing as a predictor of inhospital adverse outcomes from implantable cardioverter-defibrillator implantation: insights from the National Cardiovascular Data Registry. Am Heart J. 2015 Jan; 2014 Oct 25. PMID: 25497247
- Salim Al-Damluji M, Dzara K, Hodshon B, Punnanithinont N, Krumholz HM, Chaudhry SI, Horwitz LI: Association of discharge summary quality with readmission risk for patients hospitalized with heart failure exacerbation. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2015 Jan; 2015 Jan 13. PMID: 25587092
- Al-Damluji MS, Dzara K, Hodshon B, Punnanithinont N, Krumholz HM, Chaudhry SI, Horwitz LI: Hospital variation in quality of discharge summaries for patients hospitalized with heart failure exacerbation. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2015 Jan; 2015 Jan 13. PMID: 25587091
- Dodson JA, Geda M, Krumholz HM, Lorenze N, Murphy TE, Allore HG, Charpentier P, Tsang SW, Acampora D, Tinetti ME, Gill TM, Chaudhry SI: Design and rationale of the comprehensive evaluation of risk factors in older patients with AMI (SILVER-AMI) study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2014 Nov 5; 2014 Nov 5. PMID: 25370536
- Chaudhry SI, Khan RF, Chen J, Dharmarajan K, Dodson JA, Masoudi FA, Wang Y, Krumholz HM: National trends in recurrent AMI hospitalizations 1 year after acute myocardial infarction in Medicare beneficiaries: 1999-2010. J Am Heart Assoc. 2014 Sep 23; 2014 Sep 23. PMID: 25249298
- Bikdeli B, Wayda B, Bao H, Ross JS, Xu X, Chaudhry SI, Spertus JA, Bernheim SM, Lindenauer PK, Krumholz HM: Place of residence and outcomes of patients with heart failure: analysis from the telemonitoring to improve heart failure outcomes trial. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2014 Sep; 2014 Jul 29. PMID: 25074375
- Akar JG, Bao H, Jones P, Wang Y, Chaudhry SI, Varosy P, Masoudi FA, Stein K, Saxon LA, Curtis JP: Use of remote monitoring of newly implanted cardioverter-defibrillators: insights from the patient related determinants of ICD remote monitoring (PREDICT RM) study. Circulation. 2013 Nov 26; 2013 Sep 16. PMID: 24043302
- Chaudhry SI, Murphy TE, Gahbauer E, Sussman LS, Allore HG, Gill TM: Restricting symptoms in the last year of life: a prospective cohort study. JAMA Intern Med. 2013 Sep 9. PMID: 23836056
- Chaudhry SI, McAvay G, Chen S, Whitson H, Newman AB, Krumholz HM, Gill TM: Risk factors for hospital admission among older persons with newly diagnosed heart failure: findings from the Cardiovascular Health Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013 Feb 12. PMID: 23391194
- Dodson JA, Truong TT, Towle VR, Kerins G, Chaudhry SI: Cognitive impairment in older adults with heart failure: prevalence, documentation, and impact on outcomes. Am J Med. 2013 Feb. PMID: 23331439
- Ning Y, McAvay G, Chaudhry SI, Arnold AM, Allore HG: Results differ by applying distinctive multiple imputation approaches on the longitudinal cardiovascular health study data. Exp Aging Res. 2013. PMID: 23316735
- Dodson JA, Chaudhry SI: Geriatric conditions in heart failure. Curr Cardiovasc Risk Rep. 2012 Oct. PMID: 23997843
- Dodson JA, Wang Y, Chaudhry SI, Curtis JP: Bleeding-avoidance strategies and outcomes in patients ≥80 years of age with ST-elevation myocardial infarction undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention (from the NCDR CathPCI Registry). Am J Cardiol. 2012 Jul 1; 2012 Apr 3. PMID: 22475362
- Chaudhry SI, McAvay G, Ning Y, Allore HG, Newman AB, Gill TM: Risk factors for onset of disability among older persons newly diagnosed with heart failure: the Cardiovascular Health Study. J Card Fail. 2011 Sep. PMID: 21872147
- Chaudhry SI, Herrin J, Phillips C, Butler J, Mukerjhee S, Murillo J, Onwuanyi A, Seto TB, Spertus J, Krumholz HM: Racial disparities in health literacy and access to care among patients with heart failure. J Card Fail. 2011 Feb; 2010 Nov 26. PMID: 21300301
- Chaudhry SI, Mattera JA, Curtis JP, Spertus JA, Herrin J, Lin Z, Phillips CO, Hodshon BV, Cooper LS, Krumholz HM: Telemonitoring in patients with heart failure. N Engl J Med. 2010 Dec 9; 2010 Nov 16. PMID: 21080835
- Chaudhry SI, McAvay G, Ning Y, Allore HG, Newman AB, Gill TM: Geriatric impairments and disability: the cardiovascular health study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010 Sep. PMID: 20863328
- Chaudhry SI, Wang Y, Gill TM, Krumholz HM: Geriatric conditions and subsequent mortality in older patients with heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010 Jan 26. PMID: 20117435
- Chaudhry SI, Barton B, Mattera J, Spertus J, Krumholz HM: Randomized trial of Telemonitoring to Improve Heart Failure Outcomes (Tele-HF): study design. J Card Fail. 2007 Nov. PMID: 17996818
- Chaudhry SI, Wang Y, Concato J, Gill TM, Krumholz HM: Patterns of weight change preceding hospitalization for heart failure. Circulation. 2007 Oct 2; 2007 Sep 10. PMID: 17846286
- Chaudhry SI, Phillips CO, Stewart SS, Riegel B, Mattera JA, Jerant AF, Krumholz HM: Telemonitoring for patients with chronic heart failure: a systematic review. J Card Fail. 2007 Feb. PMID: 17339004
- Foody JM, Chaudhry SI, Krumholz HM: Systolic hypertension in older persons: complexities in clinical decision making. Am J Geriatr Cardiol. 2005 Nov-Dec. PMID: 16276131
- Chaudhry SI, Berlowitz DR, Concato J: Do age and comorbidity affect intensity of pharmacological therapy for poorly controlled diabetes mellitus? J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005 Jul. PMID: 16108941
- Chaudhry SI, Olofinboba KA, Krumholz HM: Detection of errors by attending physicians on a general medicine service. J Gen Intern Med. 2003 Aug. PMID: 12911640