Leora I. Horwitz MD, MHS
Assistant Professor of Medicine (General Medicine)
Patient safety; quality of care; care transfers; medical education
Peri- and post-discharge care
Readmissions among elderly patients
Shift-to-shift transfers of care
My research has focused on patient safety and quality of care, using a systems-based approach. I am particularly interested in handoffs occurring during transfers of care from one provider to another or one setting to another. I have a secondary interest in medical education and have conducted several studies at the intersection of patient safety and medical education.
- Horwitz LI, Meredith T, Schuur JD, Shah NR, Kulkarni RG, Jenq GY. Dropping the baton: a qualitative analysis of failures during the transition from emergency department to inpatient care. Ann Emerg Med. 2009;53:701-710 e704.
- Horwitz LI, Moin T, Krumholz HM, Wang L, Bradley EH. What are covering doctors told about their patients? Analysis of sign-out among internal medicine house staff. Qual Saf Health Care. 2009;18:248-255.
- Horwitz LI, Moin T, Krumholz HM, Wang L, Bradley EH. Consequences of inadequate sign-out for patient care. Arch Intern Med. 2008;168:1755-1760.
- Horwitz LI, Moin T, Green ML. Development and implementation of an oral sign-out skills curriculum. J Gen Intern Med. 2007;22:1470-1474.
- Horwitz LI, Kosiborod M, Lin Z, Krumholz HM. Changes in outcomes for internal medicine inpatients after work-hour regulations. Ann Intern Med. 2007;147:97-103.
- Horwitz LI, Krumholz HM, Green ML, Huot SJ. Transfers of patient care between house staff on internal medicine wards: a national survey. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166:1173-1177.