Africa, Eastern; Chronic Disease; Quality of Health Care; Uganda; Global Health; Teaching Rounds
Implementation research focusing on healthcare worker knowledge and training regarding non-communicable diseases in low-income countries and the integration of services for non-communicable diseases into the primary health systems of low-income countries. Additional areas of interest include: quality and patient safety and bedside rounding.
- South Med J. 2016 May;109(5):313-7. doi: 10.14423/SMJ.0000000000000458.
- Afr Health Sci. 2015 Dec;15(4):1189-99. doi: 10.4314/ahs.v15i4.18.
- Siddharthan T, Ramaiya K, Yonga G, Mutungi G, Rabin TL, List JM, Kishore SP, Schwartz JI. Noncommunicable diseases in East Africa: Assessing the gaps in care and identifying opportunities for improvement. Health Affairs, 34, no.9 (2015):1506-1513. doi:10.1377/hlthaff.2015.0382.
- Schwartz JI, Dunkle A, Akiteng AR, Birabwa-Male D, Kagimu R, Mondo CK, Mutungi G, Rabin TL, Skonieczny M, Sykes J, Mayanja-Kizza, H. Towards reframing health service delivery in Uganda: The Uganda Initiative for Integrated Management of Non-Communicable Diseases (UINCD). Glob Health Action. 2015,8:26537.
- Mohanan M, Vera-Hernández M, Das V, Giardili S, Goldhaber-Fiebert JD, Rabin TL, Raj SS, Schwartz JI, Seth A. The Know-Do Gap in Quality of Care for Childhood Diarrhea and Pneumonia in India. JAMA Pediatr.2015 Apr;169(4):349-57. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2014.3445
- Schwartz JI, Guwatudde D, Nugent R, Mondo CK. Looking at non-communicable diseases in Uganda through a local lens: An analysis using locally derived data. Globalization and Health. 2014;10:77. doi:10.1186/s12992-014-0077-5.
- Musoke C, Ssendikadiwa C, Babua C, Schwartz JI. Severe falciparum malaria associated with massive pulmonary embolism. Annals of African Medicine. 2014;13:47-9.
- Schwartz JI, Rabin TL, Doolittle B. Integrated Care of Refugees in a Primary Care Residency Clinic. Journal of Graduate Medical Education: Dec 2012;4(4):551-551.
- Rabin TL and Schwartz JI. The Global Health Chief Resident: modifying an established role, strengthening a collaboration. Med Educ. 2012 Nov;46(11):1128-9. PMID:23078719.