David A. Fiellin MD
Professor of Medicine (General Medicine), of Faculty of Arts and Sciences and of Public Health (Health Policy); Professor, Investigative Medicine
Substance abuse treatment in primary care; Emergency department and HIV specialty settings opioid agonist treatment with buprenorphine; Pharmacologic treatment of alcohol
Dr. Fiellin has focused his scholarly work on the interface between primary care and substance abuse. He conducts research on the transfer of treatment strategies, including opioid agonist treatment with buprenorphine and alcohol pharmacotherapies, from specialized settings to office-based, primary care, emergency department and HIV specialty settings.
- Becker WC, Fiellin DA. Federal plan for prescriber education on opioids misses opportunities. Ann Intern Med. 2012 Aug 7;157(3):205-6.
- Fiellin DA, Weiss L, Botsko M, Egan JE, Altice FL, Bazerman LB, Chaudhry A, Cunningham CO, Gourevitch MN, Lum PJ, Sullivan LE, Schottenfeld RS, O'Connor PG; BHIVES Collaborative. Drug treatment outcomes among HIV-infected opioid-dependent patients receiving buprenorphine/naloxone.
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2011 Mar;56 Suppl 1:S33-8.
- Becker WC, Tobin DG, Fiellin DA. Nonmedical use of opioid analgesics obtained directly from physicians: prevalence and correlates. Arch Intern Med. 2011 Jun 13;171(11):1034-6.
- Sullivan LE, Fiellin DA. Buprenorphine for opioid dependent patients in office practice. Annals of Internal Medicine 2008148-662-670.
- Sullivan LE, Moore BA, Chawarski MC, Pantalon MV, Barry DT, O’Connor PG, Schottenfeld RS, Fiellin DA. Buprenorphine/naloxone treatment in primary care is associated with decreased HIV risk behaviors. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 200835:87-92.
- Becker WC, Sullivan LE, Tetrault JM, Desai RA, Fiellin DA. Non-medical use, abuse and dependence on prescription opioids among U.S. adults: Psychiatric, medical and substance use correlates. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 200894 (1-3):38-47.
- Barry DT, Moore BA, Pantalon MV, Chawarski MC, Sullivan LE, O’Connor PG, Schottenfeld RS, Fiellin DA. Patient satisfaction with primary care office-based buprenorphine/naloxone treatment. Journal of General Internal Medicine 200722(2)242-256.
- Martell BA, O’Connor PG, Kerns RD, Becker WC, Morales KH, Kosten TR, Fiellin DA. Systematic Review: Opioid treatment for chronic back pain: prevalence, efficacy, and association with addiction. Annals of Internal Medicine 2007146:116-127.