Departments & Organizations
Dr. Zhang has worked as physical organic chemist for near twenty years in various academia, industrial and national research laboratories and authored /co-authored over 70 scientific publications before joined Yale University. In the past decade, he mainly employed his chemistry knowledge and hands-on experience to develop various practical methods to characterize and quantitate different metabolites in plasma/tissue samples using different analytical techniques such as LC/MS/MS, GC/MS, NMR, Cobas, etc.
Selected publications (total over 100 publications):
1. R. J. Perry, D. Zhang, X.-M. Zhang, J. L. Boyer, and G. I. Shulman, “Controlled-release mitochondrial protonophore reverses diabetes and protonophore reverses diabetes and steatohepatitis in rats”, Science, 2015, 347(6227), pp1253-1256.
2. Perry, R.J., Camporez, J.-P.G., Kursawe, R., Titchenell, P.M., Zhang, D., Perry, C.J., Jurczak, M.J., Abudukadier, A., Han, M.S., Zhang, X.-M., Ruan, H.-B., Yang, X., Caprio, S., Kaech, S.M., Sul, H.S., Birnbaum, M.J., Davis, R.J., Cline, G.W., Petersen, K.F., Shulman, G.I., “Hepatic acetyl CoA links adipose tissue inflammation to hepatic insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes”, Cell, 2015, 160(4), 745-758.
3. Perry RJ, Borders CB, Cline GW, Zhang XM, Alves TC, Petersen KF, Rothman DL, Kibbey RG,Shulman GI., “Propionate Increases Hepatic Pyruvate Cycling and Anaplerosis and Alters Mitochondrial Metabolism”, J Biol Chem. 2016, 291(23):12161-70.
4. A. Madiraju, D. M. Erion, Y. Rahimi, X.-M. Zhang, D. Braddock, R. A. Albright, B. J. Prigaro, J. L. Wood, S. Bhanot, G. W. Cline, V. T. Samuel, R. G. Kibbey, G. I. Shulman, “Metformin suppresses hepatic gluconeogenesis via inhibition of mitochondrial glycerophosphate dehydrogenase and modulation of the hepatocellular redox state”, Nature, 2014, 510(7506), pp542-546.
5. R. J. Perry, X. M. Zhang, D. Zhang, N. Kumashiro, J. P. Camporez, G. Cline, D. L. Rothman, G. I. Shulman, Mechanism for the anti-diabetic effect of leptin. Nature medicine, 2014, 20, 759-763.
6. Zhang, X.-M.; Patel, A.B.; de Graaf, R.A.; Behar, K.L., Determination of liposomal encapsulation efficiency using proton NMR spectroscopy,. Chem. Phys. Lipid, 2004, 127, 113-120.
7. Zhang, X.-M. "Radical Substituent Effects of Fluorine and Trifluoromethyl Groups", J. Org. Chem. 1998, 63, 3590.
8. “Olefinic Ozonation Electron Transfer Mechanisms”, Zhang, X.-M.; Zhu, Q. J. Org. Chem. 1997, 62, 5934-5938.
9. X.-M. Zhang, F.G. Bordwell, "Bond Dissociation Energies of the Acidic H-A Bonds in HA+. Radical Cations and in HA-. Radical Anions in DMSO Solution", J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1994, 116(3), 904-908.
10. X.-M. Zhang, F.G. Bordwell,"Equilibrium Acidities and Homolytic Bond Dissociation Energies of the Acidic C-H Bonds in P-Substituted Triphenylphosphonium Cations", J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1994, 116(3), 968-972.
11. X.-M. Zhang, D.-L. Yang, Y.-C. Liu, " Effects of Electron Acceptors and Radical Scavengers on Non-chain Radical Nucleophilic Substitution Reactions", J. Org. Chem. 1993, 58, 224-227.
12. F.G. Bordwell, X.-M. Zhang," From Equilibrium Acidities to Radical Stabilization Energies", Acc. Chem. Res. 1993, 26(9), 510-517.
Education & Training
|PhD||Lanzhou University (1989)|
|MSc||Lanzhou University (1987)|