Prepare for each case conference in advance by reading the case(s) and any background reading that you feel is necessary to help you create a differential diagnosis and develop a treatment plan. For each case, the authors list “highly recommended” literature, copies of which may be given to you at the beginning of the clerkship. It is expected that you will read the highly recommended literature.
Each conference will be led by a faculty member who is familiar with the subject area, but not necessarily expert. The format is a group discussion.
|Case #||Topic||Session Coordinator|
|1||Asthma||Geoffrey Chupp, Lauren Cohn|
|2||Infectious Diseases||Matthew Grant
|3||Abdominal Pain||Louis Chaptini|
|4||Diabetes||Walter Kernan, Silvio Inzucchi|
|6||Low Back Pain||Walter Kernan, Leo Cooney|
Asthma Case Conference
Abdominal Pain Case Conference
- Millham, F. H. "Acute Abdominal Pain" in Sleisenger and Fordtrand's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease. 9th Edition.
- McColl H Pylori Review NEJM 2010
- ACP Irritable Bowel Review 2007
Infectious Diseases Case Conference
- Albert RH, Diagnosis and treatment of acute bronchitis. Am. Fam. Physician. 2010;82:1345-1350
- Wunderink RG, Waterer GW. Community-acquired pneumonia. N. Engl. J. Med. 2014;370:543-551
- Kimberlin DW, Rouse DJ. Genital herpes. N. Engl. J. Med. 2004;350:1970-1977
Low Back Pain Case Conference
- Deyo RA, Weinstein JN. Low Back Pain. NEJM 2001;344:363-370.
- Speed C, Low Back Pain, BMJ 2004;328;1119-1121.
- Chou R, Huffman LH, Nonpharmacologic Therapies for Acute and Chronic Low Back Pain. Ann Intern Med. 2007;147:492-504.
Hypertension Case Conference
- Krause T, Lovibond K, Caulfield M, McCormack T, Williams B. Management of hypertension: summary of NICE guidance. BMJ 2011;343:d4891
- Moser M. Setaro. JF. Resistant of difficult-to-control hypertension. N England J Med 2006; 355:385-392.
- Sacks FM, Campos H. Dietary Therapy in Hypertension. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:2102-2112
- James, PA, et al. 2014 Evidence-Based Guideline for the Management of High Blood Pressure in Adults: Report From the Panel Members Appointed to the Eighth Joint National Committee (JNC 8). JAMA. 2014;311(5):507-520.
Diabetes Case Conference
- Executive Summary: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes - 2013
- Inzucchi S, Bergenstal R, Buse J, Diamant M, Ferrannini E, Nauck M, Peters A, Tsapas A, Wender R, Matthews D. Management of Hyperglycemia in Type 2 Diabetes: A Patient-Centered Approach. Diabetes Care, Volume 32, Number 1, January 2009.