Autoimmune Diseases; Hepatitis; Liver
Public Health Interests
I am evaluating the role of an inflammatory protein called MIF in autoimmune hepatitis and its ability to be a predictor of disease severity, response to therapy, and a predictor of disease relapse.
I am evaluating alternative therapies for the treatment of Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis.
Extensive Research Description
I am investigating the role of macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) in autoimmune hepatitis. Active studies involve serial measurement of serum MIF and its soluble receptor (CD74) in the blood of patients with autoimmune hepatitis, to evaluate if these proteins can serve as biomarkers of disease activity.
I am evaluating cellular mechanisms of the release of the CD74 protein and its neutralizing activity on the cytokine MIF.
I am investigating the role of MIF in the pathophysiology of autoimmune hepatitis in animal models of disease.
I am evaluating alternative therapies for Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC) including all-trans retinoic acid and fenofibrate.
A study of the role of macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) in autoimmune hepatitis, through clinical and translational investigations.
A study of the role of all-trans retinoic acid (ATRA) for the treatment of Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC), in collaboration with Dr. James Boyer.
- Assis DN, Leng L, Du X, Zhang CK, Grieb G, Merk M, Garcia AB, McCrann C, Chapiro J, Meinhardt A, Mizue Y, Nikolic-Paterson DJ, Bernhagen J, Kaplan KM, Zhao H, Boyer JL, Bucala R. Hepatology. 2014;59:580-91.
- Assis DN, Takahashi H, Leng L, Zeniya M, Boyer JL, Bucala R. Dig Dis Sci. 2016 Dec;61(12):3506-3512.
- Assis DN, Abdelghany O, Cai SY, Gossard AA, Eaton JE, Keach JC, Deng Y, Setchell KD, Ciarleglio M, Lindor KD, Boyer JL.
- Assis DN, Freedman SD. Clin Chest Med. 2016 Mar;37(1):109-18.
- Assis DN, Levy C. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2015 Jun;41(11):1214-6
- Ghonem NS, Assis DN, Boyer JL. Hepatology. 2015 Aug;62(2):635-43.