Departments & Organizations
Stem Cell Center, Yale: Tissue Specific Stem Cells
Yibing Qyang obtained his B.S. degree from the Department of Biochemistry, Nanjing University, China. He subsequently pursued graduate studies at the Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences. Then, he joined the Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. After receiving his M.S. degree from Dr. Michele Sawadogo’s laboratory, and Ph.D. degree from Dr. Stevan Marcus’, he spent the next year conducting postdoctoral research at Baylor College of Medicine, where he studied myeloproliferative diseases with a mouse model of Presenilin deficiency. He next joined Dr. Kenneth R. Chien's laboratory at the University of California, San Diego and Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School and Harvard Stem Cell Institute. He has been studying the renewal and differentiation of cardiovascular progenitor cells, marked by Isl1, a LIM-Homeodomain transcription factor. In October, 2008, Yibing Qyang became a principal investigator at Yale Cardiovascular Research Institute and Section of Cardiology, Dept. of Internal Medicine, and Yale Stem Cell Center. Since 2010, he has become the Director of Yale Stem Cell Research Forum.
Currently, the Qyang laboratory has the following members:
1. Yongming Ren, Ph.D. (Associate Research Scientist; Yale entry level faculty position), graduated from Tsinghua University, China, in 2007. Dr. Ren has been awarded a Connecticut Stem Cell grant ($200,000; 11/1/2012 – 10/30/2014).
2. Oscar Bartulos-Encinas, Ph.D. (Associate Research Scientist; Yale entry level faculty position), graduated from University of Madrid, Spain, in 2009. Dr. Bartulos has been awarded a Connecticut Stem Cell grant ($200,000; 11/1/2013 – 10/30/2015).
3. Zhengxin Jiang, Ph.D. (Postdoc), graduated from Baylor College of Medicine, Hoston, USA in 2013.
4. Biraja Dash, Ph.D. (Postdoc), graduated from Network of Excellence in Functional Biomaterials, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland in 2013.
5. Ting Yi, Ph.D. (Postdoc), graduated from University of Vermont, USA in 2013.
6. Carol Suh, graduate student for Ph.D. degree. She obtained her B.S. from Harvard University in 2011.
7. Amogh Sivarapatna, graduate student for Ph.D. degree. He obtained his B.S. from University of Virginia in 2011.
8. Hongwei Wu, M.D., visiting student for Ph.D. degree, from The Third Xiangya Hospital of Central South University.
Previous Qyang lab members:
1. Peter John Amos, Ph.D., previous postdoc (2010-2013), now a scientist at University of Washington Seattle, graduated from University of Virginia in 2009. Dr. Amos was awarded a Connecticut Stem Cell grant ($200,000; 9/1/2011 – 6/30/2013).
2. Min Young Lee, D.V.M, Ph.D., previous postdoc (2009-2012), now Assistant Professor in Department of Molecular Physiology, College of Pharmacy, Kyungpook National University , South Korea.
3. Esra Cagavi Bozkulak, Ph.D., previous postdoc (2010-2012), now Assistant Professor in Gebze Institute of Technology, Faculty of Science, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, K:141, 41400, Gebze-Kocaeli, Turkey
4. Xin Ge, Ph.D. (Postdoc), graduated from University of Minnesota, Twin Cities in 2009. Dr. Ge was awarded a Brown-Coxe postdoctoral fellowship ($50,000; 7/1/2011 – 6/31/2012). Dr. Ge has accepted an Assistant Professor position in Shanghai Jiaotong Unversity, China.
5. Caroline Greenberg, Summer Intern 2011, Medical Student in YaleSchool of Medicine.
6. Andre Alcon, Summer Intern 2011, Medical Student in Yale School of Medicine.
7. Jessica Tuan, Master Student at Yale Biomedical Engineering (2011-2012), now a medical student at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science.
8. Grant Senyei, Yale Undergraduate student (2008-2010), now a medical student at Northwestern University School of Medicine
9. Karen Xiao, Summer Intern 2012, undergraduate student at GeorgetownUniversity.
10. Zelun Wang, undergraduate summer student 2013 from Rice University.
Education & Training
|PhD||University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center (2002)|
|MS||University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center (1999)|
Honors & Recognition
American Heart Association Scientist Development AwardAHA (2009)
NIH Independent Scientist AwardNIH (2010)
Connecticut Stem Cell Program Established Investigator AwardConnecticut State Government (2011)
Connecticut Stem Cell Program Early Stage Investigator AwardConnecticut State Government (2009)
YCCI ScholarYale Center for Clinical Investigation (2010)
Editorial board Journal of Experimental and Clinical Cardiology (2011 - 2016)
AHA CVD2 Study Section AHA (2011 - 2016)
Regular Member The International Society for Stem Cell Research Member (ISSCR) (2007)
Yale stem cell research forum Yale university (2010)