Albert John Sinusas MD
Professor of Medicine (Cardiology) and of Diagnostic Radiology; Director, Translational Research Imaging Center; Director, Cardiovascular Imaging
Advanced cardiovascular and molecular imaging
My research is directed at development of noninvasive imaging approaches for the assessment of myocardial viability, angiogenesis, and post–infarction remodeling. This translational research employs the 3–D modalities of SPECT, PET, echocardiography and MR imaging for assessment of regional myocardial perfusion, function and metabolism, in an animal physiology laboratory, employing large and small animal models of myocardial ischemia and infarction, and peripheral arterial disease. My laboratory is currently focused on targeted molecular imaging, developing non–invasive nuclear imaging strategies for identifying the hypoxic stimulus for angiogenesis, and targeted imaging of selected integrins previously established to modulate the angiogenic process, and evaluation of the role of matrix metalloproteinases on post–infarction remodeling. The investigation of these biological processes involves, in vitro cellular and whole heart preparations, as well as ex vivo and in vivo imaging in both small and large animal models, using dedicated high–resolution and real–time 3D ultrasound imaging, hybrid SPECT–CT and PET–CT imaging, cardiac MR imaging, and fluorescent imaging systems.
- Zhang Z, Friedman D, Dione DP, Lin BA, Duncan JS, Sinusas AJ, Sampath S. Assessment of left ventricular 2D flow pathlines during early diastole using spatial modulation of magnetization with polarity alternating velocity encoding: A study in normal volunteers and canine animals with myocardial infarction. Magn Reson Med. 2012 Oct 8. doi: 10.1002/mrm.24517. PMID: 23044637
- Liu YH, Sahul Z, Weyman CA, Dione DP, Dobrucki WL, Mekkaoui C, Brennan MP, Ryder WJ, Sinusas AJ. Accuracy and Reproducibility of Absolute Quantification of Myocardial Focal Tracer Uptake from Molecularly Targeted SPECT/CT: A Canine Validation. J Nucl Med. 52(3):453-60, 2011 PMID: 21321271
- Criscione JM, Dobrucki LW, Zhuang ZW, Papademetris X, Simons M, Sinusas AJ, Fahmy TM. Development and application of a multimodal contrast agent for SPECT/CT hybrid imaging. Bioconjug Chem. 2011 Sep 21;22(9):1748-92. PMID: 21851119.
- Sahul ZH, Mukherjee R, Song J, McAteer J, Stroud RE, Dione DP, Staib L, Papademetris X, Dobrucki LW, Duncan JS, Spinale FG, Sinusas AJ. Targeted imaging of the spatial and temporal variation of matrix metalloproteinase activity in a porcine model of postinfarct remodeling: relationship to myocardial dysfunction. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2011 Jul;4(4):381-91. PMID: 21505092
- Spinale FG, Mukherjee R, Zavadzkas JA, Koval CN, Bouges S, Stroud RE, Dobrucki LW, Sinusas AJ. Cardiac restricted overexpression of membrane type-1 matrix metalloproteinases causes adverse myocardial remodeling following myocardial infarction. J Biol Chem 285:30316-27, 2010 PMID: 20643648
- Dobrucki LW, Dione DP, Kalinowski L, Dione D, Mendizabal M, Yu J, Papademetris X, Sessa WC, Sinusas AJ. Serial noninvasive targeted imaging of peripheral angiogenesis: Validation and application of a semiautomated quantitative approach. J Nucl Med 50:1356-1363, 2009