Cardiology; Cardiovascular System; Echocardiography; Magnetic Resonance Imaging; Tomography, Emission-Computed, Single-Photon; Positron-Emission Tomography; Myocardial Perfusion Imaging; Translational Medical Research
My research is directed at development of noninvasive imaging approaches for the assessment of myocardial viability, angiogenesis, and post–infarction remodeling. This translational research employs the 3–D modalities of SPECT, PET, echocardiography and MR imaging for assessment of regional myocardial perfusion, function and metabolism, in an animal physiology laboratory, employing large and small animal models of myocardial ischemia and infarction, and peripheral arterial disease. My laboratory is currently focused on targeted molecular imaging, developing non–invasive nuclear imaging strategies for identifying the hypoxic stimulus for angiogenesis, and targeted imaging of selected integrins previously established to modulate the angiogenic process, and evaluation of the role of matrix metalloproteinases on post–infarction remodeling. The investigation of these biological processes involves, in vitro cellular and whole heart preparations, as well as ex vivo and in vivo imaging in both small and large animal models, using dedicated high–resolution and real–time 3D ultrasound imaging, hybrid SPECT–CT and PET–CT imaging, cardiac MR imaging, and fluorescent imaging systems.
Specialized Terms: Advanced cardiovascular and molecular imaging
- Stacy MR, Naito Y, Maxfield MW, Kurobe H, Tara S, Chan C, Rocco KA, Shinoka T, Sinusas AJ, Breuer CK. Targeted Imaging of Matrix Metalloproteinase Activity in the Evaluation of Remodeling Tissue-Engineered Vascular Grafts Implanted in a Growing Lamb Model. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014 May 21 [Epub ahead of press]. doi:10.1016/j.jtcvs.2014.05.037.
- Sinusas AJ, Lazewatsky J, Brunetti J, Heller G, Srivastava A, Liu YH, Sparks R, Puretskiy A, Lin SF, Crane P, Carson RE, Lee LV. Biodistribution & Radiation Dosimetry of LMI1195: First-in-Human Study of a Novel 18F-Labeled Tracer for Imaging Myocardial Innervation. J Nucl Med. 55:1445-51, 2014. PMID: 24994931
- Stacy MR, Yu DY, Maxfield MW, Jaba IM, Jozwik BP, Zhuang ZW, Lin BA, Hawley CL, Caracciolo CM, Pal P, Tirziu D, Sampath S, Sinusas AJ. Multimodality Imaging Approach for Serial Assessment of Regional Changes in Lower Extremity Arteriogenesis and Tissue Perfusion in a Porcine Model of Peripheral Arterial Disease. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2014 Jan 1;7(1):92-9 PMID: 24170237
- Li S, Sinusas AJ, Dobrucki LW, Liu YH. New Approach to Quantification of Molecularly Targeted Radiotracer Uptake from Hybrid Cardiac SPECT/CT: Methodology and Validation. J Nucl Med. 2013 Dec;54(12):2175-81. PMID: 24221992
- Huang X, Dione DP, Compas CB, Papademetris X, Lin BA, Bregasi A, Sinusas AJ, Staib LH, Duncan JS. Contour tracking in echocardiographic sequences via sparse representation and dictionary learning. Med Image Anal. 2013 Nov 6;18(2):253-271. PMID: 24292554
- Zhang Z, Friedman D, Dione DP, Lin BA, Duncan JS, Sinusas AJ, Sampath S. Assessment of left ventricular 2D flow pathlines during early diastole using spatial modulation of magnetization with polarity alternating velocity encoding: A study in normal volunteers and canine animals with myocardial infarction. Magn Reson Med. 2012 Oct 8. doi: 10.1002/mrm.24517. PMID: 23044637
- Liu YH, Sahul Z, Weyman CA, Dione DP, Dobrucki WL, Mekkaoui C, Brennan MP, Ryder WJ, Sinusas AJ. Accuracy and Reproducibility of Absolute Quantification of Myocardial Focal Tracer Uptake from Molecularly Targeted SPECT/CT: A Canine Validation. J Nucl Med. 52(3):453-60, 2011 PMID: 21321271
- Criscione JM, Dobrucki LW, Zhuang ZW, Papademetris X, Simons M, Sinusas AJ, Fahmy TM. Development and application of a multimodal contrast agent for SPECT/CT hybrid imaging. Bioconjug Chem. 2011 Sep 21;22(9):1748-92. PMID: 21851119.
- Sahul ZH, Mukherjee R, Song J, McAteer J, Stroud RE, Dione DP, Staib L, Papademetris X, Dobrucki LW, Duncan JS, Spinale FG, Sinusas AJ. Targeted imaging of the spatial and temporal variation of matrix metalloproteinase activity in a porcine model of postinfarct remodeling: relationship to myocardial dysfunction. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2011 Jul;4(4):381-91. PMID: 21505092