Financial Support for Clinical Clerkships
Travel awards and named fellowships are available to offset the cost of clinical electives abroad. OIMSE has additional limited funds, donated by alumni and foundations, directed toward supporting international clinical electives in approved sites. As a larger number of the educational goals and objectives are met in developing world settings, funding priorities for distribution of these funds will favor clinical electives in developing world settings. Generally OIMSE provides funds for:
- Clinical electives in developing world sites to offset the cost of airfare, travel, vaccinations and medication expenses related to infectious disease prophylaxis, and $50 per week toward living expenses.
- Clinical electives in developed world sites, currently $500 towards the cost of the trip.
- When a student receives a named travel award, the travel award stipend will be subtracted from the above calculation.
- Students receiving travel awards must write a note describing the impact of their clinical elective and thanking the donor for their contribution to the fund.
- If OIMSE is not able to fund all requests for travel in a given year, priority will be given to developing-world over developed-world electives.
- Students are responsible for all other expenses related to international clinical electives.