- What paperwork do I need for my application?
Please see Required Documents for Visiting Student Elective Program.collapse
- May I re-apply if I'm not accepted?
- How long will it take to process my application?
About two months, but you should apply at least six months in advance of the date you hope to start the elective.collapse
- What is the deadline for applying?
There is no deadline for applications. Your application should arrive at least six months before you plan to start your clinical elective.collapse
- Where should I send my application?
Mail it to:collapse
Office of International Medical Student Education
Yale School of Medicine
ES Harkness Hall
367 Cedar St.
New Haven, CT 06510
- May I email or fax an application to you?
Because we require your school seal on the application, we need you to mail your application to the office. We are not able to accept e-mailed or faxed applications.collapse
- Do you require a TOEFL score? Even if my school's language of instruction is English?
- What is your TOEFL code?
The School of Medicine does not have a TOEFL code. Please include a copy of your TOEFL scores with the rest of the documents in your application.collapse
- I submitted by application and now I see that your new website requests additional documents - do I have to resubmit my old application?
No, you do not need to resubmit your application, we will process your old application.collapse
- As an international student, what type of Visa do I need?
Visiting international students need B-1 Visa status. Please read this document: United States Visa Information.collapse
- Am I eligible if I am a U.S. resident or U.S. citizen, attending medical school outside of the U.S.?
Unfortunately, you are not eligible if you are a U.S. resident or citizen, attending medical school outside of the U.S. (Please note: Puerto Rico is part of the U.S.)collapse
- Can you tell me what electives have seats available?
Unfortunately, the roster is always changing, so we cannot determine what seats are available. We encourage you to apply for the electives you plan to make a career in.collapse
Tuition & Fees
- Is there an application fee?
- What is the total cost, including housing?
Housing costs $1100 for each month. Housing and tuition for each four-week elective is $4,200.collapse
- What forms of payment do you accept?
By Credit Card or bank check made out in U.S. dollars to Yale University.collapse
- May I repeat an elective during the next session if I feel that I need more time to master the material?
No. Students may only take two different electives in any 8-week period.collapse
- Can you tell me which electives are available for a particular month?
Unfortunately, it is difficult to give this information, as elective schedules can change on a daily and weekly basis.collapse
- May I apply for a four-week elective that does not start on the date of the Yale rotation schedule?
No. Visiting students must apply for clinical electives in accordance with the Yale rotation schedule.collapse
- Can I enroll to complete my core clerkship requirement?
No, these are clinical electives and do not satisfy core clerkship requirements.collapse
- May I move into my housing before my elective starts?
Unfortunately we cannot allow this. We need time to clean and prepare the apartment for you.collapse
- What should I bring to orientation?
Please bring your passport along with any requested paperwork or required documentation.collapse
- What is the dress code on the wards?
The dress code on the wards is professional attire. Men should wear button-down shirts and ties, and women should wear dress pants or skirt. Students can bring a white coat to wear on the wards or purchase a white coat at a nearby bookstore.collapse
- What is the process for moving out at the end of my elective?
Students must leave the dorms before 4 PM on Friday the last day of the clinical rotation or no later than 11 AM on the Saturday morning following. We ask that students return dormitory room keys as well as make sure all belongings (including trash) are cleared from the rooms prior to departure.collapse