Clinical Trials as Topic; Data Collection; Diabetes Mellitus; Emergency Medicine; Epidemiology; Nutritional and Metabolic Diseases; Obesity; Statistics as Topic
A major focus of my research career has centered on the design, analysis and coordination of clinical trials. Over the past ten years I have overseen data coordinating and biostatistical efforts for numerous studies including trials evaluating a computer-assisted screening and brief intervention to reduce alcohol use in Latino drinkers, determining the efficacy of a novel integrated tobacco order set embedded within the EMR to promote sustained smoking abstinence in hospitalized smokers, and examining pharmaceutical and behavioral interventions in children and adults with autism spectrum and Tourette disorders through the Research Unit on Pediatric Psychopharmacology (RUPP) Autism network and the Behavioral Sciences Consortium for Tourette Syndrome. I served as the PI of the data coordinating center for the RUPP Autism Network study of Guanfacine for the treatment of hyperactivity. I am currently the Director of the Data Coordinating Center for the multicenter Autism Biomarkers for Clinical Trials (ABC-CT) study. I'm also a senior statistician for the PCORI funded Strategies to Reduce Injuries and Develop confidence in Elders (STRIDE) trial, a cluster randomized trial of 6000 participants from 80 primary care practices.
Extensive Research DescriptionMuch of my recent contributions have been in the area of Emergency Medicine. Collaborations include evaluating and testing a disability scale in older visitors to the ED, examining the efficacy of a bilingual computer-assisted screen and brief intervention for Latino unhealthy drinkers, determining prognostic factors for patients in ED chest pain observation, describing the diagnostic accuracy of point-of-care ultrasound and the evaluation of a network analytic model for adherence and abstinence. Additionally, I've studied the behavioral factors involved with motor vehicle crashes. Through the NIDA funded Yale-Drug Abuse, Addiction, and HIV Research Scholars (Yale-DAHRS) I am actively engaged in the mentorship and training of junior clinician scientists with an emphasis on designing research studies that improve health outcomes of patients with and at risk for drug abuse, addiction, and HIV.
Another area of research concentration is the epidemiology and treatment of metabolic disorders such as obesity and diabetes. My dissertation focused on the effects of physical activity on body weight maintenance and diabetes in older individuals. More recent contributions have examined metabolic consequences of obesity in children and behavioral approaches to weight reduction. I've also studied mechanisms of insulin resistance in children and adults.
Trial design challenges when combining medication and parent training in children with pervasive developmental disorders.
Scahill L, Aman MG, McDougle CJ, Arnold LE, McCracken JT, Handen B, Johnson C, Dziura J, Butter E, Sukhodolsky D, Swiezy N, Mulick J (2009) Trial design challenges when combining medication and parent training in children with pervasive developmental disorders.
Effects of a weight management program on body composition and metabolic parameters in overweight children: a randomized controlled trial
Effects of a weight management program on body composition and metabolic parameters in overweight children: a randomized controlled trial. Savoye M, Shaw M, Dziura J, Tamborlane WV, Rose P, Guandalini C, Goldberg-Gell R, Burgert TS, Cali AM, Weiss R, Caprio S. JAMA. 2007 Jun 27;297(24):2697-704.
A chitinase-like protein in the lung and circulation of patients with severe asthma.
Chupp GL, Lee CG, Jarjour N, Shim YM, Holm CT, He S, Dziura JD, Reed J, Coyle AJ, Kiener P, Cullen M, Grandsaigne M, Dombret MC, Aubier M, Pretolani M, Elias JA. (2007) A chitinase-like protein in the lung and circulation of patients with severe asthma.
Wait-and-see prescription for the treatment of acute otitis media: a randomized controlled trial
Wait-and-see prescription for the treatment of acute otitis media: a randomized controlled trial. Spiro DM, Tay KY, Arnold DH, Dziura JD, Baker MD, Shapiro ED. JAMA. 2006 Sep 13;296(10):1235-41.
Obesity and the metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents
Obesity and the metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents. Weiss R, Dziura J, Burgert TS, Tamborlane WV, Taksali SE, Yeckel CW, Allen K, Lopes M, Savoye M, Morrison J, Sherwin RS, Caprio S. N Engl J Med. 2004 Jun 3;350(23):2362-74.
Can physical activity attenuate aging-related weight loss in older people? The Yale Health and Aging Study, 1982-1994
Can physical activity attenuate aging-related weight loss in older people? The Yale Health and Aging Study, 1982-1994. Dziura J, Mendes de Leon C, Kasl S, DiPietro L. Am J Epidemiol. 2004 Apr 15;159(8):759-67.
Mitochondrial dysfunction in the elderly: possible role in insulin resistance
Mitochondrial dysfunction in the elderly: possible role in insulin resistance. Petersen KF, Befroy D, Dufour S, Dziura J, Ariyan C, Rothman DL, DiPietro L, Cline GW, Shulman GI. Science. 2003 May 16;300(5622):1140-2.
Decompression and Fusion versus Laminectomy for Lumbar Spondylolisthesis.
Ghogawala Z, Dziura J, Butler WE, Dai F, Terrin N, Magge SN, Coumans JCE, Harrington JF, Amin-Hanjani S, Schwartz S, Sonntag VKH, Barker II FG, Benzel EC. N Engl J Med 2016;374:1424-34.
The design and implementation of a randomized controlled trial of a risk reduction and human immunodeficiency virus prevention videogame intervention in minority adolescents: PlayForward: Elm City Stories.
Fiellin LE, Kyriakides TC, Hieftje KD, Pendergrass TM, Duncan LR, Dziura JD, Sawyer BG, Fiellin DA.Clin Trials. 2016 Mar 24. pii: 1740774516637871. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:27013483
Extended-Release Guanfacine for Hyperactivity in Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Scahill L, McCracken JT, King BH, Rockhill C, Shah B, Politte L, Sanders R, Minjarez M, Cowen J, Mullett J, Page C, Ward D, Deng Y, Loo S, Dziura J, McDougle CJ; Am J Psychiatry. 2015 Dec;172(12):1197-206. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2015.15010055.
Effect of parent training vs parent education on behavioral problems in children with autism spectrum disorder: a randomized clinical trial.
Bearss K, Johnson C, Smith T, Lecavalier L, Swiezy N, Aman M, McAdam DB, Butter E, Stillitano C, Minshawi N, Sukhodolsky DG, Mruzek DW, Turner K, Neal T, Hallett V, Mulick JA, Green B, Handen B, Deng Y, Dziura J, Scahill L. JAMA. 2015 Apr 21;313(15):1524-33. PMID:25898050
Effects of fructose vs glucose on regional cerebral blood flow in brain regions involved with appetite and reward pathways.
Page KA, Chan O, Arora J, Belfort-Deaguiar R, Dzuira J, Roehmholdt B, Cline GW, Naik S, Sinha R, Constable RT, Sherwin RS. JAMA. 2013;309(1):63-70. doi: 10.1001/jama.2012.116975. PubMed PMID: 23280226.
. Teplizumab treatment may improve C-peptide responses in participants with type 1 diabetes after the new-onset period: a randomised controlled trial.
Herold KC, Gitelman SE, Willi SM, Gottlieb PA, Waldron-Lynch F, Devine L, Sherr J, Rosenthal SM, Adi S, Jalaludin MY, Michels AW, Dziura J, Bluestone JA. Diabetologia. 2013;56(2):391-400. doi: 10.1007/s00125-012-2753-4. PubMed PMID: 23086558; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3537871.
Strategies for dealing with missing data in clinical trials: from design to analysis.
Dziura JD, Post LA, Zhao Q, Fu Z, Peduzzi P. The Yale journal of biology and medicine. 2013;86(3):343-58. PubMed PMID: 24058309; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3767219.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Becker WC, Gordon K, Edelman EJ, Kerns RD, Crystal S, Dziura JD, Fiellin LE, Gordon AJ, Goulet JL, Justice AC, Fiellin DA: Erratum to: Trends in Any and High-Dose Opioid Analgesic Receipt Among Aging Patients With and Without HIV. AIDS Behav. 2017 Apr. PMID: 28188459
- Swenson KE, Dziura JD, Aydin A, Reynolds J, Wira CR 3rd: Evaluation of a novel 5-group classification system of sepsis by vasopressor use and initial serum lactate in the emergency department. Intern Emerg Med. 2017 Jan 28; 2017 Jan 28. PMID: 28132131
- Kaplowitz SA, Perlstadt H, Dziura JD, Post LA: Behavioral and Environmental Explanations of Elevated Blood Lead Levels in Immigrant Children and Children of Immigrants. J Immigr Minor Health. 2016 Oct. PMID: 26163335
- Fiellin LE, Kyriakides TC, Hieftje KD, Pendergrass TM, Duncan LR, Dziura JD, Sawyer BG, Fiellin DA: The design and implementation of a randomized controlled trial of a risk reduction and human immunodeficiency virus prevention videogame intervention in minority adolescents: PlayForward: Elm City Stories. Clin Trials. 2016 Aug; 2016 Mar 24. PMID: 27013483
- Van Name MA, Camp AW, Magenheimer EA, Li F, Dziura JD, Montosa A, Patel A, Tamborlane WV: Effective Translation of an Intensive Lifestyle Intervention for Hispanic Women With Prediabetes in a Community Health Center Setting. Diabetes Care. 2016 Apr; 2016 Feb 23. PMID: 26908915
- Becker WC, Gordon K, Jennifer Edelman E, Kerns RD, Crystal S, Dziura JD, Fiellin LE, Gordon AJ, Goulet JL, Justice AC, Fiellin DA: Trends in Any and High-Dose Opioid Analgesic Receipt Among Aging Patients With and Without HIV. AIDS Behav. 2016 Mar. PMID: 26384973
- Rabinowitz PM, Slizovskiy IB, Lamers V, Trufan SJ, Holford TR, Dziura JD, Peduzzi PN, Kane MJ, Reif JS, Weiss TR, Stowe MH: Proximity to natural gas wells and reported health status: results of a household survey in Washington County, Pennsylvania. Environ Health Perspect. 2015 Jan; 2014 Sep 10. PMID: 25204871
- Evans LV, Crimmins AC, Bonz JW, Gusberg RJ, Tsyrulnik A, Dziura JD, Dodge KL: A comprehensive, simulation-based approach to teaching clinical skills: the medical students' perspective. Yale J Biol Med. 2014 Dec; 2014 Dec 12. PMID: 25506290
- Jatlow PI, Agro A, Wu R, Nadim H, Toll BA, Ralevski E, Nogueira C, Shi J, Dziura JD, Petrakis IL, O'Malley SS: Ethyl glucuronide and ethyl sulfate assays in clinical trials, interpretation, and limitations: results of a dose ranging alcohol challenge study and 2 clinical trials. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2014 Jul; 2014 Apr 28. PMID: 24773137
- Butala NM, Johnson BK, Dziura JD, Reynolds JS, Balcezak TJ, Inzucchi SE, Horwitz LI: Decade-long trends in mortality among patients with and without diabetes mellitus at a major academic medical center. JAMA Intern Med. 2014 Jul. PMID: 24841330
- Safdar B, Bezek SK, Sinusas AJ, Russell RR, Klein MR, Dziura JD, D'Onofrio G: Elevated CK-MB with a normal troponin does not predict 30-day adverse cardiac events in emergency department chest pain observation unit patients. Crit Pathw Cardiol. 2014 Mar. PMID: 24526146
- Dziura JD, Post LA, Zhao Q, Fu Z, Peduzzi P: Strategies for dealing with missing data in clinical trials: from design to analysis. Yale J Biol Med. 2013 Sep; 2013 Sep 20. PMID: 24058309
- Fu J, Anderson CL, Dziura JD, Crowley MJ, Vaca FE: The impact of state level graduated driver licensing programs on rates of passenger restraint use and unlicensed driving in fatal crashes. Ann Adv Automot Med. 2013. PMID: 24406949
- Melnick ER, Szlezak CM, Bentley SK, Dziura JD, Kotlyar S, Post LA: CT overuse for mild traumatic brain injury. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2012 Nov. PMID: 23173394
- Milstone LM, Hu RH, Dziura JD, Zhou J: Impact of epidermal desquamation on tissue stores of iron. J Dermatol Sci. 2012 Jul; 2012 Apr 13. PMID: 22575277
- Sakharova OV, Lleva RR, Dziura JD, Spollett GR, Howell SK, Beisswenger PJ, Inzucchi SE: Effects on post-prandial glucose and AGE precursors from two initial insulin strategies in patients with type 2 diabetes uncontrolled by oral agents. J Diabetes Complications. 2012 Jul-Aug; 2012 Apr 26. PMID: 22541894
- Fu J, Anderson CL, Dziura JD, Crowley MJ, Vaca FE: Young unlicensed drivers and passenger safety restraint use in u.s. Fatal crashes: concern for risk spillover effect? Ann Adv Automot Med. 2012. PMID: 23169115
- Swan KL, Dziura JD, Steil GM, Voskanyan GR, Sikes KA, Steffen AT, Martin ML, Tamborlane WV, Weinzimer SA: Effect of age of infusion site and type of rapid-acting analog on pharmacodynamic parameters of insulin boluses in youth with type 1 diabetes receiving insulin pump therapy. Diabetes Care. 2009 Feb; 2008 Nov 18. PMID: 19017777
- Swan KL, Weinzimer SA, Dziura JD, Steil GM, Voskanyan GR, Steffen AT, Martin ML, Tamborlane WV: Effect of puberty on the pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic properties of insulin pump therapy in youth with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2008 Jan; 2007 Oct 1. PMID: 17909083
- Chupp GL, Lee CG, Jarjour N, Shim YM, Holm CT, He S, Dziura JD, Reed J, Coyle AJ, Kiener P, Cullen M, Grandsaigne M, Dombret MC, Aubier M, Pretolani M, Elias JA: A chitinase-like protein in the lung and circulation of patients with severe asthma. N Engl J Med. 2007 Nov 15. PMID: 18003958
- Niccolai LM, Ogden LG, Muehlenbein CE, Dziura JD, Vázquez M, Shapiro ED: Methodological issues in design and analysis of a matched case-control study of a vaccine's effectiveness. J Clin Epidemiol. 2007 Nov; 2007 Jun 7. PMID: 17938054
- Ditillo MF, Dziura JD, Rabinovici R: Is it safe to delay appendectomy in adults with acute appendicitis? Ann Surg. 2006 Nov. PMID: 17060754
- Spiro DM, Tay KY, Arnold DH, Dziura JD, Baker MD, Shapiro ED: Wait-and-see prescription for the treatment of acute otitis media: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2006 Sep 13. PMID: 16968847
- Delaney JW, Moltedo JM, Dziura JD, Kopf GS, Snyder CS: Early postoperative arrhythmias after pediatric cardiac surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2006 Jun. PMID: 16733160
- Goldberg PA, Weiss R, McCrimmon RJ, Hintz EV, Dziura JD, Sherwin RS: Antecedent hypercortisolemia is not primarily responsible for generating hypoglycemia-associated autonomic failure. Diabetes. 2006 Apr. PMID: 16567537
- Proctor DD, Henderson KJ, Dziura JD, Longacre AV, White RI Jr: Enteroscopic evaluation of the gastrointestinal tract in symptomatic patients with hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2005 Feb. PMID: 15681905
- Chen L, Hsiao AL, Moore CL, Dziura JD, Santucci KA: Utility of bedside bladder ultrasound before urethral catheterization in young children. Pediatrics. 2005 Jan. PMID: 15629989
- Goldberg PA, Siegel MD, Russell RR, Sherwin RS, Halickman JI, Cooper DA, Dziura JD, Inzucchi SE: Experience with the continuous glucose monitoring system in a medical intensive care unit. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2004 Jun. PMID: 15198837
- Goldberg PA, Siegel MD, Sherwin RS, Halickman JI, Lee M, Bailey VA, Lee SL, Dziura JD, Inzucchi SE: Implementation of a safe and effective insulin infusion protocol in a medical intensive care unit. Diabetes Care. 2004 Feb. PMID: 14747229