Short term research stipends are awarded in the amount of $1948/ month. The funding for short-term research is competitive, and students must apply for a minimum of four weeks and a maximum of twelve weeks in any given period. Students must apply prior to the start of their research. No electives, clerkships or vacations may be taken during the research period you are applying for. Students will not be reimbursed for research that was done prior to an application period which was not pre-approved by the Office of Student Research.
Applications for short term research fellowships are available electronically for download in the side column or as hard copy in the M.D. and M.D./Ph.D. Student Work Area (312 ESH) next to the Office of Student Research (310 ESH).
Please note that after the approval and signature of the faculty sponsor and department chair, the student is responsible for getting the short term funding application to the Office of Student Research by the deadline.
Listed below are links for additional sources of funding for summer and short term research. It is important that you read the requirements carefully for each fellowship, as they have different eligibility requirements and deadlines.
- Medical Student Training in Aging Research (MSTAR) Program
- Cancer in the Under-Privileged, Indigent or Disadvantaged - The Summer Translational Oncology Program at Johns Hopkins (CUPID)
- Jeanne Spurlock Minority Medical Student Research Fellowships in Substance Abuse and Addiction
- Medical Student Anesthesia Research Fellowship Program
- Medical Student Research Program in Diabetes and Obesity
- Medical Students' Sustained Training and Research Experience in Aging and Mental Health (M-STREAM) Program for Summer Research
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Summer Fellowship Program
- Student Research Training Program in Kidney Disease at Vanderbilt School of Medicine for the summer of 2014
- Summer Medical Student Fellowships in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- University of Maryland School of Medicine's SPORT Program