Sexual Harassment & Assault Resources
Sexual harassment is not tolerated at the School of Medicine. During first-year orientation and again early in the third year before starting clinical rotations, students have mandatory training sessions in sexual harassment and assault. We also offer programs to deal with allegations of sexual harassment and other unacceptable behavior.
Sexual Harassment and Assault Resources and Education (SHARE)
The SHARE Center is a place where students who are the victims of sexual harassment or assault can go for support and advice. A part of the Yale Health Plan, SHARE is located in the Yale Health Center building, 55 Lock St.
SHARE has counselors available to meet or talk with students 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call 432-6653 or go to http://www.yale.edu/yhp/med_services/share.html for more information.
SHARE also offers the following information:
- Emergencies – What to do immediately
- Questions and information
- Resources/student groups
YSM Grievance Board on Sexual Harassment
The School of Medicine also has a Dean’s Board on Sexual Harassment, which has guidelines for dealing with harassment complaints. The guidelines and board members are available on the YSM Sexual Harassment & Assault Resources site.
The ombudsperson is an independent, confidential resource available to help members of the medical school community resolve conflicts and concerns in accordance with university policies. The ombudsperson can be reached at http://info.med.yale.edu/ombuds/. The confidential phone number is 737-4100.
Services offered by the ombudsperson:
- Work with students to resolve sexual harassment complaints without instituting formal grievance procedures.
- Help members of the medical school community who have academic or work-related concerns, including providing counseling to help them understand their options and to negotiate solutions.
- Explain medical school/university policies and, when needed, to make referrals to other university programs and services.
- Serve as a neutral mediator to solve problems and resolve conflicts.