International Students

Getting Started

To begin the financial aid application process, follow the steps outlined on the Instructions page.

2015-2016 Deadline Reminder:March 16, 2015

Deadline to apply for financial aid in order to receive aid by July 1, 2015 term bill

International students will be evaluated for financial aid in the same need-based manner as U.S. citizens (with the one exception of loan sources) and are eligible for Yale School of Medicine scholarship funds as part of their financial aid award.

Required Components of Financial Aid Application

The evaluation of 'need' for financial aid is based on information provided by applicants through the following sources:

These forms must be submitted before financial need can be calculated and a financial aid award is determined.

Important Information

Please click through the sections below for important information concerning student and parent income, employment status of spouses, private loans, Yale resources, and additional contacts.

International applicants must provide income information for themselves and their parents for the 2014 financial year. This information may be provided in one of two ways, depending on the applicant’s circumstances:

  • Submit the local equivalent of a U.S. tax return from the applicant's home country. If this does not exist, you should submit a statement from the employer confirming all income.
  • Provide documentation from the employer confirming 2014 income.

International tax forms and employer certifications must be submitted both in the original language and (if not originally in English) with an accompanying notarized English translation. In addition, all financial aid documents that contain references to non-U.S. currency must include the prevailing exchange rate to U.S. dollars at the time the forms are submitted.

Spouses of students with F-1 status cannot work in the United States. Spouses of J-1 students may apply for employment permission from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services. This approval is essential, as unauthorized employment in the United States by a student's spouse who has a temporary visitor visa could lead to legal complications or even deportation. If you are interested in J-1 student status, as opposed to F-1 student status, please go to the OISS website at You should also speak with an adviser at OISS.

Please note that all loans listed below must be co-signed by a U.S. citizen except where noted:

For more information about the lenders, the terms and conditions of their loans and how to apply, go to the loan provider web pages.

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) is Yale’s representative for all matters relating to foreign nationals and their relationship to the United States government and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service of the Department of Homeland Security. Information about this office can be found at

After receiving a proof of support from a student, OISS will issue a new I-20 form. Students may not use an I-20 or a visa that was supported by another university in the United States. Medical students at Yale, as well as other international graduate and professional students, are generally issued F-1 student status. Information about the F-1 visa may be found at the following OISS site:

Students must provide proof of support for the length of the program. If a student is being supported by a foreign government or agency, the student must have a signed statement from a government or agency official attesting to the level and time period of the support.

Note: This statement can be mailed to the Yale School of Medicine’s Office of Admissions, 367 Cedar St., ESH 2nd Floor, New Haven, CT 06510. Or you can fax it to 203-785-3234, or email it to