How to Apply for Financial Aid

U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents

All financial aid forms are available on our website. Please be aware of our recommended deadline date. The date is to ensure that your financial aid will be reflected on your fall term bill.  If your financial aid application is not completed by March 16, 2015 you may not have your financial aid award in time to pay your fall term bill. If your term bill is not paid August 1 you will incur a late fee.

We recommend that applicants who plan to apply for financial aid have their FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)  and Need Access Application (if applicable) on file with us before the time of acceptance.

To assist you with the financial aid process, we have created a check list of the materials you need to complete.

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: Please visit this section to learn how to apply for financial aid if you are not a permanent resident or citizen of the US. 

Financial Aid Application and Instructions

All applicants and returning students planning to attend Yale School of Medicine during the 2015-2016 academic year must complete the 2015-2016 application. To apply for aid, you must submit the following items:

1. Yale School of Medicine Application for Financial Aid

All incoming and returning students applying for financial assistance must complete the 2015-2016 application form, which is available on our website.

Yale School of Medicine Application for Financial Aid 

Once you have completed the financial aid application, you must complete the Certification of Information form. You can send it to us as an email attachment at, fax it to (203) 785-2924, or mail it to: Yale School of Medicine, Financial Aid Office, 367 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06510, USA.

Certification of Information Form

2. Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

If you are a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident, you will need to complete the FAFSA after January 1, 2015. You can complete your FAFSA online at Yale's School Code is 001426. Be sure that you obtain a PIN number to sign electronically or submit the signature page as instructed. File your 2014 tax return prior to submitting your FAFSA and select the IRS data retrieval option when completing the FAFSA.
FAFSA application information 

3. Need Access Application -MD & Returning PA Students Only- Incoming PA Students qualify for Federal Loans only therefore the Need Access does not need to be completed.

If you want to be considered for Yale School of Medicine funds (Yale Scholarship, Yale Alumni Loan, Perkins Loan, Primary Care Loans) you must complete a Need Access Application as well as a FAFSA. The Need Access Application must include your parents' financial information along with your own income and assets. If you are married, you must include your spouse's income and asset information. If you are planning to be married during the 2015-2016 academic year, you must also provide your finance information. If your parents are divorced or separated, your custodial parent must complete the Need Access Application. The custodial parents will remain the same each year.
Need Access Application Information 

4. 2015-2016 Verification of Income for 2014

Your taxable income must be verified using the FAFSA's IRS Data Retrieval Tool. Yale does not require parents' to provide parent data on the FAFSA. If you filed your federal tax return electronically at least two weeks prior to the date on which you submit your FAFSA, or submitted your paper return 6-8 weeks prior to the date on which you submit your FAFSA, you may be eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool. We strongly encourage you to provide consent to the IRS to upload data from your federal tax return at the time you complete your FAFSA. If you have not completed your tax return yet, you will not be able to use Data Retrieval until you do. However, you can complete the FAFSA using estimates and go back later to complete the Data Retrieval. If you do not use the IRS Data tool, you will need to request an IRS transcript. To request an IRS transcript, go to: and click "Order a Tax Return or Account Transcript."

For all students applying for institutional financial aid, you must submit a complete signed copy of yours and your parents' 2014 tax returns, including all schedules and W-2 forms. Applicants that do not and are not required to file a tax return can submit the Student's Non-Tax Filer Statement (see #7 below). If you are married or engaged you must also provide the information. 

5. 2014 Federal Income Tax Returns (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) - Required if completing the Need Access Application.

A signed copy of the tax return for both you and your parents, including all schedules and the W-2 form(s). All students applying for institutional financial aid must submit a copy of the 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. 

In the case of divorced parents, the custodial parent must submit a signed copy of tax return including all schedules and the W-2 form(s). If your parents are filing separately, we will require a signed copy of both parents' tax returns, W-2 forms and all schedules. 

6. 2015-2016 Parent Non-Tax Filer Income Statement

If your parents did not, and are not required to file a U.S. Federal or Puerto Rican, tax return for 2014, you must provide a 2015-2016 Parent Non-Tax Filing Statement along with income documentation.
Parent Non-Tax Filing Statement

7. 2015-2016 Student Non-Tax Filer Statement

If you did not, and are not required to file a U.S. Federal or Puerto Rican, tax return for 2014, you must provide a Student Non-Tax Filer Statement along with income documentation.
Student Non-Tax Filing Statement

8. 2015-2016 College Scholarship Services Business/Farm Supplement

If your parent(s) own a business or farm they need to complete this form.
Business Farm Supplement

9. Request to disclose financial aid information

All information in your financial aid file is considered confidential. If you want us to discuss any portion of your financial aid award with your parents, or if your parents want to allow us to discuss their financial situation with you, we need permission. A signed Statement of Disclosure form must be provided if you are giving this permission. If you do not sign this form, the details of your financial file will be kept confidential.
Request to Disclose Financial Aid Information