The Office of Education provides central coordination for medical students and faculty related to curriculum and all educational programs offered by YSM. The office also assures that the School of Medicine and all its academic programs comply with the standards put forth by the LCME.
The Office of Education manages the course and clerkship evaluation and review process and assists with the development and implementation of new curriculum.
We encourage students to come to us with any questions or concerns so we can direct them to the staff and offices best suited to help. Confidentiality is respected and accorded at all times.
Services for Years 1 and 2
- Schedule – create yearly schedule; collaborate with faculty to create the yearly schedule for the pre-clerkship course period, including the integrated courses, clinical skills, longitudinal clinical experience, and didactic clerkships and electives.
- BlueDogs – maintain curriculum management system for medical students and faculty. BlueDogs hosts the academic calendar, all curricular materials, self assessments and qualifiers, and the content and faculty evaluation system.
- Podcasting – support and assist in the podcasting of lectures to be posted for student use.
- Qualifiers – assist integrated course directors in the creation of self-assessments and qualifiers, analyze the results, and communicate those results to students, Course Directors and, if needed, to Student Affairs.
- Survey – create and analyze curricular surveys for use during reviews.
Clinical Skills Services
- Organize, coordinate, and manage all clinical skill sessions under the guidance of the director of the Clinical Skills Program, including the Standardized Patient and Tutor Programs.
- Resource – serve as a resource for faculty and students to answer questions about the curriculum, schedule, policies, etc.
- Events – organize special events such as the end-of-year tutor dinner, orientation, Transition, and faculty development sessions.
- Beepers – distribute and replace beepers used by medical students.
- Room reservations – oversee the reservation of rooms for classes, small group sessions, student practice, etc.
- Meetings – oversee the scheduling of a range of meetings, including ad-hoc meetings, review meetings, administrative meetings, advisory group meetings, etc.
- Teaching Awards – organize the collection of nominations for all teaching awards.