- EL Laboratory Medicine Clinical Elective
This elective offers rotations through the clinical laboratories, including Blood Bank, Therapeutic Apheresis, Clinical Chemistry, Toxicology, Hematology & Coagulations, Flow Cytometry, Immunology, Molecular Diagnostics, Microbiology and Virology. The student will work closely with residents, fellows, attendings, and laboratory staff; work up clinical cases under supervision; and attend morning report, case conference, journal club, clinical rounds, and didactic sessions. The student will have the opportunity to work with the resident on-call for at least one weekend day during the elective. The student can rotate through all laboratories, or focus on specific laboratories of interest. The goals of the elective are to learn appropriate usage and interpretation of laboratory tests, and to gain a better understanding of the theoretical and clinical underpinnings of Laboratory Medicine. This elective is appropriate for students considering a career in Laboratory Medicine or combined Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, but also for all students who will use clinical laboratory testing in their careers.
Length of Rotation:2 or 4 weeks (maximum- 2 students)
Scheduling Restriction: Not offered 06/15/2015 - 07/10/2015
Student's Class Level:4th year or May/June of 3rd year
Accept Visiting Students:US yes - International no
- Laboratory Manifestation of Diseases. Know the laboratory manifestations of major diseases and how to interpret laboratory information. Know the most common lab findings for diseases.
- Appropriate Usage and Interpretation of Laboratory Tests: Know the indications for ordering common laboratory tests.
- Laboratory Procedural Skills: Students will have a choice of laboratory procedures to observe in each laboratory.
- Attitude: Demonstrate professional responsibility in working as a team member with other members of the Laboratory medicine team.
- Career/context: Know the theoretical, technological, and clinical underpinnings of the specialty of Laboratory Medicine.
- EL Laboratory Medicine & Anatomic Pathology Combined Elective
- This elective description may be found under the EL Pathology Anatomic Pathology & Laboratory Medicine Combined Elective on the Pathology page.collapse