Complete guidelines for the appointment and promotion process is listed in the YDR Vol Fac Guidelines document. Key concepts:
Service Points: Voluntary faculty must demonstrate their commitment to YDR by earning 24 points of service each academic year (July to June) via Non-Clinical Teaching Service*:
|8||Publication, written with Yale residents/staff (6 points for a case report)1|
|4||Publication without Yale residents/staff. (2 points for case report)2,2|
|6||Presentation of a YDR Grand Rounds lecture|
|4||Meeting presentation with participation of Yale students, residents students, residents, fellows, or faculty3|
|1||Meeting presentation without participation of Yale students, residents, fellows, or faculty3|
|4||Resident Mentoring Session - half day3|
|4||Lecture to YDR residents or fellows|
|4||Board review presentation for YDR residents (points per hour)|
|4||Yale Medical Student Mentoring Sessions-half day4|
|4||Lecture to Yale medical students|
|4||Lecture to technical staff|
|8||PowerPoint presentation on a specific topic donated to YDR for use and modification for future teaching (must be acceptable by section chief)|
|4||Case of Month submission on YDR's website4|
|2||Attendance at YDR Grand Rounds (points per session)|
|2||4 Teaching file cases (definitively proven on the basis of clinical, surgical or histologic grounds) donated to YDR with appropriate descriptions|
|3||Participation in the Voluntary Faculty Committee|
|Advice or service to the Chair and YDR 5|
- Points for publications are allotted in the academic year of FINAL acceptance of the publication.
* in rare cases service is attained by Clinical Supervision Service (see YDR Vol Fac Guidelines)
- Yale Voluntary Appointment title must be included in publication/meeting presentation to achieve service points.
Service points obtained without participation of Yale students, residents, or faculty (by meeting presentation and publication)
cannot exceed 12 points per year.
- Assist with teaching during a clinical review session. Session must be approved by and scheduled with the appropriate Section Chief.
- Case of the Month must be approved by the faculty member's section chief.
- Points will be allotted at the discretion of the Chair, with approval by the Voluntary Faculty Committee.
Evaluation: Teaching skills will be evaluated by students, residents, and staff.
Appointments in Voluntary Faculty Tract:
- Clinical Instructor
- Assistant Clinical Professor
- Associate Clinical Professor
- Clinical Professor
In order to continue an appointment, each member must:
- Attain ≥ 24 service points
- Submit a record each May 1 demonstrating at least 24 services
- Demonstrate adequate teaching skills (as provided by evaluations)