Peters' research is motivated by the desire to generate new imaging methods to improve current diagnostic methods for cardiovascular disease, and improve effectiveness of therapies. She focuses on magnetic resonance imaging. Her group has developed technology for electrophysiologists who treat patients with electrical abnormalities in the heart. These MRI methods allow electrophysiologists to see tissue characteristics responsible for electrical changes. They have also developed new methods for rapid imaging, using underesampled radial MR acquisition strategies. Mosty important, is to develop MRI methods in close collaboration with cardiologists and radiologists to detect early disease and monitor therapy.
Peters is also committed to training a new generation of biomedical imaging scientists. She believes in providing an environment with excellent MRI resources, knowledge about state of the art methods, and important questions in collaboration with clinicians and scientists, to generate creative new solution in medical imaging.
Extensive Research Description
- Imaging of scar in patients with ventricular tachycardia and atrial fibrillation.
- New techniques for improving spatial resolution, motion, and contrast
- application to patients
- Radial imaging with new reconstruction algorithms.
- Non-linear gradient imaging
- Peters DC, Wylie JV, Hauser TH, Nezafat R, Kissinger KV, Goddu B, Han Y, Woo J, Josephson ME, Manning WJ. Recurrence of Atrial Fibrillation following RF ablation Correlates with Extent of Post-procedural Left Atrial Scarring on Late Gadolinium Enhancemen
- Han Y, Peters DC, Manning WJ. A shorter myocardium and blood optimal inversion time difference suggests diffuse fibrosis in dilated cardiomyopathy, JMRI 2009:30:967-972.
- Peters DC, Appelbaum EA, Dokhan B, et al. LV Infarct Size and Peri-Infarct Zone and Papillary Scar Measurements: A Comparison of High Resolution, 3D and Conventional 2D Late Gadolinium Enhancement Cardiac MR. JMRI 2009 30: 794-800.
- Peters DC, Derbyshire JA, McVeigh ER, “Centering the Projection Reconstruction Trajectory”, Magn. Reson. Med, 50, 1-6 (2003).
- Peters DC, Grist TM, Korosec FR, Holden JE, Block WF, Vigen KK, Mistretta CA, "Undersampled Projection Reconstruction Applied to MR Angiography", Magn. Reson. Med. 41, 99 (2000).
- Peters DC, Wylie JV, Botnar RM, Hauser TH, Kissinger KV, Essebag V, Josephson ME, Manning WJ. Detection of Pulmonary Vein and Left Atrial scar After Catheter Ablation Using 3D Navigator-Gated Delayed Enhancement Magnetic Resonance Imaging – Initial Expe