There are opportunities for students, residents, and scholars to visit or participate in Diagnostic Radiology in terms of education, research, or patient care. Charges may be levied, depending on the level of participation.
Visiting Medical Students
Clinical electives within the Department of Yale Diagnostic Radiology are available to visiting US and international medical students who are in their final year of studies. The application and acceptance process occurs through Yale School of Medicine's Office of International Medical Student Education. Description of student electives and requirements are included on the site along with the International Student pdf application form. Additional information can be found through the Yale School of Medicine's Office of Student Affairs.
There is limited availability for “observational” visitations; slots are rewarded preferentially for Yale New Haven Hospital residents. Please contact our HR Assistant, Beth Farrell: phone 203.737.7651
Visiting Radiology Residents
Visiting residents can participate in Diagnostic Radiology residency rotations. In order to participate:
- First, the Section Chief must agree to participate (ie, the Chief must make sure there is availability, adequate attending coverage, etc). This can be arranged through our Program Assistant, Angela Costa. She can be reached by phone at: 203.785.2334.
- Visiting resident institutions must arrange contract and funding (charges levied are based on Yale fee schedule). Please contact our Program Assistant, Angela Costa at 203.785.2334.
- Visiting resident rotations need to be integrated into the overall Diagnostic Radiology schedule to optimize educational opportunities for all. Rotation schedules are developed on a yearly basis by the Chief Resident. The block schedule, running from July through June, is prepared the April before. The program director of the visiting residents must send rotation preferences and coordinate scheduling with the chief resident: contact via Program Assistant, Angela Costa at 203.785.2334.
Upon arrival, prior to Radiology rotation, the visiting resident must fulfill the following requirements:
- Credentialing - Teressa Reese; Phone: 203.785.5253 in Tompkins 2 East.
- Yale ID - Robin Paraiso; Phone: 203.785.7384 in Tompkins 2 East.
- Access to Diagnostic Radiology Information/Imaging Systems – requested by our Credentialing Coordinator. Training on these systems will be scheduled after your arrival by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lastly, orientation to the rotation service - Angela Costa; Phone: 203.785.2334.
Visiting Scholars or fellows must have a Yale Diagnostic Radiology faculty member sponsor in order to visit this department. No funding is available to support such endeavors and there may be fees levied depending on the type of program that is set up. Foreign visitors must be able to show that they are self-sufficient for living expenses. Visiting scholars/fellows are expected to participate in educational or research activities.
Once a faculty member agrees to sponsor a visitor, the Business Office in the Department of Diagnostic Radiology (203.785.2385) should be immediately notified by the sponsoring faculty member as to when a visitor is expected to arrive.
If the visitor is a foreign national (foreign national is a person who is not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S), a Notification Form (http://www.yale.edu/oiss/) should be filled out immediately and sent to the business office along with a current curriculum vitae. If the visitor (US or foreign) is here for observation only with no patient contact, a form letter (see sample) signed by the Chair of the Department should accompany the Notification Form. This material will be sent to the Office of International Students and Scholars where it will be recorded. This procedure should take place well in advance of the arrival of the visitor.
A useful website in regards to departmental appointments is Faculty Affairs. Faculty Rank & Tracks, downloadable forms such as CV formats, description of activities, request for faculty position, faculty search questionnaire, secondary appointments, leaves of absence, and verification of employment can be found here.
Upon the visitor's arrival (US or foreign), the sponsor's secretary should take the visitor to the Business Office to obtain an ID for their stay at Yale. Please call Robin Paraiso at 203.785.7384 for information on all paperwork and for a Yale ID.
The Web site for the Office of International Students & Scholars contains a wealth of information. The University provides assistance to departments that wish to hire or host scholars from abroad. The Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS) is the University's representative for all immigration matters to the Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) as well as to any other government agencies involved in bringing foreign nationals to Yale University (e.g. Departments of State and Labor).
OISS will work with the hiring department and the individual to make certain that Yale and the individual are compliant with all federal laws and regulations prior to the individual commencing employment. For further information, please contact Robin Paraiso in the Department of Diagnostic Radiology at 203.785.7384.