|Smilow Cancer Hospital - 35 Park Street
P.O. Box 208042
New Haven, Ct 06520-8042
Admin Assistant, Lisa Hribko
The section of Yale Ultrasound offers a complete range of ultrasound studies, using state of the art ultrasound equipment. Our facility provides the ultimate in care for both in-patient and out-patient services.
The Yale Ultrasound Department specializes in both screening and diagnostic vascular ultrasound including evaluation of the carotid arteries, aortic aneurysm screening and follow-up, TIPS, transplants, liver vasculature, renal artery/vein stenosis/thrombosis, venous thrombosis, vein mapping, venous reflux, dialysis grafts, peripheral arteries, and arterial bypass graft surveillance. In addition, Yale ultrasound performs non-invasive vascular screening studies including ABIs, PVRs and measurement of IMT (fibrointimal thickness) in the carotid arteries (a screen for asymptomatic cardiovascular disease).
Yale ultrasound is accredited in vascular ultrasound by the ACR/AIUM.
Our sub-specialties include:
- Fine needle aspiration – thyroid, parathyroid, soft tissue masses
- Musculoskeletal US
- Colorectal – anal sphincter, rectal CA staging (one of a few groups in Ct who perform this procedure due to our 360 ° endorectal probe)
- GYN, 1st trimester imaging, ovarian cancer screening
- Abdominal, Renal, Scrotal, Thyroid, Parathyroid imaging
- GYN and first trimester US
- Dialysis graft US
- Carotid US
- IV US contrast
- Transplant complications imaged with US
- Prediction of thyroid cancer and location of Percutaneous Transluminal Angioplasty (PTA)'s by US imaging
- Correlation of vascular US with Magnetic Resonance Angiography (MRA), Computer assisted tomography (CTA) and cardiac echo
- Breast cancer screening
- Breast MRI
- Breast ultrasound and elastography
- Cranial ultrasound
- Vascular ultrasound
- Radiofrequency ablation and chemoembolization of liver tumors
- Venous access in oncology and hemodialysis patients
AWARDS & HONORS
Books & Chapters
- Baltarowich OH and Scoutt LM. Avoiding Pitfalls in Transvaginal Sonography of the Female Pelvis. Ultrasound Clinics. 5: 177-193, 2010.
- Brown DL, Andreotti RF, Lee, SI, Allison SO, Bennett GL, Dubinsky T, Glanc P, Horrow MM, Lev-Toaff AS, Horowitz NS, Podrasky AE, Scoutt LM, Zelop CM. ACR Appropriateness Criteria: Ovarian Cancer Screening. US Quarterly 26: 219-223, 2010.
- Bryan-Rest LL and Scoutt LM. Ectopic Pregnancy. In Gynecologic Imaging. Fielding JR, Brown DL & Thurmond AS, eds. Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA, 2011 pgs 330-355.
- Cicchiello LA, Hamper UM, Scoutt LM. Ultrasound Evaluation of Gynecologic Causes of Pelvic Pain. Obstetrics & Gynecology Clinics. 38: 85-114, 2011. Reprinted from Ultrasound Clinics. 5: 209-231, 2010.
- Hamper UM, DeJong MR, Scoutt LM. Ultrasound Evaluation of the Lower Extremity Veins. Ultrasound Clinics 4:193-216, 2009. (Reprinted from Radiologic Clinics of North America, with permission).
- Hooley RJ, Andrejeva L, and Scoutt LM. Breast Cancer Screening and Problem Solving Using Mammography, Ultrasound, and Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Ultrasound Quarterly 27: 23-47, 2011.
- Horrow MM, Javitt MC, Lev-Toaff AS, Podrasky AE, Scoutt LM and Zelop C. Acute Pelvic Pain in the Reproductive Age Group. ACR Appropriateness Criteria 2009. American College of Radiology 6:235-241, 2009.
- Kirsch JD and Scoutt LM. Imaging of Ectopic Pregnancy. Applied Radiology 39:10-25, 2010.
- Kirsch JD, Hamper UM, Scoutt LM. Venous Sonography of the Upper Extremities and Thoracic Outlet. In Cardiovascular Imaging. Ho, VB & Reddy, GP, Editors, Elsevier, St Louis, Missouri, 2010; Chapter 118: pp 1661 -1672.
- Lee JH, Dubinsky T, Andreaotti RF, Cardenes HR, Allison SOD, Gaffney DK, Glanc P, Horowitz NS, Jhingran A, Lee SI, Puthawala AA, Royal HD, Scoutt LM, Small W, Varia MA, Zelop CM, and Expert Panel on Women’s Imaging and Radiation Oncology-Gynecology. ACR Appropriateness Criteria Pretreatment Evaluation and Follow-up of Endometrial Cancer of the Uterus. Ultrasound Quarterly 27:139-145, 2011.
- Onyiuke IY, Scoutt LM, McCarthy SM. Endometriosis. In Gynecologic Imaging. Fielding JR, Brown DL & Thurmond AS, eds. Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA, 2011 pgs 147-160.
- Practical Sonography for the Radiologist. Categorical Course Syllabus. American Roentgen Ray Society. Eds. Angtuaco TL, Hamper UM, Ralls PW, and Scoutt LM. 2009. Eds. Angtuaco TL, Hamper UM, Ralls PW, and Scoutt LM Practical Sonography for the Radiologist. Categorical Course Syllabus. American Roentgen Ray Society 2009.
- Scoutt L, Kirsch JD, Hamper U. "Ultrasound Evaluation of the Carotid Arteries (Chapter 90)." Cardiovascular Imaging, Vol. I pp. 1227-1250. Elsevier/Saunders Publisher 2011.
- Scoutt LM. Ultrasound: Small Parts. In Approach to Diagnostic: A Case-Based Imaging Review: 2009. Eds. Rosado de Christenson M, Abbott GF, Baumgarten D, Bhalla S. ARRS, Leesburg, VA 2009.
- Scoutt LM and Grant EG. Carotid Ultrasound. In Practical Sonography for the Radiologists: Categorical Course Syllabus 2009. Eds. Angtuaco TL, Hamper UM, Ralls PW and Scoutt LM. ARRS, Leesburg, VA, 2009; pp 99-111.
- Scoutt LM, Thorisson H, Hamper UM. Ultrasound Evaluation of the Portal and Hepatic Veins. in Strandness’s Duplex Scanning in Vascular Disorders, Fourth Edition. Zierler, RE, ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2009. pgs 243-274.
- Scoutt LM. Ultrasound: Vascular in Approach to Diagnosis: A Case-Based Imaging Review. Eds Baumgarten DA, Bhalla S, Salkowski LR, & Yoo DC. ARRS Reston, VA, 2010. pg 11-25-11-30.
- Scoutt LM, Kirsch JD, Hamper UM. Ultrasound Evaluation of the Carotid Arteries. In Cardiovascular Imaging. Ho, VB & Reddy, GP, editors, Elsevier, St Louis, Missouri, 2010; Chapter 90: pp 1227-1250.
- Scoutt LM. Carotid Ultrasound 2011: Challenges and Controversies. SAMS for ARRS.
- Scoutt LM. Ultrasound: Vascular in Approach to Diagnosis: A Case-Based Imaging Review. Eds Baumgarten DA, Bhalla S, Salkowski LR, & Yoo DC. ARRS Reston, VA, 2011. pg 11-25-11-30.
- Wolfman, DJ, Ascher SM, Hricak H, Cooper C & Scoutt L. Diagnostic Imaging Techniques in Gynecologic Oncology. In Principles and Practice of Gynecologic Oncology. Eds. Barakat RR, Markman M, and Randall ME. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2009.
- , Pellerito JS. “Ultrasound Assessment of the Renal Arteries” [IN] John S Pellerito, M.D. (ed). Introduction to Vascular Ultrasonography, 2010.
- Gunabushanam G, Shankar S, Czerniach DR, Kelly JJ, Perugini RA. Small-bowel obstruction after Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. J Comput Assist Tomogr 2009; 33: 369-375.
- Hanna S, Scoutt L, and Israel G. Ultrasound and MR identification of ectopic gallstones as a complication of laparoscopic cholecystectomy. European Journal of Radiology Extra 77: e95-97, 2011 (Case report).
- Kirsch JD, Scoutt LS. “Imaging of Ectopic Pregnancy”. Applied Radiology 2010; 39, No. 3, p:10-25.
- Pellerito JS, Revzin MV, Tsang JC, Greben CR, Naidich JB. “Doppler Sonographic Criteria for the Diagnosis of Inferior Mesenteric Artery Stenosis. ”Journal of Ultrasound Medicine, 2009 May; 28(5):641-50.