Biochemistry; Biophysics; Dermatitis, Atopic; Dermatology; Epidermis; Molecular Biology; Skin; Ichthyosis Vulgaris; Crystallography, X-Ray; Computational Biology; Proteomics
Dermatology: Middlebury Dermatology
Thomas Steitz Lab
Dr. Bunick uses a technique called x-ray crystallography to determine the high resolution, three-dimensional structures of proteins important to both normal and diseased skin. Knowing the structure of various skin proteins enables a better understand of how a protein functions in normal and diseased skin states. Ultimately, it may lead to the development of novel therapies.
Specialized Terms: structural biology of skin proteins; x-ray crystallography; epidermal structure and function; structure-based drug design
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Bunick has over 20 years of research experience in x-ray crystallography of proteins. He currently is the only American Board of Dermatology certified dermatologist who performs primary crystallography research. His work is determining the 3D structures of proteins important for skin barrier formation. For example, he has determined the crystal structure of the N-terminus of human profilaggrin, an important protein for maintaining a normal skin barrier. Problems with profilaggrin can lead to the human skin diseases atopic dermatitis and ichthyosis vulgaris. The structural biology research in Dr. Bunick's laboratory offers biochemical understanding of how the human skin barrier forms and functions, and offers the ability to perform structure-based therapeutic design.
- Crystal Structure of Human Profilaggrin S100 Domain and Identification of Target Proteins Annexin II, Stratifin and hsp27. Bunick CG, Presland RB, Lawrence OT, Pearton DJ, Milstone LM, Steitz TA. (2015) J Invest Dermatol. 2015 Mar 11. doi: 10.1038/jid.2015.102. PMID: 25760235
- Genomic landscape of cutaneous T cell lymphoma Choi J, Goh G, Walradt T, Hong BS, Bunick CG, Chen K, Bjornson RD, Maman Y, Wang T, Tordoff J, Carlson K, Overton JD, Liu KJ, Lewis JM, Devine L, Barbarotta L, Foss FM, Subtil A, Vonderheid EC, Edelson RL, Schatz DG, Boggon TJ, Girardi M, Lifton RP. Genomic landscape of cutaneous T cell lymphoma. Nature Genetics 2015, 47(9):1011-9, doi:10.1038/ng.3356.
- Perspectives on physiology and medicine from nobel prize winners: the 64th lindau nobel laureate meeting. Bunick CG. (2014) J Invest Dermatol. Dec;134(12):2853-5.
- The role of infliximab in the treatment of superficial granulomatous pyoderma of the head and neck. Ibrahim O, Bunick CG, Srivastava B, Lazova R, Ko CJ, Watsky KL. (2014) J Am Acad Dermatol. Nov;71(5):e222-5.
- When erythema ab igne warrants an evaluation for internal malignancy. Bunick CG, Ibrahim O, King BA. (2014) Int J Dermatol, Jul;53(7):e353-5.
- Biochemical and structural domain analysis of xeroderma pigmentosum complementation group C protein. Bunick, CG, Miller, MR, Fuller, BE, Fanning, E, Chazin, WJ. (2006) Biochemistry 45(50), 14965-79.
- Designing sequence to control protein function in an EF-Hand protein. Bunick, CG, Nelson, MR, Mangahas, S, Hunter, MJ, Sheehan, JH, Mizoue, LS, Bunick, GJ, Chazin, WJ. (2004) J Am Chem Soc, 126(19), 5990-5998.