NHLBI Center for Cardiovascular Outcomes Research (CCOR) at Yale University
Press - 2013 & Earlier
"All water pills not equally effective against heart failure"
Science Daily, April 1, 2013
"New Data to Consider in D.N.R. Decisions"
The New Old Age blog via The New York Times, March 14, 2013
"Cardiac Arrest Survivors Have Better Outlook Than Doctors Think"
NPR, March 14, 2013
"Publications of clinical trials often delayed by several years"
Oncology Nurse Advisor, March 7, 2013
"Deaths may not lower hospital readmission rates"
Yale Daily News, February 19, 2013
"Income inequality equals more hospital readmissions"
Medwire News, February 19, 2013
"AMA details plan for cutting hospital readmissions"
American Medical News, February 18, 2013
"Income inequality associated with higher risk of hospital readmission"
The Incidental Economist, February 16, 2013
"Rich/poor divide linked to hospital readmissions in study"
HealthDay News, February 15, 2013
"Income inequality linked to hospital readmission"
Medical News Today, February 15, 2013
"Hospitalization: Strong link between income inequality and readmission risk, but not mortality"
Science Daily, February 14, 2013
"No link between hospital readmissions and death rates, says study"
Yale News, February 13, 2013
"Higher hospital readmissions aren't linked to fewer deaths, study finds"
Kaiser Health News, February 12, 2013
"Performance measures: 30-day mortality, readmission rates found independent"
Internal Medicine News, February 12, 2013
"Medicare analysis shows hospitals can lower mortality and readmission rates"
TheHeart.org, February 12, 2013
"Hospital deaths and readmissions not linked: study"
Reuters Health, February 12, 2013
"Walk speed is marker for HF hospitalization risk"
MedPage Today, February 5, 2013
"Postdischarge period poses perils"
Yale Daily News, January 29, 2013
"Medicare readmissions common, diagnoses new"
MedPage Today, January 23, 2013
"Spectrum of 30-day readmission risks seen after HF, acute MI hospitalizations"
TheHeart.org, January 22, 2013
"Marks better on in-hospital cardiac arrest"
MedPage Today, November 14, 2012
"Survival following in-hospital cardiac arrest improving in the US"
TheHeart.org, November 14, 2012
"Minute by Minute, the Race to Open a Blocked Artery"
Wall Street Journal, September 10, 2012
"The Fraying Hospital Safety Net"
The New York Times, September 6, 2012
"Circ: Hospitals that perform more, spend more"
Cardiovascular Business, May 15, 2012
"Improved survival rates for mitral valve heart surgery patients"
News.Yale.edu, May 10, 2012
"Hospitals performing expensive heart procedures are more costly for all patients" (Link to Video)
News.Yale.edu, May 10, 2012
"Want to cut health care costs? Start here."
WashingtonPost.com, April 21, 2012
"Heart Attack Survival Varies Widely Among Hospitals, Study Finds"
USNews.com, April 20, 2012
"A Yale clinician ponders the ethics of a seeding trial masquerading as research"
YaleMedicine.Yale.edu, Winter 2012
"Why do cardiologists often pass up safe, low-tech treatments for chest pain?"
WashingtonPost.com, February 6, 2012
"Death Rate Measure Used to Judge Hospital Quality May be Misleading"
ScienceDaily.com, January 3, 2012
"Hospital Transfers for PCI Rarely Fast Enough"
MedPageToday.com, November 28, 2011
"Heart Failure Puts Fewer in Hospital"
Wall Street Journal, October 19, 2011
"Heart Failure Hospitalization Rate Drops 30% in 10 Years"
Cardiobrief.org, October 18, 2011
"Door-to-balloon time closing in on one hour."
Forbes, August 23, 2011
"Death rates higher for patients in U.S. Territories"
Fox News, June 29, 2011
"Young Investigator Finalists, QCOR 2011"
American Heart Association Science News, May 13, 2011
"Fewer Medicare patients hospitalized for heart trouble"
U.S. News & World Report, May 11, 2011
"Cards need to embrace quality metrics"
CMIO, April 7, 2011
"New cardiovascular outcomes center promotes better patient care"
Yale Office of Public Affairs and Communication, October 7, 2010
Publications - 2013 & Earlier
- Chen J, Hsieh AF, Dharmarajan K, Masoudi FA, Krumholz HM. National trends in heart failure hospitalization after acute myocardial infarction for Medicare beneficiaries:1998-2010. Circulation. 2013;128:2577-84.
- Bikdeli B, Wang Y, Kim N, Desai MM, Quagliarello V, Krumholz HM. Trends in hospitalization rates and outcomes of endocarditis among medicare beneficiaries. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;62:2217-26.
- Wang EA, Wang Y, Krumholz HM. A high risk of hospitalization following release from correctional facilities in Medicare beneficiaries: a retrospective matched cohort study, 2002 to 2010. JAMA Intern Med. 2013;173:1621-8.
- Krumholz HM. Target cardiovascular risk rather than cholesterol concentration. BMJ. 2013;347:f7110.
- Dharmarajan K, Hsieh AF, Lin Z, Bueno H, Ross JS, Horwitz LI, Barreto-Filho JA, Kim N, Suter LG, Bernheim SM, Drye EE, Krumholz HM. Hospital readmission performance and patterns of readmission: retrospective cohort study of Medicare admissions. BMJ. 2013;347:f6571.
- Barreto-Filho JA, Wang Y, Rathore SS, Spatz ES, Ross JS, Nallamothu BK, Normand SL, Krumholz HM. Transfer rates from nonprocedure hospitals after initial admission and outcomes among elderly patients with acute myocardial infarction. JAMA Intern Med. 2014;174:213-22.
- Lipska KJ, Warton EM, Huang ES, Moffet HH, Inzucchi SE, Krumholz HM, Karter AJ. HbA1c and risk of severe hypoglycemia in type 2 diabetes: the diabetes and aging study. Diabetes Care. 2013;6:3535-42.
- Barreto-Filho JA, Wang Y, Dodson JA, Desai MM, Sugeng L, Geirsson A, Krumholz HM. Trends in aortic valve replacement for elderly patients in the United States, 1999-2011. JAMA. 2013;310:2078-85.
- Bradley EH, Sipsma H, Curry L, Mehrotra D, Horwitz LI, Krumholz HM. Quality collaboratives and campaigns to reduce readmissions: what strategies are hospitals using? J Hosp Med. 2013;11:601-8.
- Dharmarajan K, Li J, Li X, Lin Z, Krumholz HM, Jiang L; China PEACE Collaborative Group. The China patient-centered evaluative assessment of cardiac events (China PEACE) retrospective study of acute myocardial infarction: study design. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2013;6:732-40.
- Chen LM, Nallamothu BK, Krumholz HM, Spertus JA, Tang F, Chan PS; American Heart Association’s Get With The Guidelines-Resuscitation Investigators. Association between a hospital's quality performance for in-hospital cardiac arrest and common medical conditions. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2013;6:700-7.
- Dharmarajan K, Strait KM, Lagu T, Lindenauer PK, Tinetti ME, Lynn J, Li SX, Krumholz HM. Acute decompensated heart failure is routinely treated as a cardiopulmonary syndrome. PLoS One. 2013;8:e78222.
- Horwitz LI, Moriarty JP, Chen C, Fogerty RL, Brewster UC, Kanade S, Ziaeian B, Jenq GY, Krumholz HM. Quality of discharge practices and patient understanding at an academic medical center. JAMA Intern Med. 2013;173:1715-22.
- Krumholz HM. Grant applications with a result-based orientation. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2013;6:507-8.
- Partovian C, Li S, Xu X, et al. Patterns of change in nesiritide use in patients with heart failure: how hospitals react to new information. JACC HF. 2013;1:318-324.
- Dharmarajan K, Masoudi FA, Spertus JA, Li S-X, Krumholz HM. Contraindicated initiation of beta blockers in patients hospitalized with heart failure. JAMA Intern Med. 2013;173:1547-9.
- Leifheit-Limson EC, Spertus JA, Reid KJ, Jones SB, Vaccarino V, Krumholz HM, Lichtman JH. Prevalence of traditional cardiac risk factors and secondary prevention among patients hospitalized for acute myocardial infarction (AMI): variation by age, sex, and race. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2013;8:659-66.
- Krumholz HM. Variations in health care, patient preferences, and high-quality decision making. JAMA. 2013;310:151-2.
- Krumholz HM. How do we know the value of our research? Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2013;6:371-2.
- Lagu T, Krumholz HM, Dharmarajan K, Partovian C, Kim N, Mody PS, Li S.-X, Strait KM, Lindenauer PK. Spending more, doing more, or both? An alternative method for quantifying utilization during hospitalizations. J Hosp Med. 2013;8:373-9.
- Kulkarni VT, Ross J, Wang Y, Krumholz HM. Regional density of cardiologists and rates of mortality for acute myocardial infarction and heart failure. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2013;6:352-9.
- Fox J, Suter LG, Wang K, Wang, Y, Krumholz HM, Ross JS. Hospital-based, acute care needs within 30-days of discharge from coronary artery bypass surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013;96:96-104.
- Ross J, Krumholz HM. Implications of clinical trial data sharing for medical writers. Medical Writing. 2013;22:45-9.
- Spatz E, Canavan ME, Desai MM, Krumholz HM, Lindau ST. Sexual activity and function among middle-aged and older men and women with hypertension. J Hypertens. 2013;31:1096-105.
- Chen J, Dharmarajan K, Wang Y, Krumholz HM. National trends in heart failure hospital stay rates, 2001-2009. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;61:1078-88.
- Gupta A, Desai MM, Kim N, Bulsara KR, Wang Y, Krumholz HM. Trends in intracranial stenting among Medicare beneficiaries in the United States, 2006-2010. J Am Heart Assoc. 2013;2:e000084.
- Horwitz LI, Jenq GY, Brewster UC, Chen C, Kanade S, Van Ness PH, Araujo KL, Ziaeian B, Moriarty JP, Fogerty RL, Krumholz HM. Comprehensive quality assessment of discharge summaries at an academic medical center. J Hosp Med. 2013;8:436-43
- Jackevicius CA, Tu JV, Krumholz HM. Statins: Is it Safe and Effective to Use Generic "Equivalents"? Can J Cardiol. 2013;29:408-10.
- Chan PS, Nallamothu BK, Krumholz HM, Spertus JA, Li Y, Hammill BG, Curtis LH; American Heart Association Get with the Guidelines Resuscitation Investigators. Long-term outcomes of elderly survivors of in-hospital cardiac arrest. N Engl J Med. 2013;368:1019-26.
- Bikdeli B, Strait KM, Dharmarajan K, Partovian C, Coca SG, Kim N, Li SX, Testani JM, Khan U, Krumholz HM. Dominance of furosemide for loop diuretic therapy in heart failure: Time to revisit the alternatives? J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;61:1549-50.
- Krumholz HM, Bradley EH, Curry LA. Promoting publication of rigorous qualitative research. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2013;6:133-4.
- Cook N, Bonds DE, Kiefe CI, Curtis JP, Krumholz HM, Kressin NR, Peterson ED, NHLBI CCOR Writing Group. 2013. Centers for Cardiovascular Outcomes Research: Defining a collaborative vision. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2013;6:223-8.
- Ross JS, Mocanu M, Lampropulos JF, Tse T, Krumholz HM. Time to publication among completed clinical trials. JAMA Intern Med. 2013;13:1-3.
- Cherlin EJ, Curry LA, Thompson JW, Greysen SR, Spatz E, Krumholz HM, Bradley EH. Features of high quality discharge planning for patients following acute myocardial infarction. J Gen Intern Med. 2013; 28:436-43.
- Selby JV, Krumholz HM. Ethical oversights: Serving the best interests of patients. Commentary. Hastings Cent Rep. 2013; Spec No:S34-6.
- Safavi K, Dharmarajan K, Kim N, Strait KM, Li S-X, Chen SI, Lagu T, Krumholz HM. Variation exists in rates of admission to intensive care units for heart failure patients across hospitals in the United States. Circulation. 2013; 127:923-9.
- Lindenauer PK, Lagu T, Rothberg MB, Avrunin J, Pekow PS, Wang Y, Krumholz HM. Income inequality and 30 day outcomes after acute myocardial infarction, heart failure, and pneumonia: retrospective cohort study. BMJ. 2013; 346:f521.
- Krumholz HM, Lin Z, Keenan PS, Chen J, Ross JS, Drye EE, Bernheim SM, Wang Y, Bradley EH, Han LF, Normand SL. Relationship between hospital readmission and mortality rates for patients hospitalized with acute myocardial infarction, heart failure, or pneumonia. JAMA. 2013; 309:587-93.
- Chaudhry SI, McAvay G, Chen S, Whitson H, Newman AB, Krumholz HM, Gill TM. Risk factors for hospitalization among older persons newly diagnosed with heart failure: the Cardiovascular Health Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 61:635-42.
- Green JB, Ross JS, Jackevicius CA, Shah ND, Krumholz HM. When choosing statin therapy: The case for generics. JAMAIntern Med. 2013; 173:229-32.
- Goldberger ZD, Chan PS, Cooke CR, Hayward RA, Krumholz HM, Nallamothu BK. Duration of resuscitation efforts and survival after in-hospital cardiac arrest - Authors' reply. Lancet. 2013;381:447.
- Landman AB, Spatz ES, Cherlin EJ, Krumholz HM, Bradley EH, Curry LA. Hospital collaboration with emergency medical services in the care of patients with acute myocardial infarction: perspectives from key hospital staff. Ann Emerg Med. 2013; 61:185-95.
- Krumholz H, Lin Z, Normand SL. Measuring hospital clinical outcomes. BMJ. 2013; 346:f620.
- Krumholz H, Jackevicius CA, Ross JS. Tamiflu: 14 flu seasons and still questions. BMJ. 2013; 346:f547.
- Dharmarajan K, Hsieh AF, Lin Z, Bueno H, Ross JS, Horwitz LI, Barreto-Filho JA, Kim N, Bernheim SM, Suter LG, Drye EE, Krumholz HM. Diagnoses and timing of 30-day readmissions after hospitalization for heart failure, acute myocardial infarction, or pneumonia. JAMA. 2013; 309:355-63.
- Yun K, Fuentes-Afflick E, Curry LA, Krumholz HM, Desai MM. Parental immigration status is associated with children's health care utilization: Findings from the 2033 New Immigrant Survey of US Legal Permanent Residents. Matern Child Health J. 2013; Dec;17:1913-21
- Krumholz HM. Post-hospital syndrome-an acquired, transient condition of generalized risk. N Engl J Med. 2013; 368:100-2.
- Curry LA, Krumholz HM, O'Cathain A, Clark VL, Cherlin E, Bradley EH. Mixed methods in biomedical and health services research. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2013; 6:119-23.
- Rathi V, Dzara K, Gross CP, Hrynaszkiewicz I, Joffe S, Krumholz HM, Strait KM, Ross JS. Sharing of clinical trial data among trialists: a cross sectional survey. BMJ. 2012; 345:e7570.
- Fox JP, Desai MM, Krumholz HM, Gross CP. Hospital-level outcomes associated with laparoscopic colectomy for cancer in the minimally invasive era. J Gastrointest Surg. 2012; 16:2112-19.
- Horwitz LI, Wang Y, Desai MM, Curry LA, Bradley EH, Drye EE, Krumholz HM. Correlations among risk-standardized mortality rates and among risk-standardized readmission rates within hospitals. J Hosp Med. 2012; 7:690-6.
- Goldberger ZD, Chan PS, Berg RA, Kronick SL, Cooke CR, Lu M, Banerjee M, Hayward RA, Krumholz HM, Nallamothu B. Duration of resuscitation efforts and survival after in-hospital cardiac arrest: an observational study. Lancet. 2012; 380:1473-81.
- Shah SJ, Krumholz HM, Reid KJ, Rathore SS, Mandawat A, Spertus JA, Ross JS. Financial stress and outcomes after acute myocardial infarction. PLoS One. 2012; 7:e47420.
- Downing NS, Ross JS, Krumholz HM. Generic competition in a flawed system: pill them, bill them-reply. Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172:1522-3.
- Partovian C, Gleim SR, Mody PS, Li S-X, Wang H, Strait KM, Allen LA, Lagu T, Normand SL, Krumholz HM. Hospital patterns of use of positive inotropic agents in patients with heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012; 60:1402-9.
- Curtis JP, Geary LL, Wang Y, Chen J, Drye EE, Grosso LM, Spertus JA, Rumsfeld JS, Weintraub QS, Masoudi FA, Brindis R, Krumholz HM. Development of 2 registry-based risk models suitable for characterizing hospital performance on 30-day all-cause mortality rates among patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2012; 5:628-37.
- Lovig KO, Horwitz L, Lipska K, Kosiborod M, Krumholz HM, Inzucchi SE. Discontinuation of antihyperglycemic therapy after acute myocardial infarction: medical necessity or medical error? Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2012; 38:403-7.
- Bradley EH, Curry LA, Horwitz LI, Sipsma H, Thompson JW, Elma M, Norine Walsh M, Krumholz HM. Contemporary evidence about hospital strategies for reducing 30-day readmissions: A national study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;60:607-14.
- Bucholz E.M, Rathore SS, Reid KJ, Jones PG, Chan PS, Rich MW, Spertus JA, Krumholz HM. Body mass index and mortality in acute myocardial infarction patients. Am J Med. 2012; 125:796-803.
- Ross JS, Bernheim SM, Lin Z, Drye EE, Chen J, Normand SL, Krumholz HM. Based on key measures, care quality for Medicare enrollees at safety-net and non-safety-net hospitals was almost equal. Health Affairs. 2012; 31:1739-48.
- Downing N, Ross JS, Jackevicius CA, Krumholz HM. Avoidance of generic competition by Abbott Laboratories' fenofibrate franchise. Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172:724-30.
- Bucholz E, Krumholz HM. Loneliness and Living Alone: What Are We Really Measuring? Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172:1084-5.
- Krumholz HM. Documenting the methods history: Would it improve the interpretability of studies? Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2012; 5:418-19.
- Goodrich K, Krumholz HM, Conway PH, Lindenauer P, Auerbach AD. Hospitalization utilization and hospital performance on 6 publicly reported patient outcomes. Hosp Med. 2012; 7:482-8.
- Chen, SI, Dharmarajan K, Kim N, Strait KM, Li S-X, Safavi KC, Lindenauer PK, Krumholz HM, Lagu T. Procedure intensity and the cost of care. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2012; 5:308-13.
- Dodson JA, Wang Y, Desai MM, Barreto-Filho JA, Sugeng L, Hashim SW, Krumholz HM. Outcomes for mitral valve surgery among Medicare fee-for-service beneficiaries, 1999 to 2008. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2012; 5:298-307.
- Wang OJ, Wang Y, Chen J, Krumholz HM. Recent trends in hospitalization for acute myocardial infarction. Am J Cardiol. 2012; 109:1589-93.
- Bradley EH, Curry LA, Spatz ES,Herrin J, Cherlin EJ, Curtis JP, Thompson JW, Ting HH, Wang Y, Krumholz HM. Hospital Strategies for Reducing Risk-Standardized Mortality Rates in Acute Myocardial Infarction. Ann Intern Med. 2012; 156:618-26.
- Kulkarni VT, Shah SJ, Bernheim SM, Wang Y, Normand SL, Han LF, Rapp MT, Drye EE, Krumholz HM. Regional associations between Medicare Advantage penetration and administrative claims-based measures of hospital outcomes. Med Care. 2012; 50:406-9.
- Drye EE, Normand SL, Ross JS, Schreiner GC, Han L, Rapp M, Krumholz HM. Comparison of hospital risk-standardized mortality rates calculated by using in-hospital and 30-day models: an observational study with implications for hospital profiling. Ann Intern Med. 2012; 156:19-26.
- Curtis JP,Rathore SS, Wang Y-F, Chen J, Nallamothu B, Krumholz HM. Use and effectiveness of intra-aortic balloon pumps among patients undergoing high risk percutaneous coronary intervention: insights from the CATHPCI Registry. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2012; 5:21-30.
- Chen J, Ross JS, Carlson MD, Lin Z, Normand SL, Bernheim SM, Drye EE, Ling SM, Han LF, Rapp MT, Krumholz HM,. Skilled nursing facility referral and hospital readmission rates after heart failure of myocardial infarction. Am J Med. 2012; 125:100.e1-9.
- Krumholz HM, Curry LA, Bradley EH. Survival after acute myocardial infarction (SAMI) study: the design and implementation of a positive deviance study. Am Heart J. 2011; 162:981-7.
- Herrin J, Miller LE, Turkmani DF, Nsa W, Drye EE, Bernheim SM, Ling SM, Rapp MT, Han LF, Bratzler DW, Bradley EH, Nallamothu BK, Ting HH, Krumholz HM. National performance on door-in door-out among patients transferred for primary percutaneous coronary intervention. Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171:1879-86.
- Bucholz EM, Rathore SS, Gosch K, Schoenfeld A, Jones PG, Buchanan DM, Spertus JA, Krumholz HM. Effect of living alone on patient outcomes after hospitalization for acute myocardial infarction. Am J Cardiol. 2011; 108:943-8.
- Krumholz HM, Herrin J, Miller LE, Drye EE, Ling SM, Han LF, Rapp MT, Bradley EH, Nallamothu BK, Nsa W, Bratzler DW, Curtis JP. Improvements in door-to-balloon time in the United States, 2005-2010. Circulation. 2011; 124:1038-45.
- Chen, J, Normand SL, Wang Y, Krumholz HM. National and Regional Trends in Heart Failure Hospitalization and Mortality Rates for Medicare Beneficiaries, 1998-2008. JAMA. 2011; 306: 1669-78.
- Nunez-Smith, M, Bradley EH, Herrin J, Santana C, Curry LA, Normand SL, Krumholz HM. Quality of Care in the US Territories. Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171:1528-40
- Curry, LA, Spatz E, Cherlin E, Thompson JW, Berg D, Ting HH, Decker C, Krumholz HM, Bradley EH. What Distinguishes Top-Performing Hospitals in Acute Myocardial Infarction Mortality Rates? Annals of Internal Medicine. 2011; 154: 384-90.