Cardiology; Geriatrics; Quality of Health Care; Hospital Medicine
Public Health Interests
Health Care Quality; Medicare/Medicaid
Dr. Dharmarajan's primary interests are in improving health outcomes for older persons with cardiovascular disease. His work has made fundamental contributions to understanding the vulnerability experienced by patients after hospitalization as well as important ways in which hospitals and health systems can help patients avoid rehospitalization. His current work examines the following questions:
1. Has federal policy to reduce hospital readmissions also impacted patient mortality after hospitalization?
2. Have recent reductions in 30-day readmissions across the US been counterbalanced by increased readmissions after the first month following hospitalization?
3. Do common geriatric conditions predict 30-day readmission after hospitalization for common medical conditions?
4. Are estimates for hospital quality using data for Medicare beneficiaries broadly reflective of quality throughout an institution?
5. What are the determinants of recovery in health status (symptoms, functional status, quality of life) after hospitalization?
- Dharmarajan K., Qin L., Lin Z., Horwitz L.I., Ross J.S., Drye E.E., Keshawarz A., Altaf F.K., Normand, S.L., Krumholz H.M., Bernheim S.M. Declining admission rates and thirty-day readmission rates positively associated even though patients grew sicker over time. Health Aff. (Millwood). 2016 Jul 1;35(7):1294-1302.
- Dharmarajan K., Hsieh A.F., Kulkarni V.T., Lin Z., Ross J.S., Horwitz L.I., Kim N., Suter L.G., Lin H., Normand S.L., Krumholz H.M. Trajectories of risk after hospitalization for heart failure, acute myocardial infarction, or pneumonia: retrospective cohort study. BMJ. 2015 Feb 5;350:h411.
- Dharmarajan K., Jing L., Xi L., Lin Z., Krumholz H.M., Jiang L.; for the China PEACE Collaborative Group. The China PEACE (patient-centered evaluative assessment of cardiac events) retrospective study of acute myocardial infarction: study design. Circ. Cardiovasc. Qual. Outcomes. 2013 Nov;6(6):732-40.
- Dharmarajan K., Hsieh A.F., Lin Z., Bueno H., Ross J.S., Horwitz L.I., Barreto-Filho J.A., Kim N., Suter L.G., Bernheim S.M., Drye E.E., Krumholz H.M. Hospital readmission performance and patterns of rehospitalization: a retrospective cohort study of Medicare hospitalizations. BMJ. 2013 Nov 20;347:f6571.
- Dharmarajan K., Strait K.M., Lagu T., Lindenauer P.K., Tinetti M.E., Lynn J., Li S.X., Krumholz H.M. Acute decompensated heart failure is routinely treated as a cardiopulmonary syndrome. PLoS One. 8(10): e78222.
- Dharmarajan K., Masoudi F.A., Spertus J.A., Li S.X., Krumholz H.M. Contraindicated initiation of beta blocker therapy in patients hospitalized for heart failure. JAMA Intern. Med. 2013 Sep 9;173(16):1547-9.
- Dharmarajan K., Hsieh A.F., Lin Z., Bueno H., Ross J.S., Horwitz L.I., Barreto-Filho J.A., Kim N., Bernheim S.M., Suter L.G., Drye E.E., Krumholz H.M. Diagnoses and timing of 30-day readmissions after hospitalization for heart failure, acute myocardial infarction, or pneumonia. JAMA. 2013 Jan 23;309(4):355-63.
- Dharmarajan K., Maurer M.S. Transthyretin cardiac amyloidosis in older North Americans. J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2012 Apr;60(4):765-74.