Karen Barbara Dorsey MD, PhD
Associate Research Scientist in Pediatrics (General Pediatrics)
Clinical quality measurement; Quality improvement; Use of electronic health record data for quality measurement
My research is intended to inform the design and evaluation of interventions both within clinical settings, communities, and in collaboration with larger public policy initiatives to reduce obesity prevalence and the prevalence of related metabolic and cardiovascular disease. I am particularly interested in research that will directly lead to the prevention and treatment of childhood obesity and in seeing new knowledge translated into action on the community level. I have made a personal commitment to studying health care issues that affect Latino populations. I am interested in these groups because of their urgent need for sophisticated and effective medical services related to obesity prevention and treatment. Working collaboratively with community members and organizations ensures that the research I conduct is important to the community and that it positively impacts those most affected by the obesity epidemic.
- Dorsey KB, Herrin J, Krumholz HM. Patterns of moderate and vigorous physical activity in obese and overweight compared with non-overweight children. International Journal of Pediatric Obesity. 2011 Jun;6(2-2):e547-55. Epub 2010 Oct 1. PMID: 20883127.
- Dorsey KB, Mauldon M, Magraw R, Yu S, Krumholz HM. Do self- or parent-reported dietary, physical activity and sedentary behaviors predict worsening obesity in children? The Journal of Pediatrics. 2010 Oct;157(4):566-71. Epub 2010 Jun 12. PMID: 20542293.PMC2936814
- Dorsey KB, Thornton JC, Heymsfield SB, Gallagher D. Greater lean tissue and skeletal muscle mass are associated with higher bone mineral content in children. Nutrition and Metabolism. 2010 May 11;7:41. PMID: 20459832. PMCID: PMC2886077
- Dorsey KB, Mauldon M, Magraw R, Valka J, Yu S, Krumholz, HM. Applying practice recommendations for the prevention and treatment of obesity in children and adolescents. Clinical Pediatrics. 2010 Feb;49(2):137-45. PMID: 20080520
- Dorsey KB, Herrin J, Krumholz HM, Irwin M. The utility of shorter epochs in direct motion monitoring. Research Quarterly for exercise and Sport. 2009; 80(3):1-9.
- Dorsey KB, Herrin J, Krumholz HM. An algorithm for identifying physical activity patterns from motion data. Pediatric Exercise Science. 2008; 20(3): 305-18.
- Dorsey KB, Wells C, Krumholz HM, Concato J. Diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of obese children in practice. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine. 2005; 159(7): 632-8.